Dartmouth College

Students are required to complete general education requirements. This includes art, western, non-western, etc...The requirements are so broad that a student does not necessarily have to take an art class to fulfill the requirement, but instead could take for example, an art history class. We have great study abroad opportunities (more than half of the student body studies abroad at least once). The class sizes are relatively small (most are 35 and under) so it is very easy to develop a relationship with professors. Dartmouth really has an undergraduate focus, so everything is essentially about the undergraduates. This makes it very easy to get research experience.

The quality of life is great. I have never had a problem finding housing or with the cost. The library and other facilities are very accessible. The crime rate is very low, if there is any at all. It is really a community feeling on campus.

Every applicant is required to submit the Common Application plus a peer recommendation letter. We are also a need based, need-blind school which means the applicants ability to pay is not considered in the reading process and we give aid based upon the student's demonstrated need. We do give applicants a chance to interview with alums if possible.

In order to graduate, students must complete a major, a first year writing course, a first-year seminar, a foreign language requirement, and a number of distributive requirements. These distributive requirements include courses the following areas: Art, Literature,Systems and Traditions of Thought, Meaning and Value, International or Comparative Studies, Social Analysis (2), Quantitative and Deductive Reasoning, Natural and Physical Science (2), and Technology or Applied Science. It is not very hard to fulfill these courses during one's time at Dartmouth.

Class sizes are decent. Most courses will have between 10-30 students except for some of your bigger entry level science courses. All classes are taught by professors and professors are very accessible outside of class. All professors are required to have office hours every week. These are scheduled times when they will be in their offices and available to talk to students. As early as freshmen year, students have access to research opportunities with professors.

Study Abroad is very easy to do at Dartmouth. At least 60% of Dartmouth students study abroad at least once during there time here. Dartmouth offers 45 study-abroad programs and students can complete up to three of them during there Dartmouth career.

Housing at Dartmouth is really nice ans as a student you don't really have to pay for many things off campus. The library's are great and you can generally find some place to study.

As a person from a big city, I must admit that Hanover, NH is one of the safest places I've ever been in my whole entire life. I am a female student and I often walk around campus alone, late at night, without any problems.

Hanover, NH is not a very diverse place racially, class-wise, etc. but Dartmouth's campus is.

Dartmouth College uses the Common Application for college admissions. In addition to the common application, students have to submit a personal information supplement and a peer evaluation. Students can apply for early decision or regular decision admissions. Dartmouth does conduct alumni interviews but they are not a required part of the application process and not all students will have a chance to have one (access to interviews depends on the number of available alumni in the given area).

In terms of financial aid, Dartmouth has a need-blind admissions process for all students. The school does not give out merit or athletic scholarships and financial aid is based solely on need. Dartmouth aims to meet 100% of a student's demonstrated need when making decisions about financial aid.