Cornell College is a true liberal arts experience that prepares its graduates to think critically and write clearly in preparation for graduate or professional school. The intent of a liberal arts experience is not to provide graduates with a specialized job immediately following graduation, but to prepare the future leaders of America. Remember, Obama was educated in the liberal arts!

OCAT is AMAZING! LOVE the class or HATE the class it is done in 18 days.

Mount Vernon is a great small town with plenty of charm.

2006

The classes at Cornell are exceptional, because the One-Course-At-A-Time allows for intensive study on specific courses. Professors are able to teach in their specialties. For example, I took a Virgina Wolf course taught by an expert. Other classes such as John Steinbeck's America and HIV/AIDs Literature were classes for my major. Professors are tough, but they like to be on a first-name basis with students. Students are treated more like colleagues, and professors really consider the discussion and reflect. Feedback on papers is tremendous, although the grading is difficult. I think that I would have received a higher GPA at other schools, but I would rather be middle of the road at Cornell than top notch at a different school. I think that Cornell was more difficult than my graduate school, and I feel that I was well-prepared for graduate studies, especially for writing papers. As far as study abroad...the opportunities are amazing. I minored in Spanish, and I took three of my classes abroad: Mexico, Bolivia, and Spain. There are so many opportunities to learn abroad, and many times the Cornell professors travel with the class and teach abroad with the class. I learned so much from these opportunities. Workload is intensive; 4-5 hours of homework per night. However, the block breaks once a month make up for it.

I loved living on campus, and I still miss it. The food is not good, but it is a fun time to socialize. There are new dorms on campus, I lived in one of them my senior year and really liked it. Students are required to live on campus, which was fine with me. The campus is very safe, and students are respectful of one another. It is a wet campus; 21+ students are allowed to have alcohol in the dorms. The library is nice and has plenty of space on the quiet floor. Mount Vernon is a small town, but is close to two medium sized cities; so everything that a student needs is within a half an hour of the campus.

The application process is similar to most colleges/universities. I was given three essay topics from which to choose, and I wrote my essay about which cartoon character is closest to my personality and why. Financial Aid was very helpful; I received about half of my tuition from the college and the other half from a private endowment. I didn't find out that I would attend on a full-ride until about April of my senior year of high school. Overall, the application process is straight-forward, nothing out of the ordinary, and the timeliness of response is acceptable.

2006

One-Course-At-A-Time! Academic block programming... one class for 18 days, then 5 days off... 9 times a year!

2004 or earlier

Cornell College provides small class sizes which allows for intimate discussions as opposed to strictly lecture-based classes that can be overly formal. The academic advisers are more like mentors as they help you with much more than selecting your classes. I was incredibly impressed with my professor's ability to establish a strong research lab for the department of Kinesiology. My experiences in that lab lead me to pursue a Master's degree in the field.

Quality of life is relatively high at Cornell. Housing is clean and well-maintained. The neighborhood community is close-knit with the campus community and crime is not really an issue. Overall happiness is high at Cornell. The vast majority of students are involved in at least 1 or 2 groups on campus and stay active within those groups.

I don't remember details of my admissions process as it was 7 years ago. However, I felt that Cornell offered good financial aid packages and scholarships.

2007

Academics at Cornell College were very challenging. Since we worked on a "one course at a time" model, it was more possible to focus your energies on one, in-depth, rigorous class. I was never in a class of more than 24 students, and it was easy to develop a relationship with each professor. I worked just as hard to do right by my professors as I did to make the grade because they were that impressive. I worked as a research assistant in the psychology department, and I never found a class underwhelming.

I loved living in Mount Vernon and on Cornell's campus. I lived in student housing all 4 years because I liked being close to other students, and it wasn't uncommon to do so. The library was a fantastic place to study, and Cornell has a great relationship with the rest of Mount Vernon. I felt safe within the community, and I would do it all over again today.

I had to fill out a paper application (I think they offer an online option now), and there was an essay section included. I chose to write about a childhood toy that described me as a person. It was definitely the most unique aspect of applying that any college required. I also met with a couple members of the admissions team, and my financial aid/scholarship to Cornell was very generous.

2007

Cornell is on a "one course at a time" calendar (one class for 18 days---intense focus and in-depth concentration). It was a life changing experience in which the way that I learned to work/function/produce was just as foundational as the material itself. Highly trained and working professors who are engaged in the lives of their students...they were always, at most, just a phone call away, even at 11pm on a Sunday night. First year students can jump right into degree specific classes instead of being wore out by all of the requirements up front. GREAT opportunities and support of internships where students can actually take a whole block and work full time @ the intership to really engross oneself(I completed two in my time at Cornell). Many opportunities for academic honor societies, student symposiums, and interaction/relationships with notable alumni.

Essay questions and freuquent phone conversations with admissions representatives and current students. There is/was the option of early action/early decision and I found this beneficial. GREAT support for financial aid representatives on campus and also the potential for fruitful scholarships via the college.

2004 or earlier

Cornell's unique academics are what really set the school apart. The college operates on a "block plan" with 9 classes a year, each of which lasts for 3 and a half weeks. This means that I never had a class larger than 30 students, I actually knew all of my professors personally, science labs were never cut short and often took place outdoors, field trips--and even off-campus courses--were common, and classes were structured around discussions and projects rather than lectures and multiple choice exams.

There are also great undergraduate research opportunities; some of my best memories are from working with faculty on independent projects.

The professors are all incredibly committed to teaching and make a point of being available for students; I rarely had a class in which I did not interact with the professor outside of class.

Cornell is a residential college, so student life very much revolves around campus. They have recently built two new dorms and renovated others, so there are a lot of great (and diverse) housing opportunities. Safety is not an issue; I actually rarely locked my door and never had a problem. The town Cornell is in is also very small, and there is a close relationship with the school and the town, which gives a great community feel. Everything you need is within easy walking distance, and bigger cities are within a feasible drive, so the location is ideal.

The application process was straightforward, with the Common App.

2007

Classes cap at 25 students, which is lovely.

I loved Cornell. It was great that we all had the same schedule for the most part and got to go to meals at the same time and socialize in the dorms and on campus a lot.

2007

The academic climate of Cornell is based around the students. Students are given the responsibility to take an active role in their education. Class sizes are always compact which allows for involvement from each student and wonderful relationships with professors. Courses are challenging and can be easily connected on an interdisciplinary basis. Students are given the ability to become active members in the classroom through presentations, group work and discussions. It is not an atmosphere where students are ever talked at, they are talked to and educated not only in the topic of the course but in how to become a better learner. Study abroad works well with the One Course At A Time format. Study abroad options exist on a monthly basis with classes created by the college as well as independent trips on a monthly or semester long basis. Research opportunities are often offered by staff or professors to students highly dedicated to their area of interest. These may be done for course credit throughout the year or over the summer. The Berry Center and Fellows programs also offer a wide variety of internship and research opportunities.

The cost of living is much lower than where I am from my home. Housing varies however I have had very good experience with the buildings I have lived in as well as the Residence Life programs associated with my living situation. The library is wonderful along with the staff that are always willing to helps students, even those outside their designated disciplines. The community of Mt. Vernon has a strong connection to Cornell and is very welcoming to students. Many Cornell students engage in some activity that is based with the Mt. Vernon community. Overall the campus is a very positive, friendly and welcoming campus in which to live.

The application process for Cornell is fairly standard- the largest differences are in the additional programs and scholarships for which you can apply. There are scholarships within different departments such as music and art which require auditions or submission of work.