All class sizes are under 25 students. All classes are in the OCAAT (One Course At A Time) format. Students take one course every 3 1/2 weeks. In that timespan you attend that one course every day anywhere between 4 and 7 hours. There is a mid term and a final. After the 3 1/2 weeks the course is over and you attend a new course. There are 8 classes in an academic year. General requirements are fairly standard. The OCAAT system does allow a lot of opportunities for study abroad, research periods, and time off. Grading is moderate to easy for those who 100% of the time attend class. Faculty are more approachable than most universities due to the small class size. Workload can be intense for more difficult courses due to the short timespan of OCAAT, but very light for general courses.

Tuition, room and board is fairly expensive for a liberal arts college. Housing is typical for most colleges and there are ample campus facilities, though due to the small size of the college and the small town in which it presides, most places clase relatively early. The surrounding community is typical of small town Iowa. Major commercial chains are a 20 minute drive to Cedar Rapids, and there is no large city nearby. Crime and safety are better than most colleges.

The admission was a simple two page paper, common application. I was given the opportunity for early decision as well. There are scholarship opportunities however, some of the restrictions for maintaining scholarships year to year are extremely difficult to achieve unless one takes all generals in their freshman year.

2009

The academics at Cornell is the schools strongest asset. The degree programs do need to be revised but are workable.

The dorms are in poor condition and many are in need of major repair. The cost of living is acceptable. The campus is not accessible to those with disabilities in my opinion. many dorms are in areas that are hard to get to in wheelchairs. The conditions of the walk ways in winter is dangerous for normal students let alone those with disabilities.

The process was average and followed the same pattern as any other school.

Cornell operates on the block plan--students take one class for 4 hours a day for 3.5 weeks. Classes are very small, with no more than 30 students per class. Professors are very available and willing to help. Many students, even first years, are asked to stay on campus to help faculty with research, something that's not always an option at larger universities.

Cornell is a tightly-knit community. I have found it to be the perfect fit for me.

It's a liberal arts school so there are a lot of language requirements. Academic advising is pretty good, my advisor has been very helpful. The class sizes are really nice, they are small so you get to know you fellow students and professors for the most part. Study abroad opportunities are available but very expensive, and I don't really think they are worth the cost, and they are also not offered in my major. Work load is heavy, but reasonable.

The housing is not great. The rooms have no temperature control so they are always too hot, and things are often falling apart. The library is nice, but closes at midnight, which is pretty pathetic for a college library since college students keep late hours. The dining is not great. They do not offer a lot of options for people who have food allergies or special dietary needs. They also do not really help atheletes who often miss the regular meal times due to practice. The neighborhood is very nice. It is a little small, but it is safe and college friendly. The campus is safe as well. Overall happiness is ok, but I hate leaving in the dorms where things are often broken, like showers, and radiators.

I don't remember anything unique about it.

General requirements (for freshman year) include doing a writing class, taking languages (up until the 205 level). Students must also take a lab class. Certain majors do require to do internships (example: the students interested in teaching go off campus to do student-teaching). Here on campus, every student is matched up with a professor from their particular major. The advisors on campus do a very great job with helping students choose classes. Since classes run about three and a half weeks, some classes have a heavy workload, but in the end, it all pays off!

The school has admissions counselors selected for particular areas of the nation (as well as international) and scout in those areas. Cornell College enjoys selecting students outside of Iowa. The school does take the Common Application (and it's free if you do it through that). I felt as it was easier to apply early action because I could still leave my options open instead of committing to a college 100%. The school does a great job with offering financial aid (for example, for next year, tuition is in the 38,000 range. My award is around the 36,500 range.).

One Course At A Time. small class sizes. Professors also only teach the one class during a block, so very accessible and very willing to extend extra time when needed. move through course material very quickly. Start new class in just three and a half weeks. Nice 4-5 day breaks in between classes.

almost everyone lives on campus. everyone very friendly.

free online application. you can use Common Application. there are no required test scores, each person is seen as an individual and assessed accordingly. great financial aid help. automatically applied for financial aid and scholarships when you apply for admission, makes it a lot easier.

-Our schedule is different because we only take one class at a time. One class at a time for 3 1/2 weeks (called blocks), then a four and a half day break (called block break) typically completely without assignments of any kind. There are nine blocks in a year but students may elect to take one block off a year. Our schedule really lends itself to studying abroad and doing internships. There are classes that go abroad or study off campus for the whole or part of a block. For example, I spent the first two weeks of class this year studying environmental ethics in the Boundary Waters, I had a couple friends travel to the Bahamas for three weeks in January to study marine science, and a friend traveled to Japan in February for 3 1/2 weeks to study sociological perspectives (all of these trips were led by Cornell staff and involved other students from my school). I also had a friend who took a block off and did an internship doing research at a bigger university (and still got credit).

-General requirements for all BA candidates: 4 humanities classes, 2 social sciences, 2 sciences (at least one must be a laboratory science), 1 fine art, 1 math, and 1 writing course

-Almost every class in worth 1 credit.

-Most classes are capped around 20-25, which is really nice. I like it better when my classes are really small. I think about 18 or less is ideal because we really get to know the professor, and he/she us. However, we still get to know the professors in the 25-student classes. Generally, professors go by the first names, give out their home numbers, and really try to be available to students, which is a huge plus. Almost all academic advisors are professors (a couple are librarians), and are willing to meet and talk with students. I have had lunch with an advisor last year and went to a Mardi Gras party at a professor's house this year. What I'm trying to say is that professors usually are very approachable and accessible and really just great. I have really, really loved many of my professors and I know I am not alone in saying that.

-One problem is that I often feel that classes are too easy and that it is too easy to get an A. I like really working for a good grade and really feeling challenged, and sometimes I think I can get away with not working hard. But that definitely depends on the class and the professor. This isn't true of all classes and there are some professors who are real hard-asses (which is a good thing), but there have been several classes that I wished I had gotten more out of. (But that may, at times, be more of my own fault. Like I said, the faculty is really pretty great.)

-Workload varies incredibly depending on the block. One month you could have almost no homework, and the next month you may find yourself pulling all-nighters once a week and staying up until 2am in the library every other night. It really just depends. We have a final or some kind of final every month, but it's really not that bad at all. It's pretty nice to not have them all at once! This is one reason why the block plan is awesome because you get a break after every class that I think really helps to alleviate stress. (Our breaks also usually align with major break such as spring break so when we go home, we don't have to worry about doing any homework becasue we are in between classes.)

Housing is good for the most part. A few dorms could use renovation, but many are great. You must live on camps for at least three years, which really helps build a community. It's also nice that we only have one cafeteria because I think it really helps bring us together. Many people complain about our food, but I don't think it's that bad. It's much better than it was my freshman year and it keeps getting better, but they still don't always have great vegan options. I feel very safe on campus and in the community at all times. I never think twice about walking home alone from the library at 2am. I can leave all my stuff in the library and run out for an hour and it will all still be there. It feels really, really safe. I think there are a few building that could use renovation besides a few dorms, but there are also some really nice new buildings and some really old buildings that are really cool! it's fun to have class in really old buildings or live in the oldest dorm on campus!

Common application with a relatively short supplement (I do not remember the questions), I participated in early action, and my school gives fantastic financial aid. I was awarded a scholarship upon receiving my acceptance letter. My school offers a really great and highly-utilized overnight program for prospective students.

The academics that Cornell provides are very intense but very worth while. The classes provide students with many opportunities that students going to other schools would not be able to experience due to the scheduling. Cornell students only have one course at a time (OCAAT) in which classes are run for the duration of 3.5 weeks. Over these weeks students have opportunites to travel with their class unlike your typical university where students have multiple classes to juggle. For the Biology major with hopes of going to dental school I have to mainly focus my scheudle in the sciences with some mathematics mixed into the schedule. Another thing that I hope to fit into my schedule is an internship at a dentists office.

The housing could use a lot of renovations. There always seems to be something broken on all the floors in all of the buildings whether its a window or a faucet. The dining food at Cornell may at first seem like its spectactular but that quickly fades and the food becomes bland and on some days undesirable. The library is spectactular with four floors and librarians on hand at all times to help with any questions that one may have.

I chose to apply early action because the earlier one applies to a school the greater the chances are that the applicant will be accepted. This was made easier because Cornell College accepts the common application.

Because Cornell is a liberal arts college, there are quite a few general requirements, which allows students to explore subjects they may not have taken. In general, majors require anywhere from 9 to 13 courses, with a certain number of upper-level courses required. Academic advisors do not advise many students, so it is easy to get time with them and they know who you are. Classes are capped at 25 students, so every professor you have knows who you are. The block schedule does condense classes quite a bit, so it is important to keep up on reading and assignments, otherwise you will fall behind. Study abroad is most commonly done for only a block, other than that Cornell does not have programs. It is possible to go with other schools or programs, and there are certain ones which are approved by Cornell and therefore credits transfer more easily. Not many students choose to study abroad in this way, however.

Housing is pretty typical of most colleges, although there are two nicer suite-style dorms available for upperclassmen. Overall the campus is quite pretty, there is very little crime, and the college and community get along well. Dining is not great, although it is improving.

Common Application, good scholarship and financial aid offered, early decision and regular decision, interviews available

Application, essay, interview, good financial aid and scholarship opportunities.