“Good Academics”
September 2018FORMER STUDENT

Good academics program consist of nurturing professors and competitive research environment

Lack of diversity, immediate career prospects beyond research or grad school

Comments

Connecticut College has one of the most beautiful campuses I have ever seen.

7 Distributional Areas that need to be filled, Language requirement, Writing requirement, Many study abroad opportunities

Great campus and overall community feel, Tight-knit community due to small size, Most students are happy with their living situation at school

Common App with a short supplement essay, ED I and II and Regular Decision

Distribution Requirements (7 areas), declare your major by the end of your sophomore year. you are given a faculty advisor from freshman year until you declare your major and get a major advisor. You can always do research with a professor if they are doing it. There are many opportunities at conn to get your hands dirty, and do what you set your mind to.

housing is guaranteed all 4 years, i would change very little about the quality of life at conn, outside of the area

Connecticut College has its own supplement to the common application, and while we do not make interviews mandatory they are extremely helpful. Conn has both ED and regular decision - I chose regular because I can't make a decision for my life; conn is also need blind so they make it work for you

seven areas of general educations requirements, foreign language requirement, writing across the curriculum, small classes (avg 19), 55% study abroad,

very good

completely test optional , essays, interviews and visits strongly recommended, common application, early decision (no early action) and early decision II, and regular

7 Areas of study, but no core courses for the entire school. We can design our own majors, and most classes are interdisciplinary which reflects the interconnected nature not just of our school and society but of the world: no ideas or departments exist completely on their own. Average class size is 16 students, but Freshman Year Seminars are no larger than 15 students and your professor is your advisor: it allows for a smooth transition from high school to college and you begin your college career with adequate guidance. My advisor changed three times, but as of second semester of Freshman year I was all set and she has helped me shape my entire college career! I am graduating with many more credits than I need, even though I am a double major. It feels fantastic. Professors have been exceptionally friendly and accessible in 99.9% of cases, and I made an effort to get to know all of them outside of the classroom (it wasn't hard, but some students choose not to stay after class or meet them in their office hours, that's just not me). I have loved how Conn is not as competitive as high school: I have never been asked by, or felt compelled to tell another classmate my grades which was amazing. I did not study abroad, though over 50% of students do, and don't feel like I missed out but I know people who go abroad feel great about their experience. The workload has always been manageable, although Midterms and Finals are always rough! I think the Sciences are the most difficult in terms of grading, but the papers I have had to write as a Film major and the effort I had to put in when taking Chinese were notable, but I could always handle it.

I have lived in "the Plex," the newer housing on campus, for 3 years and have LOVED it. Our Housefellow and Floor Governor system works wonderfully. I am very happy here- minimal crime, great community of involved students, and our Honor Code means that we are treated as adults.

Interviews are highly respected, as is applying Early Decision: I did both, interviewing on a random day after I toured and applying ED round 1. I only submitted my SAT II scores for admission, and now Conn College is SAT optional, which allows the student to shine through, not just their standardized test scores.

7 general area requirements very broad

Housing is great, food is medicore, students are very happy and friendly

Common app, can have interviews but not required, extensive supplemental essays

general requirement easy to fulfill, professors easy to meet with, workload average to difficult, class sizes small and interactive, many research opportunities

everyone is very welcoming and kind, safe campus, overall high level of happiness, great dining, great services in library, great relations with New London

unique essay questions in supplement, interviews important, financial aid given

8 gen ed requirements plus your major

good

common application and interview--have early decision options

7 core areas of requirement, language requirement, average class size of 19, 55% goes abroad.

high cost of living, decent housing, good facilities, average dining, good safety

Unique application questions, essays, early decision and regular decision and common ap.

We have 7 general education requirement areas, and there are many different classes that satisfy each area. We have a lot of majors and if you're looking for something that we don't offer, you can self-design a major of your choice. Classes are small, we have a 9:1 student to professor ratio, and no TAs teach classes. Professors are always available when students need them and are very willing to help. The school is competitive and the academics are great, but students don't get competitive with each other. It's not the cut-throat environment where everyone compares themselves to everyone else, students just push themselves individually and strive for their best.

98% of students live on campus for all four years, which makes Conn a very campus oriented school. We are not the type of school where everyone leaves on the weekends, and we have a very active social life. I have never felt unsafe on campus, or in New London, and if I ever did, I know that we have a great system and fantastic Campus Safety that would be there to help. There is always something happening on campus, whether it's a lecture, a performance, a dance, or a special dinner or discussion. I am never bored, and instead usually find myself wishing that there weren't four things I wanted to attend all scheduled for the same time. I love being a student here!

I looked at a lot of different schools, knew the basic criteria I wanted, but other than that had no idea where I wanted to go. I narrowed down my search, and eventually chose based on location. I applied early decision, and am so glad that I did. I did not interview at any schools. My admissions process was crazy and I'm glad it's over, but I ended up at a great school, so that's what matters.