“Colgate”
January 2018CURRENT STUDENT

Fun school with good people. Professors are very smart and helpful.

Economics majors get very little practical knowledge. Town is very small.

Comments

If you can handle cold weather and are social this is a good school.

First-Year Seminar: Choose from a wide range of topics for a class that acts as your academic and social introduction to college. "CORE requirements": Four classes (CORE cultures, CORE science/math, "Challenge of Modernity," and "Western Traditions") that were not rigidly belonging to any one area of study, but incorporated different approaches to studying the topics. Distribution requirements: Two classes in each of the three major academic areas (Humanities, Math/Science, Social Sciences). Major degree requirements: Declare major by the end of sophomore year, fulfill certain required classes and choose from department's advanced courses, conduct and present a final project or thesis. Academic advising: First-Year Seminar professor is automatically your adviser until you declare a major, then you choose an adviser in the department of your major or stay with the one you have if he or she is already in that department. Accessibility of professors and research opportunities: The professors are very accessible as they have office hours, but it is up to the student to reach out to establish a greater rapport and explore research opportunities. Competitiveness: Fairly competitive, depending on majors, classes, professors. Grading: Rigorous, rarely are there "easy A's." Notable faculty: Some, but not as well known to the students. Study abroad opportunities: Competitive, but high quality. Workload: Medium-high.

Housing: Very good, guaranteed all 4 years with the option to apply to live off-campus senior year. Cost of living: Relatively high for a small town. Campus: Beautiful, well-maintained. Facilities: Updated fairly regularly. Library: Was being renovated when I was a Junior and Senior, so the interim solution was sub-par. Dining: Mediocre. Neighborhood: OK. Community relations: Surprisingly good. Crime and Safety: Extremely safe. Overall happiness: Good.

Colgate accepted the Common Application and requested one additional short essay. The addition essay question for my admission year was, "What are three words that describe you and why?" Interviews were optional and always non-evaluative (i.e. did not play a role in the admission decision process). Applicants had the option of applying early decision I (Fall), early decision II (same timing as regular decision), and regular decision. I applied early decision I. Financial aid was available, but I did not qualify for it. Student-athlete scholarships were not available at the time, but became available to new applicants while I was an upperclassman.

2006

32 credits; each class is a credit; distribution requirement across humanities, social sciences & natural sciences - 2 from each; core curriculum requirement for all grads; faculty is very accessible; for our size, lots of Colgate run study abroad opportunities, lots of hands-on research opportunities with faculty as an undergrad

traditional small college town environment; true residential college; cutting edge library facility; pretty good town & gown relations

common app; unique essay; ED I and ED II in addition to regular decision; financial aid but not need-blind

2005 or earlier

There is a distribution requirement, where students have to take two classes in departments that fall into the categories of the social sciences, natural sciences, and humanities. There is also a CORE requirement. There are four basic classes that a person has to take: Challenge of Modernity and Legacies of the Ancient World, which has pretty much the same reading lists for each teacher, and "menu" courses called Scientific Perspectives and Communities and Identities, where you can choose a class within that category. There is also a fifth requirement, but few people even recognize that it is there because the last one is so easy to fullfill - you just have to take a class that has some sort of global perspective. The majority of students fulfill this requirement in a number of their classes, so it is often not recognized by students as a requirement.

Quality of life at Colgate is great. Tuition is pretty expensive, as are most liberal arts schools, but Colgate meets 100% of demonstrated need. I loved the dorm that I lived in last year and this year. My room this year is actually really big. All facilities are state of the art - we have a brand new gym that was finished in January, and our science center and library were both built in 2008 and 2007 respectively. I spend a lot of time in our library - it is a great place to study. The food is pretty good - it's not mom's cooking, and can sometimes get repetitive, but they definitely make an effort to change things up. I have never ever felt unsafe at Colgate - I can walk home by myself at 3AM from the library and not feel nervous or worried. We have a great relationship with the community - a lot of people volunteer locally, and I have gotten to know a lot of locals on a personal level through my volunteer work. I am definitely happy here. I can't imagine going to school anywhere else. The relationships with faculty are amazing, but there is some tension between students and the administration/campus safety. The administration and campus safety have been putting more restrictions on social life that they feel fosters underage drinking. Although the social life is certainly vibrant and we definitely still manage to have a good time, the administrations' greater restrictions on the fraternities (which host a lot of the parties) can sometimes be restrictive, although most students then just move to off-campus houses and apartments. It definitely does not stop the fun, but just can be a bit of an annoyance.

Colgate has early decision I and II, as well as regular decision. The Common App is accepted, and there is one supplemental question. My year the question was "What is the best piece of advice you have ever received and why?", but the question changes every year. Last year the supplement asked prospective students to tell the admission office about some sort of tradition that they hold and why it is important to them. They offer informational interviews that are nonevaluative.

There is a core curriculum at Colgate, which include 5 courses including a cultures course and a course that examine the Bible, among others. A certain number of courses from within each discipline (i.e., social sciences, humanities, etc.) is also required. There are multiple research opportunities available with faculty for interested students, and also opportunities to TA courses and labs.You may study abroad with a Colgate program or a program through another institution if the curriculum is approved. The school is extremely competitive upon application, but there is also a fair amount of competition among students once you have been admitted and are in classes. Your are advised by someone in your field of study, and end up having a very close working relationship with your advisor since class sizes are so small. Colgate's student to faculty ratio is excellent, and the majority of my courses had no more than 10 or 12 students in them (aside from intro courses and general requirements). Each degree requires a different number of credits. The faculty at Colgate are some of the best in the country and world, including scholars who have been both nationally and internationally recognized for their work. The faculty are extremely accessible to students.

Housing is guaranteed for all four years, and I had an excellent experience in the dorms and apartments. The cost of living is fairly high only because the cost of attending Colgate is so high, but because Hamilton is a small town, I didn't spend much outside of school costs. The facilities are state of the art, especially the new library (which is amazing) and the new science building with brand new labs. The town of Hamilton is beautiful and the citizens are very welcoming. I always felt safe at Colgate, and was extremely happy there.

When I applied, Colgate did not use the Common Application. I'm not sure if they do now. Interviews are strictly informational and have no bearing on admission. Early Admission I and II are options, and are binding. Financial aid applications were submitted at the time of application and awarded on a need-based basis.

2007

specific requirements by credits for major/minor; core requirements/ interdisciplinary distribution requirements all 4 years; predominantly small classes; some availability of research opportunities specifically in the sciences; some study abroad opportunities; no easy grading

quality of life was good, little crime, very safe; excellent town and school cooperation; dining mediocre; student community great

early decision, interview, unique application and essays

2005 or earlier

Everything in this aspect is top notch- I have rarely seen finer examples of academics all at the same institution. My one wish is that they would be more strict on academic honor code enforcement but this is a criticism I hold of all US institutions of higher learning.

I most likely never live this well again.

I did early decision & was admitted during a year in which Colgate experimented with admitting need-blind. It was the only year they did this and our class had a very different 'flavor' than those above and below us. I used the Common application & left school with <$20k in interest free federal loans, even with 3+ study-abroad type programs.

I heard that they do sports scholarships now which I believe are excluding qualified academic students... I have been very surprised about the types of students I have seen accepted and rejected recently.

In terms of financial aid Colgate will meet all need... once admitted. I think this is perhaps why they no longer admit need-blind.

2006

Great core program

great enviorment. have close friends 50 years later from Colgate.

Regular process

2005 or earlier

Class sizes (apart from 2-3 required classes) are about 20 to 1 student teacher ratio or less. Freshman seminar introduces students in a very small group setting to a preliminary advisor. Only full professors teach classes, not TA's.

Small town life, very easy going.

Early Decision (two options) available. Summer programs for students in their Junior year of HS who want to attend.

2005 or earlier

The application is just like any other, it consists of two essays. It contains all sections listed above.