“Colgate”
January 2018CURRENT STUDENT

Fun school with good people. Professors are very smart and helpful.

Economics majors get very little practical knowledge. Town is very small.

Comments

If you can handle cold weather and are social this is a good school.

There are 2 years of CORE classes specializing in the liberal arts foundation and then two years of minor/major requirements. Class sizes were small 18-25; ample research opportunities exist. Professors are readily available and top notch.

Hamilton is very affordable and there is a wonderful town/gown relationship. The town is entirely self contained and there is literally no need to leave town/compus. There is little, if any, crime and everyone seems very content and happy.

Currently there is a common application process with unique essays; letters of recommendation. There is also ED1, ED2 and regular addmissions. The school prides itself on making a 4 year private education affordable and has robust work/study and financial aid opportunities. There are also limited merit scholarships available.

2005 or earlier

2 required core classes, taught by a variety of faculty members in many different departments. 2 other core classes required, each has many options to choose from. additional distribution requirement, 2 courses each from natural sciences, social sciences, and the humanities. Each major requires ~9 courses. Faculty easily accesible for advising, able to see your advisor or other faculty members as well. With essentially no graduate students, undergrads have plenty of research opportunities, some departments require a research project senior year. Grading is very fair but no grade inflation exists.

The rural setting makes Colgate and the village of hamilton become a great community. Great facilities, the university has a firm committment to renovations and upgrades (newly rebuilt library, fitness center, campus center as examples). Low crime, very safe campus.

Unique application questions, including essays. No interview required. Early decision option available (binding). Excellent financial aid.

2005 or earlier

4 CORE classes, 8 distributional requirements, 11 requirements for my major, 12 requirements for pre-med, 6 requirements for possible minor. Classes are small, especially discussion based ones. Research is very available and teachers are always accessible. The grading is difficult, but the students aren't openly competitive. There are many Colgate study abroad options. There is a lot of work, but not so much that you can't participate in activities.

Students are very happy! The housing is very comfortable and well kept. With an unlimited meal plan as a freshman, living isn't very costly. Plus we get free things all of the time! The campus is gorgeous and the facilities are well kept up and they are often renovating or building. The library is an extremely nice study space with great lighting. I enjoy the food as the cooks try to make things interesting, but still keep the oldies but goodies around. We have a great community as we are a large part of the town of Hamilton and I've always felt safe.

Commonapp and supplement. Regulary Decision.

small liberal arts college, small student facult ration, easy access to professors and advisors, studied abroad in France, tough but fair grading

olf fashioned frshman dorms, decent fraternity housing, excellent library for the time, very safe rural campus, small town setting, great facilities

traditional application (pre-common application) with essays

2005 or earlier

Core Curriculum: 4 core classes Western Traditions, Challenge of Modernity etc.

Distribution Requirements: 2 of each--social science, science/math, humanities

Summer Research

Famous faculty--Aveni

Alot of work but Colgate has a work hard play hard mentality -- brilliant student body who can work hard but also has a well rounded lifestyle and has time for extracurriculars and social life.

Professors are very accessable. All classes taught by professors (No TAs). Class sizes are quite small allowing for an amazing and unified learning experience. As an English major, History minor class size averaged on around 12 students, I'd say.

AMAZING STUDY ABROAD PROGRAM! Over half the student body studies abroad, usually in their junior year. I went abroad to London with the English program the Spring of my Junior year. Best experience in my life.

Housing is great until senior year. Senior year you can live off campus which I believe hinders the Colgate experience. Caused breakups in friendsships because you have to sign leases your sophmore year for senior year off campus housing and friendships definitely change and evolve between sophmore and senior year. Most people live on campus though which is great.

Although I was a member of a sorority -- Kappa Kappa Gamma, I am against Greek Life. Greek life brings out cattiness and "social class" hierarchy among sororities and sexism among fraternities. Personally, my sorority, considered "the coolest on campus" and the hardest to get into had "dirty rushing" where a slide show was shown of girls they wanted before rush even started--slideshow listed what connecticut or new jersey prep school the girl went to, if they were on Sigma's "DNites" team before they went to Colgate" and sometimes even their parents profession. Had I known this, I never would have joined Greek life--I'm appauled at the "country club" mentality of it all.

There was very little crime as Colgate's campus is in the middle of nowhere. However, because of Greek Life, sexual assults were more common than one would think but sadly often went unreported to the police because when female students told Colgate, Colgate rarely addressed the issue.

Despite these complaints, I loved Colgate and personally had an overall great experience. Volunteer oportunities outiside Colgate--volunteer firefighting, helping people with their taxes, working on community farms and gardens unfied the campus with the surrounding community. Colgate is in the middle of no where and is pretty much the entire town of Hamilton.

Very safe neighborhood overall.

Library could use some work -- because we are in the middle of no where, we dont have access to many primary sources for reasearch papers. For my thesis, I had to travel to another city 3 weekends in a row in order to do proper research because Colgate did not have the tools.

Dining -- the food is okay. Colgate needs more dining halls. You wait in line FOREVER. Frank is definitely the best dining hall. Colgate made a dumb move of converting "The Edge" into a restaurant rather than a normal dining hall which left only the Frank and Coop as dining options, causing insanely long lines and never available seating. Colgate needs to work on more healthy options, especially in the Coop where the options are mostly fried food.

Common App plus additional essay. My essay was -- if you could only bring one thing to Colgate, what would it be and why? They do offer interviews although I did not do one. I applied early decision. I did not apply for any financial aid or scholarships.

Housing is guaranteed for all 4 years. Any and all facilities are in excellent condition. The library was built recently and is absolutely stunning, providing ample study space. Hamilton, NY is a very safe town, with the only "crimes" often being student violations. Overall, people are extremely happy!

I transferred to Colgate, so my perspective is rather different. Colgate takes the Common App and does include a supplemental question. Interviews are optional. Colgate will meet 100% of need-based aid, and the average scholarship package is around $40,000 per year. Many students choose to enroll early decision/action, but many do regular decision as well.

Common.

2005 or earlier

Various intensive study abroad programs available, core requirements

Essays, optional interviews, April Visit days, college fair representation, financial aid opportunities, early decision and regular dsecision.

2005 or earlier

The core classes are VERY valuable. I learned a ton in them and found them to be really customizable and interesting - you can pick a professor based on the discipline in which you want to take the core course.

Professors at Colgate are incredible. Because the town is so small, they're really accessible. Going to your professors' houses for dinner is common and a great part of extended-campus life.

Colgate's campus is BEAUTIFUL. It is the epitome of a college campus and the "look" that I always dreamed of when thinking of college. Also, the students are happy. It's as simple as that - everyone wants to be there and embraces the Colgate experience.

There is an additional essay that supplements the Common App essay. It's usually more challenging, but appears to give admissions a sense of who the student is as a person and how they think.

2008