“Colgate”
January 2018CURRENT STUDENT

Fun school with good people. Professors are very smart and helpful.

Economics majors get very little practical knowledge. Town is very small.

Comments

If you can handle cold weather and are social this is a good school.

The academics are excellent. Colgate provides a core curriculum starting in the first year. Four courses, ancient world legacies, challenges of modernity, global wide scientific perspectives and communities and identities, are required as is a fifth in global engagements and another six from various areas of inquiry such as human thought, social relations and natural sciences. Students must complete 32 courses to graduate (minimum grade point average of 2.0). Despite the fact that Colgate offers 51 majors and 13 minors, class size is small (avg.19) and faculty are very accessible. It's commonplace to meet with professors on campus and off. The village is small and as a result of town size and school size, the student/faculty relationship extends beyond the campus. The school is competitive academically. There have been and continue to be several notable faculty. Colgate classes are taught by professors. No classes are taught by teaching assistants. 96% of Colgate's faculty have a PhD or other "ultimate" degree. Colgate offers 23 off campus study programs.

I thought it was tremendous. Would I return to Colgate if I could - in a heartbeat. I graduated in 1973 and certainly, things have changed. I think community relations (town/gown) are very good - better than when I attended. I think campus housing is much improved especially with the initiatives of self-governance and themed housing. Crime is low and campus safety is very good. Colgate has a new, state of the art science center. The library was expanded recently. School based facilities are excellent. While the school is expensive, the general upstate New York area is not . Present students/recent graduates seem genuinely happy and pleased with their choice of university.

I think the process itself is fairly standard. Colgate uses the common application. It encourages campus visits and offers an excellent website with several "live" webcams. It features various events such as "Saturdays@Colgate". One difference may be the absence of an evaluative interview. It has early decision. It provides financial aid, grants and fellowships and in certain sports, athletic scholarships. Colgate looks to and emphasizes the applicant's complete academic record including grades, standardized test scores and references. I think many of these are standard at most universiities.

2005 or earlier

Core Classes, general requirements, degree requirements -- true liberal arts approach with excellent accessible professors

Residential school -- great dorm and frat/sorority experience

Common Application

2005 or earlier

Various intensive study abroad programs available, core requirements

Essays, optional interviews, April Visit days, college fair representation, financial aid opportunities, early decision and regular dsecision.

2005 or earlier

there are core classes to make sure you get a well-rounded liberal arts education, students are encouraged to spend a semester abroad - programs to England are probably the most popular, workload is heavy, professors are very friendly and have scheduled office hours for help

Almost all students live in some type of on-campus housing, the library is recently renovated with a coffee shop and lots of study space, the neighborhood is rural so it feels like life at Colgate centers on the school

essay questions, optional informational interview, early decision I and II available,uses the common application,awards financial aid to those with demonstrated need, some students selected for leadership program but no application for that

Core, small classes.

Low crime, overall high quality of residence halls.

Common application with supplement. No interviews are required.

2005 or earlier

4 CORE classes, 8 distributional requirements, 11 requirements for my major, 12 requirements for pre-med, 6 requirements for possible minor. Classes are small, especially discussion based ones. Research is very available and teachers are always accessible. The grading is difficult, but the students aren't openly competitive. There are many Colgate study abroad options. There is a lot of work, but not so much that you can't participate in activities.

Students are very happy! The housing is very comfortable and well kept. With an unlimited meal plan as a freshman, living isn't very costly. Plus we get free things all of the time! The campus is gorgeous and the facilities are well kept up and they are often renovating or building. The library is an extremely nice study space with great lighting. I enjoy the food as the cooks try to make things interesting, but still keep the oldies but goodies around. We have a great community as we are a large part of the town of Hamilton and I've always felt safe.

Commonapp and supplement. Regulary Decision.

Academics are exceptional at Colgate, the university follows a core curriculum that is based on mastering the liberal arts in the educational experience. Incoming students receive an advisor, who also teaches one of their first semester classes. The advisor will stay with the student until they chose their major and are allowed to chose a new one. This makes the advising more personal, as students can connect with their advisor. The professor are very accessible as well, with all of them having office hours, and the absence of teachers assistants in any department on campus.

Colgate has an amazing quality of life in that everything is centralized in the quaint town of Hamilton, NY. The small town has little to no crime, and the residents are very friendly. The best part about the town is that everything is within walking distance form campus.

The admission process for Colgate is very selective as it entails test scores, essays, and high school academic accomplishment. We have a very low acceptance rate and a high early decision rate, due to our prestige and success. Colgate uses the common application and gives financial aid as well as scholarships after the application process is through.

2 required core classes, taught by a variety of faculty members in many different departments. 2 other core classes required, each has many options to choose from. additional distribution requirement, 2 courses each from natural sciences, social sciences, and the humanities. Each major requires ~9 courses. Faculty easily accesible for advising, able to see your advisor or other faculty members as well. With essentially no graduate students, undergrads have plenty of research opportunities, some departments require a research project senior year. Grading is very fair but no grade inflation exists.

The rural setting makes Colgate and the village of hamilton become a great community. Great facilities, the university has a firm committment to renovations and upgrades (newly rebuilt library, fitness center, campus center as examples). Low crime, very safe campus.

Unique application questions, including essays. No interview required. Early decision option available (binding). Excellent financial aid.

2005 or earlier

General core requirements, major degree requirements, advising, small class sizes, very accessible professors, opportunity to study abroad, heavy workload.

Various housing opportunities, beautifully-maintained campus grounds, new library facilities, safe community environment, reasonable living costs, friendly community relations.

Application process, essay, Common Application, early decision/early action and regular decision, financial aid.