“CMC is a fantastic place to spend 4 years”
April 2018FORMER STUDENT

Wonderful college experience — smart peers, great professors, and a lovely place to become an adult

Slightly less name recognition on east coast than peer schools

Comments

Visit! CMC is all about fit. The 5C community is fantastic, really gives you the social benefits of a slightly larger college with the administrative/logistical benefits of a small school.

The admission office emphasizes fit with the college's emphasis on a pragmatic approach to academics, and leadership in public affairs. Each applicant writes a supplementary leadership essay, in which they advise a leader of their choice - real or fictional.

1/3rd of your classes are general education requirements, classified into different groups. Another 1/3 is major requirements if you're a single major. An academic advisor is assigned to you upon your arrival and they are extremely accessible. Most classes are under 17, but if you are in a big class (i was in one of the two 60-people classes they offer!) the atmosphere is very similar to that of a big class and the professor will ensure that you're not lost. There are plenty of research opportunities on campus, even for freshmen. Although the college is highly selective, the competition is with yourself and no one else. Grading varies based on the class and professor. The faculty is extremely well know in their respective fields, especially the economics, government/IR and lit faculty. Approximately 50-60% of CMC students study abroad at some point of their 4 years.

The housing is the best I've seen, with maid service bimonthly at all dorms. Although Claremont is a relatively expensive neighborhood, cost of living isn't too high as most of your activities are within the college premises. The library is brilliantly equipped for a college of its size and the atmosphere is extremely safe. The college is rated the happiest in the world with reason enough and almost all students are very happy to be there!

Common application and a supplement, with 1 long essay on a leader o your choice and a 'Why CMC' short essay. I applied Regular Decision and met with an admission's officer for an interview.

Common App + essays

Lots of GEs, good academic advising, small classes (less than 19 people), many research opportunities, fantastic faculty, great study abroad opportunities.

outstanding!

Common App + Supplement. Early Decision and Regular Decision. Many financial aid and scholarship opportunities.

My professors have office hours several times a week and many of them live within walking distance of campus. Furthermore, my dorm room is located within 150 yards of all of my professors' offices. It is hard to live amongst a faculty more accessible than what we have here at CMC. My classes are small and as a science major, my labs are even smaller. Because we are a liberal arts college, research opportunities are plentiful without competition from graduate students.

Most schools at the top of the rankings will give you a similar academic experience. CMC is uniquely focused on maintaining a high quality of student life through its residential and social programs. Our dorms are among the best and we have food to match. Furthermore, being part of a consortium means that there are numerous dining halls that we can pick from. These are just some of the many reasons why CMC students are the happiest in the nation.

The admission process at CMC is very straight forward and nothing less than what you would expect from one of the most selective liberal arts colleges in the U.S. Unlike other colleges, CMC puts more emphasis on the activity sheet from high school and previous demonstration of leadership potential. CMC's admission office is also looking for fit. CMC is more concerned with admitting students that will fit into the CMC community than simply admitting the students with the highest SAT/ACT scores. Our admission officers are extremely helpful and outgoing. They do not exhibit the same arrogance and pretentious behavior demonstrated by admission officers at similarly selective institutions.

Lots of GE requirements, but also a lot of choices within those, reasonable amount of major requirements, a lot of faculty advising, class sizes at an average of 16, office hours all over the place, healthy competition (not cut-throat), grading is usually consistent within a department, very notable faculty (Jack Pitney, Jamaica Kincaid), numerous study abroad opportunities (50%+ students study abroad), the Washington DC progam is unique, workload is do-able, but tough!

Great housing (rated one of the top), pricey costs but lots of amenities like housekeeping services, well-maintained facilities, huge library for the Claremont Consortium, dining services are superb, the neighborhood is safe with a nice village area, not a ton of community relations, crimes are scarce and campus safety is top-notch. WE ARE THE HAPPIEST COLLEGE IN THE U.S.!

- Common Application

- Early Decision I and II

- Merit and Need based scholarships

- Interviews (alumni ones, too)

- 3 short essay questions in the supplement

- A few fill in the blank questions

- A Leadership essay

We have general requirements for a breadth of subjects and room to major in many areas; our classes are small and professors have students over to their houses and out to meals on a daily basis to connect and dig deep into the subjects; our research institutes offer unmatched real-world experiences; our peers are competitive but the atmosphere is very peer supportive; a huge number of students study abroad (I did and loved it)

Incredible. I wish I never had to graduate.

Common Application Supplement, Interviews (optional), Early Decision option, great financial aid, prestigious scholarship opportunities

Classes are size, making for accessible faculty and challenging discussions. The workload is heavy, but possible.

Everyone at CMC is extremely satisfied, due to close-knit dorm life, amazing food, challenging classes, active social life, and awesome facilities.

Common application with unique supplement, interview optional, early decision optional, financial aid and scholarship opportunities.

Liberal arts school: many general education requirements. All majors are academically excellent, but known for economics and government. Many interdisciplinary majors (EX. Environment, Economics, and Politics). Advisers are professors. Classes are small. Professors are easily accessible. Many research opportunities. Competitive but not in a bad way. Fair grading. Many notable faculty and alumni. Most students study abroad: it is easy and affordable. Workload is fair.

Housing is great: dorms are nice, housekeepers clean. Cost is expensive but many have great financial aid packages. Campus is well kept my maintenance crew. Facilities are well kept and include a pool, study area, computer labs. Library is a short walk and great pace to study. Dining is great. Surrounding neighborhood is nice: upper class village. Very safe. Very happy.

Common application with additional unique supplement. Optional interviews. Early decisions and regular decision. Great financial aid rewards. Some scholarships.