“CMC is a fantastic place to spend 4 years”
April 2018FORMER STUDENT

Wonderful college experience — smart peers, great professors, and a lovely place to become an adult

Slightly less name recognition on east coast than peer schools

Comments

Visit! CMC is all about fit. The 5C community is fantastic, really gives you the social benefits of a slightly larger college with the administrative/logistical benefits of a small school.

There are more GE requirements than at most other schools, including other liberal arts institutions. We have the unique opportunity to cross-major (major at any of the other 4 colleges we share a campus with) while still retaining a diploma from CMC. Class sizes are always capped at 19. Research opportunities are abundant; if a student wants a research position s/he can generally find one. The lower level classes are typically filled with student athletes. More than half of students study abroad; I had the opportunity to spend a semester working full-time plus taking classes in Washington, DC on CMC's unique Washington Program. CMC professors generally don't inflate grades.

Housing is expensive but worth it. 99 percent of students stay on campus all 4 years, which is a rarity. We have a great library, which is shared amongst 5 schools -- this gives us the benefit of remaining a small, tight-knit school while having the resources of a larger insitution. The same is true with the dining halls, as we can eat at one of 7 across all the schools at any given time. Crime is very low and many students feel comfortable leaving their belongings (including computers and the like) alone for shorter periods of time out in public. The neighborhood is great, and the village of Claremont is within walking distance and has many places to relax and find food on a weekend afternoon. We were ranked by the Daily Beast as the Happiest Students at any school in the country, and it's very much the truth.

The application consists of the Common App plus an additional, very unique set of college-specific questions. I applied regular decision, but many others I know applied early decision. Financial aid is very generous and is all grant-based (no loans.) Many scholarship opportunities exist, especially for minorities/underprivileged students and students looking for interdisciplinary majors.

Classes are size, making for accessible faculty and challenging discussions. The workload is heavy, but possible.

Everyone at CMC is extremely satisfied, due to close-knit dorm life, amazing food, challenging classes, active social life, and awesome facilities.

Common application with unique supplement, interview optional, early decision optional, financial aid and scholarship opportunities.

The admission office emphasizes fit with the college's emphasis on a pragmatic approach to academics, and leadership in public affairs. Each applicant writes a supplementary leadership essay, in which they advise a leader of their choice - real or fictional.

Students love dorms and almost everyone lives on campus.

Unique essay prompts. Common app.

We have general requirements for a breadth of subjects and room to major in many areas; our classes are small and professors have students over to their houses and out to meals on a daily basis to connect and dig deep into the subjects; our research institutes offer unmatched real-world experiences; our peers are competitive but the atmosphere is very peer supportive; a huge number of students study abroad (I did and loved it)

Incredible. I wish I never had to graduate.

Common Application Supplement, Interviews (optional), Early Decision option, great financial aid, prestigious scholarship opportunities

There are very comprehensive general requirements that involve students in real 'liberal arts'. That is, students must take math, two sciences, humanities, social studies, economics, government, and language in addition to major classes. The selection of GE courses is fantastic, though, and rarely is a real problem to complete. Class sizes are fantastic. Never too large - I have upper division Spanish courses (one of my majors) with six people. All in all... very supportive and fantastic.

In a word... we are the happiest in the nation!

Using the Common Application online, CMC asks you to complete the general application with a personal statement, transcript, etc. CMC also asks students to complete more comprehensive questions, as well as a full extra "leadership" essay analyzing the style and life of a world leader. CMC also considers visits, interviews, and overnight stays. It's very comprehensive. The big scholarship opportunity for CMC are the Seaver and McKenna Scholars apps - best done in advance.

1/3rd of your classes are general education requirements, classified into different groups. Another 1/3 is major requirements if you're a single major. An academic advisor is assigned to you upon your arrival and they are extremely accessible. Most classes are under 17, but if you are in a big class (i was in one of the two 60-people classes they offer!) the atmosphere is very similar to that of a big class and the professor will ensure that you're not lost. There are plenty of research opportunities on campus, even for freshmen. Although the college is highly selective, the competition is with yourself and no one else. Grading varies based on the class and professor. The faculty is extremely well know in their respective fields, especially the economics, government/IR and lit faculty. Approximately 50-60% of CMC students study abroad at some point of their 4 years.

The housing is the best I've seen, with maid service bimonthly at all dorms. Although Claremont is a relatively expensive neighborhood, cost of living isn't too high as most of your activities are within the college premises. The library is brilliantly equipped for a college of its size and the atmosphere is extremely safe. The college is rated the happiest in the world with reason enough and almost all students are very happy to be there!

Common application and a supplement, with 1 long essay on a leader o your choice and a 'Why CMC' short essay. I applied Regular Decision and met with an admission's officer for an interview.

My professors have office hours several times a week and many of them live within walking distance of campus. Furthermore, my dorm room is located within 150 yards of all of my professors' offices. It is hard to live amongst a faculty more accessible than what we have here at CMC. My classes are small and as a science major, my labs are even smaller. Because we are a liberal arts college, research opportunities are plentiful without competition from graduate students.

Most schools at the top of the rankings will give you a similar academic experience. CMC is uniquely focused on maintaining a high quality of student life through its residential and social programs. Our dorms are among the best and we have food to match. Furthermore, being part of a consortium means that there are numerous dining halls that we can pick from. These are just some of the many reasons why CMC students are the happiest in the nation.

The admission process at CMC is very straight forward and nothing less than what you would expect from one of the most selective liberal arts colleges in the U.S. Unlike other colleges, CMC puts more emphasis on the activity sheet from high school and previous demonstration of leadership potential. CMC's admission office is also looking for fit. CMC is more concerned with admitting students that will fit into the CMC community than simply admitting the students with the highest SAT/ACT scores. Our admission officers are extremely helpful and outgoing. They do not exhibit the same arrogance and pretentious behavior demonstrated by admission officers at similarly selective institutions.

Many general education requirements but also a lot of choices and options. Creates very balanced students. Degree requirements are often 9 classes for the full major but vary based on the major. Lots of electives and higher level courses. 8-10 research institutions on campus. class sizes are very small. Largest class i have been in is maybe 35 and the smallest class is 8. Average is around 18 or 19. Assigned one adviser at the beginning of freshman year. They stick with you all four years unless you change. Changing is easy. Students that change majors often change advisers. Advisers are assigned based on academic interests indicated in the application. School is very competitive but not debilitatingly so. We are a very tight community and very friendly . Many notable faculty. One recently spoke on CBS. Grading is fair. Many study abroad opportunities including a program in Washington DC

There is a reason we were voted the happiest students in America... It is because we are. Our quality of life at CMC is amazing. We have great food, a great campus, lots of opportunities on campus and off campus, living facilities are great. Crime is nonexistent, the neighborhood is fantastic, the library is huge with too many books. Overall happiness is the happiest in America

Common Application, financial aid, scholarship opportunities, early decision, supplement essays, no interviews, informational interviews, college tours, on campus visits, on campus days, admitted students days,