“CMC is a fantastic place to spend 4 years”
April 2018FORMER STUDENT

Wonderful college experience — smart peers, great professors, and a lovely place to become an adult

Slightly less name recognition on east coast than peer schools

Comments

Visit! CMC is all about fit. The 5C community is fantastic, really gives you the social benefits of a slightly larger college with the administrative/logistical benefits of a small school.

Lots of GEs, good academic advising, small classes (less than 19 people), many research opportunities, fantastic faculty, great study abroad opportunities.

outstanding!

Common App + Supplement. Early Decision and Regular Decision. Many financial aid and scholarship opportunities.

Many general education requirements but also a lot of choices and options. Creates very balanced students. Degree requirements are often 9 classes for the full major but vary based on the major. Lots of electives and higher level courses. 8-10 research institutions on campus. class sizes are very small. Largest class i have been in is maybe 35 and the smallest class is 8. Average is around 18 or 19. Assigned one adviser at the beginning of freshman year. They stick with you all four years unless you change. Changing is easy. Students that change majors often change advisers. Advisers are assigned based on academic interests indicated in the application. School is very competitive but not debilitatingly so. We are a very tight community and very friendly . Many notable faculty. One recently spoke on CBS. Grading is fair. Many study abroad opportunities including a program in Washington DC

There is a reason we were voted the happiest students in America... It is because we are. Our quality of life at CMC is amazing. We have great food, a great campus, lots of opportunities on campus and off campus, living facilities are great. Crime is nonexistent, the neighborhood is fantastic, the library is huge with too many books. Overall happiness is the happiest in America

Common Application, financial aid, scholarship opportunities, early decision, supplement essays, no interviews, informational interviews, college tours, on campus visits, on campus days, admitted students days,

1/3rd of your classes are general education requirements, classified into different groups. Another 1/3 is major requirements if you're a single major. An academic advisor is assigned to you upon your arrival and they are extremely accessible. Most classes are under 17, but if you are in a big class (i was in one of the two 60-people classes they offer!) the atmosphere is very similar to that of a big class and the professor will ensure that you're not lost. There are plenty of research opportunities on campus, even for freshmen. Although the college is highly selective, the competition is with yourself and no one else. Grading varies based on the class and professor. The faculty is extremely well know in their respective fields, especially the economics, government/IR and lit faculty. Approximately 50-60% of CMC students study abroad at some point of their 4 years.

The housing is the best I've seen, with maid service bimonthly at all dorms. Although Claremont is a relatively expensive neighborhood, cost of living isn't too high as most of your activities are within the college premises. The library is brilliantly equipped for a college of its size and the atmosphere is extremely safe. The college is rated the happiest in the world with reason enough and almost all students are very happy to be there!

Common application and a supplement, with 1 long essay on a leader o your choice and a 'Why CMC' short essay. I applied Regular Decision and met with an admission's officer for an interview.

Classes are size, making for accessible faculty and challenging discussions. The workload is heavy, but possible.

Everyone at CMC is extremely satisfied, due to close-knit dorm life, amazing food, challenging classes, active social life, and awesome facilities.

Common application with unique supplement, interview optional, early decision optional, financial aid and scholarship opportunities.

Lots of GE requirements, but also a lot of choices within those, reasonable amount of major requirements, a lot of faculty advising, class sizes at an average of 16, office hours all over the place, healthy competition (not cut-throat), grading is usually consistent within a department, very notable faculty (Jack Pitney, Jamaica Kincaid), numerous study abroad opportunities (50%+ students study abroad), the Washington DC progam is unique, workload is do-able, but tough!

Great housing (rated one of the top), pricey costs but lots of amenities like housekeeping services, well-maintained facilities, huge library for the Claremont Consortium, dining services are superb, the neighborhood is safe with a nice village area, not a ton of community relations, crimes are scarce and campus safety is top-notch. WE ARE THE HAPPIEST COLLEGE IN THE U.S.!

- Common Application

- Early Decision I and II

- Merit and Need based scholarships

- Interviews (alumni ones, too)

- 3 short essay questions in the supplement

- A few fill in the blank questions

- A Leadership essay

We have general requirements for a breadth of subjects and room to major in many areas; our classes are small and professors have students over to their houses and out to meals on a daily basis to connect and dig deep into the subjects; our research institutes offer unmatched real-world experiences; our peers are competitive but the atmosphere is very peer supportive; a huge number of students study abroad (I did and loved it)

Incredible. I wish I never had to graduate.

Common Application Supplement, Interviews (optional), Early Decision option, great financial aid, prestigious scholarship opportunities

There are very comprehensive general requirements that involve students in real 'liberal arts'. That is, students must take math, two sciences, humanities, social studies, economics, government, and language in addition to major classes. The selection of GE courses is fantastic, though, and rarely is a real problem to complete. Class sizes are fantastic. Never too large - I have upper division Spanish courses (one of my majors) with six people. All in all... very supportive and fantastic.

In a word... we are the happiest in the nation!

Using the Common Application online, CMC asks you to complete the general application with a personal statement, transcript, etc. CMC also asks students to complete more comprehensive questions, as well as a full extra "leadership" essay analyzing the style and life of a world leader. CMC also considers visits, interviews, and overnight stays. It's very comprehensive. The big scholarship opportunity for CMC are the Seaver and McKenna Scholars apps - best done in advance.

The admission office emphasizes fit with the college's emphasis on a pragmatic approach to academics, and leadership in public affairs. Each applicant writes a supplementary leadership essay, in which they advise a leader of their choice - real or fictional.

Many general education requirements, small class sizes, accessible professors with great research opportunities.

Everyone lives on campus. It is a safe and happy campus with great people and great facilities.

Common app, with supplement questions. Early decision I and II.