“CMC is a fantastic place to spend 4 years”
April 2018FORMER STUDENT

Wonderful college experience — smart peers, great professors, and a lovely place to become an adult

Slightly less name recognition on east coast than peer schools

Comments

Visit! CMC is all about fit. The 5C community is fantastic, really gives you the social benefits of a slightly larger college with the administrative/logistical benefits of a small school.

The admission office emphasizes fit with the college's emphasis on a pragmatic approach to academics, and leadership in public affairs. Each applicant writes a supplementary leadership essay, in which they advise a leader of their choice - real or fictional.

Common App + essays

There are very comprehensive general requirements that involve students in real 'liberal arts'. That is, students must take math, two sciences, humanities, social studies, economics, government, and language in addition to major classes. The selection of GE courses is fantastic, though, and rarely is a real problem to complete. Class sizes are fantastic. Never too large - I have upper division Spanish courses (one of my majors) with six people. All in all... very supportive and fantastic.

In a word... we are the happiest in the nation!

Using the Common Application online, CMC asks you to complete the general application with a personal statement, transcript, etc. CMC also asks students to complete more comprehensive questions, as well as a full extra "leadership" essay analyzing the style and life of a world leader. CMC also considers visits, interviews, and overnight stays. It's very comprehensive. The big scholarship opportunity for CMC are the Seaver and McKenna Scholars apps - best done in advance.

There are more GE requirements than at most other schools, including other liberal arts institutions. We have the unique opportunity to cross-major (major at any of the other 4 colleges we share a campus with) while still retaining a diploma from CMC. Class sizes are always capped at 19. Research opportunities are abundant; if a student wants a research position s/he can generally find one. The lower level classes are typically filled with student athletes. More than half of students study abroad; I had the opportunity to spend a semester working full-time plus taking classes in Washington, DC on CMC's unique Washington Program. CMC professors generally don't inflate grades.

Housing is expensive but worth it. 99 percent of students stay on campus all 4 years, which is a rarity. We have a great library, which is shared amongst 5 schools -- this gives us the benefit of remaining a small, tight-knit school while having the resources of a larger insitution. The same is true with the dining halls, as we can eat at one of 7 across all the schools at any given time. Crime is very low and many students feel comfortable leaving their belongings (including computers and the like) alone for shorter periods of time out in public. The neighborhood is great, and the village of Claremont is within walking distance and has many places to relax and find food on a weekend afternoon. We were ranked by the Daily Beast as the Happiest Students at any school in the country, and it's very much the truth.

The application consists of the Common App plus an additional, very unique set of college-specific questions. I applied regular decision, but many others I know applied early decision. Financial aid is very generous and is all grant-based (no loans.) Many scholarship opportunities exist, especially for minorities/underprivileged students and students looking for interdisciplinary majors.

Students love dorms and almost everyone lives on campus.

Unique essay prompts. Common app.

There are a variety of general education requirements as well as major degree requirements. The class sizes are small. The study abroad opportunities are excellent.

housing is great because most students live on campus. It provides a safe sense of community and a safe environment. The dining halls are pretty great. Overall I am happy

The school has many short essay questions that are actually really interesting and creative questions to ask students. Interviews are optional. They also have early decision 1 and 2 as well as regular decision. The financial aid is great.

We have general requirements for a breadth of subjects and room to major in many areas; our classes are small and professors have students over to their houses and out to meals on a daily basis to connect and dig deep into the subjects; our research institutes offer unmatched real-world experiences; our peers are competitive but the atmosphere is very peer supportive; a huge number of students study abroad (I did and loved it)

Incredible. I wish I never had to graduate.

Common Application Supplement, Interviews (optional), Early Decision option, great financial aid, prestigious scholarship opportunities

Many general education requirements but also a lot of choices and options. Creates very balanced students. Degree requirements are often 9 classes for the full major but vary based on the major. Lots of electives and higher level courses. 8-10 research institutions on campus. class sizes are very small. Largest class i have been in is maybe 35 and the smallest class is 8. Average is around 18 or 19. Assigned one adviser at the beginning of freshman year. They stick with you all four years unless you change. Changing is easy. Students that change majors often change advisers. Advisers are assigned based on academic interests indicated in the application. School is very competitive but not debilitatingly so. We are a very tight community and very friendly . Many notable faculty. One recently spoke on CBS. Grading is fair. Many study abroad opportunities including a program in Washington DC

There is a reason we were voted the happiest students in America... It is because we are. Our quality of life at CMC is amazing. We have great food, a great campus, lots of opportunities on campus and off campus, living facilities are great. Crime is nonexistent, the neighborhood is fantastic, the library is huge with too many books. Overall happiness is the happiest in America

Common Application, financial aid, scholarship opportunities, early decision, supplement essays, no interviews, informational interviews, college tours, on campus visits, on campus days, admitted students days,

Liberal arts school: many general education requirements. All majors are academically excellent, but known for economics and government. Many interdisciplinary majors (EX. Environment, Economics, and Politics). Advisers are professors. Classes are small. Professors are easily accessible. Many research opportunities. Competitive but not in a bad way. Fair grading. Many notable faculty and alumni. Most students study abroad: it is easy and affordable. Workload is fair.

Housing is great: dorms are nice, housekeepers clean. Cost is expensive but many have great financial aid packages. Campus is well kept my maintenance crew. Facilities are well kept and include a pool, study area, computer labs. Library is a short walk and great pace to study. Dining is great. Surrounding neighborhood is nice: upper class village. Very safe. Very happy.

Common application with additional unique supplement. Optional interviews. Early decisions and regular decision. Great financial aid rewards. Some scholarships.