“Undergraduate Experience at Case Western”
November 2017CURRENT STUDENT

Top notch departments in wide variety of fields, particularly sciences, beautiful campus, in an underrated urban environment.

Like any Midwestern school, the winters can be dreary, but made up for in easy to get around campus with lots of dining, entertainment, and recreational opportunities.

Comments

Great choice for students looking for the same breath of options at a mega university,but in a smaller, more intimate college community.

“Excellent engineering program”
March 2015FORMER STUDENT

Very smart students. You'll meet people who will motivate you to succeed.

Like most engineering schools, not the best social atmosphere. It's in Cleveland, Ohio -- not as exciting as Boston, NYC, or many other places.

Comments

If you're looking for a good engineering program with very bright and motivated students, this is a good place. If you're looking to party and not study very much, you could pick many better alternatives.

Core writing classes, school-spacific core curriculum, large lecture halls for intro-level classes, small and manageable sizes for more specific classes.

Expensive, standard to nice housing, well-maintained facilities, sketchy neighborhood, FANTASTIC campus security. Many students complain, but are on the whole happy.

Common App, interview

Very rigorous major requirements, especially for science majors such as myself. Some general requirements seem unneeded, but they do not interfere much. Intense workload in almost all courses. Students are competitive, but still help each other out a lot. Teachers are tough graders, but getting good grades is still manageable. Advisors and staff are regularly accessible. Most classes have student instructors that hold supplemental sessions. It is incredibly easy to find research here.

Freshman dorms are a bit cramped, but upperclassman dorms are very nice. Facilities are all very modern and useful. Food on campus is excellent, and there are a few restaurants around that accept the meal plan. Cost of living is relatively low. The surrounding neighborhood is a bit unsafe at night--a few students have had their wallets taken, but nobody was hurt. There is a good escort system to keep you safe when walking at night.

Supplemental applications, early action, common application, financial aid, SAT tests

common application, additional essay,

We have a SAGES program, which is essentially english in disguise.

Expensive, but good quality. The area is a bit dangerous, but they do try their best to keep us safe.

I applied early action. My school was also on the Common Application.

Each undergraduate class is about 1000 students total, but the strong focus on engineering at our school means that most of the first-year engineering courses are still very large, the largest being about 400 students. Class sizes decrease quickly as the courses become more specific. Every student takes three semesters of small, discussion-based classes that are unrelated to the major during his/her first two years. The level of academic rigor is similar to that of an ivy-league school, but the students are less competitive and more willing to work together so that everyone might succeed.

There are some bad neighborhoods nearby, but the campus itself is very safe. Housing is standard for first- and second-year students and very nice for upperclassmen. The dorms are small, which promotes a large amount of social interaction within dorms. The dining halls do a good job at keeping meals from becoming repetitive; there is a large variety in menus and several places to eat on campus.

I used the Common Application, for which Case did not require any supplemental applications. My acceptance letter included information on a scholarship I had earned, but the application process for need-based aid started a few months later. I did not use an early decision process.

Case is a school of opportunity for anyone who may have an interest for any field. There are a couple general requirements, but these requirements tend to coincide with whichever major one wants to pursue.

The cost to live on campus is a little expensive, but overall quality is phenomenal. The campus itself is extremely pleasant with multiple areas to relax, study, and hang out with friends.

Everyone must fill out the Common Application as well as at least one standardized test. There is an option for early decision/early action and the school has a lot of different scholarship opportunities.

At CWRU we have the sages program that is our core curriculum under which we complete all of our English and other requirements, depending on the major.

I completed the Common Application early action, had an interview, and was automatically considered for scholarship. I also completed the FAFSA for financial aid opportunities

There is a very large work load, but it will all pay off in the end.

Common application. There is a lot to fill out in terms of financial aid.