“Great connections”
October 2015FORMER STUDENT

You meet some really interesting people. It's a fantastic place to make connections on Wall Street and other elite neighborhoods throughout the Northeast. For those who are career-driven, you will find this place caters extremely well to you. The work hard, play hard culture definitely thrives here.

The location is less to be desired. Cold, dreary, typical Northeast weather, except the closest major city is three hours away.

Comments

This is a perfect place for students who are reaching for the upper echelons who don't want/can't go to Harvard. Great name for those who have heard of it and great connections. To make it worth what they charge for tuition, you really do need to be career-driven to take advantage of the opportunities they offer.

It's what makes the University. The academic environment here is one of a kind. The students are not cut-throat and are there to form a support system with each other when it comes to getting work done. Everyone is there to help everyone. The faculty here are also one of a kind. They are here to make sure students get the best Bucknell experience they can. They are always looking for ways to meet students and help them in whatever endeavors they happen to be in.

While the school itself is very expensive, they do a good job in giving financial aid. It's the only reason I could even dream of attending a school like Bucknell. The dorm rooms are big enough, the people are friendly, and there is always something going on around campus.

They accept the Common Application along with some supplemental essays.

General requirements include a wide range of subjects, from lab sciences to humanities; that is because Bucknell wants students to have a well-rounded education. Advising is available to all students; they are assigned to an advisor from the department of their major. Professors are very accessible, by meeting, email, and even their home phone numbers. I have never had trouble seeking a professor's help. Most of the professors possess a PhD degree, and many of them are on the tenure track, showing the professor's expertise. The student to faculty ratio is 11 to 1, indicating the close relationship among students, and also between students and professors. Students are competitive here, but they also help each other strive toward their goals; it is not a dog-eat-dog environment. Classes and homework are meant to be challenging and stimulating, but the courseload is definitely not overwhelming. Students still have time to participate in extracurricular activities. Over 40 percent of the student population study abroad; the number also include engineers. There are numerous Bucknell-organized programs, along with over 150 approved programs led by other universities.

On campus accomodation is guaranteed for all 4 years at Bucknell, and the residential halls are really nice and spacious. Cost of living is not expensive, considering most of the activities are localized on campus, and many of the events are free.

Library is very comprehensive, consisting of 5 floors, with over 800,000 volumes of books, journals, etc. There is also a tech desk that can assist with computer problems. Our library also has a convenient cafe, where students can purchase food and beverages.

Campus is very safe; I never feel frightened to walk alone at night. Public safety is always available, which is a strong assurance of security of campus.

Bucknell is very involved with the local community, and has strong ties through service projects, fundraising events, etc. During orientation, there is even a tradition where students take a tour of downtown Lewisburg and go into different stores to obtain prizes.

Overall happiness is high at Bucknell. Students really enjoy the campus because it becomes a second home to them.

The process includes the common application and Bucknell's own supplemental section, which include essays. People who apply early decision have a higher chance of admittance. Therefore students who know they want to go to Bucknell should apply early decision. Financial aid and scholarship opportunities are considered automatically.

There are core classes, being a liberal arts education, and these involve classes in the natural sciences, social sciences, humanities, etc.; a breadth and expansion of knowledge beyond one's major. Depending on the major, one will have to complete more or less courses. The typical major has at least nine requirements. Academic advising is very available, and each student is given a faculty member in their major to aid them through the process of choosing classes for the next semester. It is required to see your adviser at least once a semester. Class sizes are on average 23, but can range anywhere from 5 to 100. Regardless of the class size, all professors are required to have office hours available, and also allow students to meet with them by appointment. Most professors, however, are extremely accessible outside their office hours and always eager for a new student to embark inside their doors. Research is amazing here and due to a low graduate student population, the undergraduate students have a large opportunity to interact and work closely with professors on whatever research project they desire. In addition, money and sponsorship of individual research projects is easily available. Classes are competitive, but only because all the applicants are competitive in nature and extremely brilliant. Study abroad is highly prevalent and extremely accessible all over the world. The paperwork is much simpler than at other universities, and the individual attention given by study abroad advisers is superb!

Housing is on the upper end here. The cost of living is fairly high, but that is expected of any university given the opportunities and freely given resources and adventures. Campus is beautiful and most of the dormitories are larger than other universities. The library is an amazing asset of the university, with five floors and individual research assistants per major. The dining is one of the top rated in the country for small private colleges/universities. We are extremely connected with the surrounding town, and have a great relationship with them. Campus is overall extremely safe, and I have never heard of a sketchy situation occurring. Being a RA (resident assistant), this is extremely gratifying. Overall, campus life is very exciting, exhilirating and full of fun and happiness!

The application process involves the Common Application as well as individual essays. Interviews are available but not required and do not have an effect on the applicant's acceptance. You can apply early decision, and rumor has it that this track gives you a higher probability of being accepted, but regular decision is a more common route for most applicants. Financial aid is heavily available, given need and merit scholarships are quite popular as well.

There are specific requirements for majors, core classes, as well as specific electives. Undergraduate research is easily accessible in and out of major. Professors are easily accessible and want students to attend review sessions and come to their house for barbecues!

The housing is amazing. All my rooms have always been really new and clean. Anytime I needed a light bulb changed, or needed to borrow a vacuum, or new blinds, I got anything the next day, free of charge! The departments also have lots of resources. Whenever during my research I needed a special machine or ingredient, they would let me get it as long as my professor approved it.

Unique application questions, essays, interviews. There is the common Application, but supplements are required.

Challenging but not overwhelming. Small classes. Fair grading. Wonderful study abroad office. Research opportunities for students at all levels in all departments. Students have a great deal of freedom in choosing classes to satisfy the general requirements for graduation, and most majors allow students to choose from a variety of courses to satisfy the requirements of the major.

Incredibly safe. Low cost of living. Students are extremely happy here. Good relationship with the town of Lewisburg.

No interviews, but optional essay on the application to get to know applicants. Early decision 1 and 2, no early action.

one lab science, foundation seminary, writing courses, I have had classes from 6 people to about 30 people

the food is great and it is a very safe campus

I did early decision and got a very good financial aid package. You apply through the common application.

Generally students take 4 classes per semester. Classes that I have taken are on average less than 20 students per class. Professors are extremely available for extra help, TAs are not allowed to teach classes and there are research opportunities and study abroad opportunities for all majors.

There is guaranteed housing for everyone for all 4 years. We have great facilities and the campus is clean and well-kept. The rooms are big and the bathrooms are great. Our library has a lot of great technology, a bunch of computers and help with research. Our campus is one of the safest in the country and there is very low crime. There is always something to do on campus and there are a bunch of school sponsored activities. The cost of living is inexpensive in central PA and there is a super Walmart (with shuttles from the school) which has everything you might need. The food is ridiculously good.

Bucknell accepts the common application with a few supplemental questions. You may interview with admissions as well. Bucknell has early decision, but not early action. Need based financial aid is awarded to the students who are eligible according to FASFA.

I graduated with a bachelor of science in business administration. The best part of my education was that I received a professional degree with a strong foundation in the liberal arts. While my quantitative and analytical skills were greatly enhanced- I also became an effective writer and public speaker. The accessibility to professors is unmatched. I have had dinner in professors homes and have been taken out for lunch on several occasions. The professors who come to Bucknell are there because they want to teach. All of the classes are small and most of my professors knew the names of the entire class by the end of the first week. Education at Bucknell is not something that just happens by showing up for class- there is an expectation to be engaged and have a thirst for knowledge.

Bucknell is beautiful. When I walked onto campus for the first time the school mirrored what I imagined college was supposed to look like. The groundskeepers, students and staff take pride in keeping the school looking pristine. The campus facilities are always up to date and often cutting edge. The only thing rivaling the physical beauty of the campus are the girls that attend.

Crime beyond underage drinking is almost nonexistent- everyone feels safe. People leave their laptops and books unattended in the library and the lockers in the gym are rarely locked. While tuition is high, cost of living is not. The social fraternities and extracurricular groups provide inexpensive entertainment. The local bars and restaurants are relatively inexpensive.

Bucknell's admission team was approachable and exceptionally informative throughout the application process. The admission officers always responded to any email or inquiry. I felt that I was being evaluated not only by my academic performance, but what I could contribute to the school outside of the classroom. While one cannot really judge a school by its admissions office, it was easy to get a sense that Bucknell is as collegial as the admissions staff professes it to be.

2009

Core requirements are minimal, and physical education is not required. Degree requirements are flexible and it is easy to double major. Advising is excellent-Bucknell makes sure that students graduate in four years unless they are in a specific 5-year program. Class size is small, and professors focus more on classes than their research, which makes for a smaller, interactive, and personal experience. Students who want to research have plenty of opportunities to do so. Grading is fair and varies by professor. Most students study abroad, as it is strongly encouraged. Students are extremely driven and competitive with themselves, and not each other. Bucknell students go out of their ways to help each other, but are very focused on achieving their own high marks. Professors are very accessible. Professors do their own grading and teaching, and very little is done by TAs. Professors hold weekly office hours. Bucknell goes out of its way to schedule finals, midterms, etc. during periods that are convenient for students (no midterms the week after breaks). There is a reasonable amount of work--most students do not have much idle time, but are not overloaded either. This allows students to become involved on campus.

Housing is much better than all of the other schools that I visited. Most halls have air conditioning, though some are still old and in need of renovation. Campus is beautiful, and most people decided to live on campus all four years. The library includes lots of computers, including Apple facilities, and lots of printing. Printing is free. The neighborhood unfortunately has little to offer. The only crime on campus is drinking-related and very minimal. I could walk across campus at 4am by myself and always feel safe. The student body is VERY happy and loves Bucknell and fellow Bucknellians dearly.

I first toured the school and made a contact within the admissions department. Then, I applied using the common application on a regular decision basis. I kept in contact with an admissions counselor, which was helpful given that I chose not to interview. Though my scores were above Bucknell's average by a significant margin, I am under the impression that admissions at Bucknell are decided more by the student's interest in the school that his/her scores. That is, a student with slightly lower scores that actively exhibits an interest in Bucknell is more likely to get in than a student with slightly higher scores that does not show interest.

2009