Bryn Mawr has required classes in the quantitative, social science, and humanities fields. Classes vary in size depending on the level of the class and the major but the majority of the classes range in size from 20-5.

Bryn Mawr has a great community atmosphere. Most students live on campus in the dorms, which are incredibly well-maintained. Our dining facilities are also fantastic.

Bryn Mawr uses the Common application in addition to a supplemental specialized application that has a special essay question on it. They allow for both early and regular decision applicants and strongly encourage all applicants to interview with the admissions office.

2009

Workload and expectations of professors is very high. Class size was very small in my department.

Housing is wonderful. Almost everyone lives in college housing all 4 years. We have an honor code so there is very little crime and I always felt safe on campus.

Bryn Mawr uses the Common Application, but also has a supplement. They offer both Early Action and Early Decision options. Financial Aid is need sensitive and is not based on academic standing but on financial need.

2009

8:1 student/faculty ratio; many deans assigned to help the undergraduate body; professors must have office hours and are very available; grading is not a public thing due to the honor code, neither is competitiveness - it's about being competitive with yourself

Beautiful gothic dorms, nice neighborhood, not too much party life

Unique essays, applications; ED is an option; common app; a lot of financial aid

Academics are rigorous, but rewarding. The courses I have taken at Bryn Mawr have provided me with phenomenal analytical skills.

Bryn Mawr requires the common app with a supplement unique to the school. Interviews are optional, but recommended.

Bryn Mawr does not operate on any type of grading curve, therefore the highest expection level is expected of every student. Professors are always willing to meet with students outside of the classroom for additional discussion, or explanation, and were often accomodating to conflicting schedules. Class sizes are purposely small to stimulate conversation and discussion.

As far as applications go, the one unique aspect of Bryn Mawr's process is that they do not require applicants to directly pay the college for the application fee. The college has determined that because they do not need additional resources for filing applications, that they would rather see applicants make a charitable donation to a not-for-profit of their choice, in liew of an application fee. The only requirement is that the receipt be provided with the application.

2006

3 divisional requirements: 2 social science, 2 humanities and 2 sciences. I majored in English, and I had an academic adviser for all 4 years, though I was closer them in my last 2 years. My class sizes were small, around 10-15 people. My professors were very accessible, I went to their offices often and had dinner with them on occasion. Through an undergraduate research fellowship, I got to work intensively with one of my professors who opened me up to the field of research I plan to pursue in the next few years.

Housing and Food are expensive. We have great libraries, great food and a wonderful living space. We don't have an incredible social life, so sometimes I wish there were more social events. On the other hand, there are always speakers, outside guests, or other events sponsored by the school during the weekend/weeknights.

There are no core classes, only divisional requirements that can be filled with a wide array of classes. Major requirements are not so overwhelming that you can't experience the full liberal arts education. Class sizes are small -- I think the average is 18 -- but I've had classes of 5 and 6 people plus the professor. Professors are super accessible out of class via email and office hours, research opportunities abound for students in all fields. Grading is difficult and the workload is heavy but it bonds the student body that we're "all in it together." About a third of students study abroad, typically for one semester, but there are also Bryn Mawr sponsored summer programs as well as year-long programs for language majors.

The campus and housing is beautiful. You will feel like you are a living in a castle. Most students are able to live in singles during their upperclasswomen experiences, should they choose to do so. The neighborhood is friendly and loves Bryn Mawr students.

We have 3 libraries, so you get to choose your favorite. We also have access to Haverford and Swarthmore's collection of books (and movies!) via a tri-college library van (they will be delivered to your campus).

The campus is very safe, as is the surrounding neighborhood. Overall happiness is high.

There are two early decision deadlines in addition to the regular decision, which gives students who need a little extra time to still be considered in the early decision pool. Interviews can be done on campus or off-campus with alumnae and are recommended but not required. Financial Aid is really comprehensive; all demonstrated need for admitted students will be met.