As a liberal arts college students are required to study a wide array of disciplines before graduation. This ensures a breadth of academic exposure. The faculty/student ratio is 8:1 and professors are extremely accessible and willing to help. Study abroad is heavily encouraged for Juniors.

Most students live on campus as it helps build the strong sense of community Bryn Mawr fosters. The facilities are excellent and the architecture is stunning.

Bryn Mawr is text-flexible, offering a different approach to what kind of tests and how many test scores you wish to send. There is a supplement to the Common Application and an interview is encouraged if possible. Students may apply Early Decision and Regular Decision.

Workload and expectations of professors is very high. Class size was very small in my department.

Housing is wonderful. Almost everyone lives in college housing all 4 years. We have an honor code so there is very little crime and I always felt safe on campus.

Bryn Mawr uses the Common Application, but also has a supplement. They offer both Early Action and Early Decision options. Financial Aid is need sensitive and is not based on academic standing but on financial need.

2009

Academics are strenuous but rewarding at Bryn Mawr. There is no core curriculum, but there are certain divisional requirements (I cannot comment on the specifics as they recently changed). Degree requirements vary by major, but for mine - Political Science - we had to take ten courses within our field, including two introductory courses and several advanced courses. Within my major, we also pick two concentrations (ie American or International Politics, Comparative Politics etc.). Class sizes are very small - usually between 10 and 15 students; anything north of 20 is considered very large, especially in the humanities and social sciences courses. Professors are incredible accessible and welcoming; it is very clear that their goal is for their students to be successful. Because of Bryn Mawr's honor code, the only real competition is with yourself; students do not discuss grades with each other in order to engender more support within our community. Study abroad opportunities are generally very good. We do not have as many options as students would at large universities, but there are still plenty of places to go. I studied abroad at the University of Cape Town in South Africa; because BMC has a relationship with the school I did not have to apply to a special program and was sent there as simply an exchange student. The workload can be intense but good time management can prevent too many all-nighters. In that vein, professors are also great about offering extensions if you're in a bind.

Housing is guaranteed all four years and the dorms are absolutely beautiful, but it is all dorms and room and board is fairly expensive. The campus is ridiculously beautiful; you can vividly picture the class of 1889 walking around in the same buildings. As a result, the facilities can be lacking. However, the beauty of the campus makes up for it and it is an incredibly safe area.

My favorite part of Bryn Mawr is the community; it is a small, close-knit group of smart women who all consider Bryn Mawr to be home. It is definitely not for everyone, but if a student stays here beyond sophomore year, the chances are that they really love it.

Our school uses the Common App but has a supplementary essay, interviews are optional, early decision I and II are available but not early action. We are also able to wave our application fee in lieu of a charitable donation. I cannot speak to financial aid or scholarships as I do not have any.

Bryn Mawr has required classes in the quantitative, social science, and humanities fields. Classes vary in size depending on the level of the class and the major but the majority of the classes range in size from 20-5.

Bryn Mawr has a great community atmosphere. Most students live on campus in the dorms, which are incredibly well-maintained. Our dining facilities are also fantastic.

Bryn Mawr uses the Common application in addition to a supplemental specialized application that has a special essay question on it. They allow for both early and regular decision applicants and strongly encourage all applicants to interview with the admissions office.

2009

Academics are rigorous, but rewarding. The courses I have taken at Bryn Mawr have provided me with phenomenal analytical skills.

Bryn Mawr requires the common app with a supplement unique to the school. Interviews are optional, but recommended.

8:1 student/faculty ratio; many deans assigned to help the undergraduate body; professors must have office hours and are very available; grading is not a public thing due to the honor code, neither is competitiveness - it's about being competitive with yourself

Beautiful gothic dorms, nice neighborhood, not too much party life

Unique essays, applications; ED is an option; common app; a lot of financial aid

Common application plus supplement

There are core requirements in different academic divisions and then students must also choose a major course of study that has its own requirements. There is a required writing seminar for freshmen as well. Class sizes tend to be around 25 people at most and professors generally love speaking with students for a long time in my experience. Lots of study abroad options and opportunities to learn about research. Students are supposed to compete against themselves in the classroom due to our academic honor code so grades are not a widely discussed topic.

Housing and meal plan can be expensive but food is good and dorms are better than I've heard about at many other schools. Most students get singles as upperclassmen. Very safe area. Overall happiness is hard to gauge- people are happy about different things and like to challenge themselves so people aren't happy all the time- that's life. But people are generally very reflective on life.

Common application used but with a special supplement question on why I was interested in a Bryn Mawr education. I appreciated that I could choose to donate my application fee to a local charity- that was unique and set BMC apart for me. The alumnae interview network was also helpful and I had a good experience being interviewed. I was accepted regular decision and thought it was really special when me regional admissions officer called me to let me know I was accepted. I didn't even remember meeting her very well but we connected at a school college fair.

Bryn Mawr is always working to improve their application. However, it is very standard and similar to other liberal arts applications - common app & why you want to go to bryn mawr. The tours at Bryn Mawr have recently changed - they are more focused on current student's experience instead of a fact-focused tour. Also, admission officers look forward to talking with students and staff in the admissions office are outstanding!

Bryn Mawr does not operate on any type of grading curve, therefore the highest expection level is expected of every student. Professors are always willing to meet with students outside of the classroom for additional discussion, or explanation, and were often accomodating to conflicting schedules. Class sizes are purposely small to stimulate conversation and discussion.

As far as applications go, the one unique aspect of Bryn Mawr's process is that they do not require applicants to directly pay the college for the application fee. The college has determined that because they do not need additional resources for filing applications, that they would rather see applicants make a charitable donation to a not-for-profit of their choice, in liew of an application fee. The only requirement is that the receipt be provided with the application.

2006