“UWS style”
September 2018CURRENT STUDENT

the resources, the people, the spirit, the artsy campus, the political involvement, and New York

stress culture, dining services, not very inclusive. don't have access to all Columbia resources

Comments

In general, I love Barnard. But college is what you make of it. Visit the campus and talk to the people here.

“All Women's College”
September 2015FORMER STUDENT

Barnard really is a tight-knit community. The faculty, and administration really want the best for students. Very rigorous curricula for all, if not most, majors. Located in NYC. Share facilities with Columbia U.

Dorms are pretty small. Tuition is fairly high, and the Barnard gym is small.

Comments

This is the perfect school for women looking for sisterhood, outside-of-the-box learning, and an undergraduate experience in the Big Apple.

There are 2 first-year courses that are required, both English courses. Beyond that, Barnard has the "8 ways of knowing" requirement, which means taking courses to fufil 8 broad disciplines (there are many courses that satisfy each requirement) such as History, Quantitative Reasoning, and Literature.

Considering Barnard is in New York City, the housing is great. Some doors require renovation, but Barnard has been in the process of doing so, and most dorms are up to date. Cost of living in NYC can be high, but Barnard provides all the basics on campus. Access to gyms, libraries, etc., is really great, because you have both the Barnard and Columbia facilities at your disposal. Hewitt dining hall is really great quality. I loved living in the Morningside neighborhood because it is generally safe, and Barnard/Columbia public safety patrol often. The residents seem to love living in a college neighborhood and are generally friendly (as are the local businesses).

Barnard accepts the common application with a supplemental application. An interview is optional. The supplement has 5 short answer questions (a paragraph each). Barnard offers early decison. Admission is need blind - every accepted student is given the financial aid she needs, and her financial situation does not affect admission.

2009

Large but open core (9 Ways of Knowing), major degree requirements vary between majors (mine were both fairly extensive, I know some are not as much so). I found the thesis requirement very valuable, although the requirement seems to be applied very differently in the various majors which is probably my only complaint with it (grading, professor involvement, effort required, etc).

Cost of living is obviously higher than at many schools because we are in the city, but I think the school does a good job of trying to keep it down. I lived in campus housing all four years as most students do and had an overall good experience with it.

Unique application questions, some students had interviews (I believe), early decision/early action possibility.

Classes are very small; 70% of classes are 19 or fewer students! This means that it is very easy to get to know your professor well, either for general help, research, or as a mentor. Grading really depends on the professor, but most professors have very high standards. I would say it's competitive in the sense that everyone here works very hard. Study abroad is popular, about a third of Barnard students go abroad.

Housing has lots of different options (but sadly most dorms don't have AC for summer, but in NYC for the regular year you would only need it for two-three and a half weeks anyway), from singles to suite style to corridor style. Cost of living is high, it's the city! Campus is adorable, as it is very small and you are like to see someone you know walking around campus. Library is fine, the librarians are very sweet and they give out candy during finals, but they are actually planning a renovation of the library so that will be good. Morningside Heights is one of the safest neighborhoods in NYC! Overall I would say most students have a lot of Barnard pride, as they strive towards greatness.

Holistic approach to admissions. The Barnard supplement has very unique short answer questions. They encourage but do not require interviews. Early Decision is popular because they accept a lot of students through it (40%). They also use the Common App. Pay very close attention to everything you write, it's extermely important!

Barnard students have the great opportunity to experience a small liberal arts education in one of the most vibrant city atmospheres. Class sizes are small and professors are very approachable. Both professors and other administrators take an interest in students lives both academically and personally. While Barnard provides a small and comfortable environment to grow in leadership opportunities, New York City provides the space to explore and dive into outside volunteer and career opportunities.

NYC cost of living is high but it can be done. Students really need to take advantage of all the city has to offer and create their own community around their interests. Both Barnard and Columbia have plenty of options to be involved but no one but the student can make you do them.

I applied to Barnard through regular decision application process. I had previously met with an admissions rep through my high school and highly recommend this kind of pre-interview for anyone applying. She helped clarify the importance of the essay and some questions I had about women's colleges in general.

To be honest, the financial aid process is a terrible nightmare, but I recommend to any one who truly wants to go to Barnard that it is worth it to apply--keep pushing the office if there are issues.

Top level academics and professors, as well as students

Stimulating, exciting, interesting , never dull

2004 or earlier

Core requirements, major requirements, senior thesis. Class sizes are small and Barnard students may take classes at either Barnard or Columbia college.

Excellent, supportive, very enjoyable.

Application, essays, interviews, early decision - rigorous process and very selective.

2004 or earlier

In addiion to the common essay/ common application there are 4 or 5 other unique essays to complete. An interview is recommended though not required. Early decision candiaites must complete the application process by nov 15 and are committed to attend if accepted. Barnard requires the SAT and 2 SAT II exams or the ACT. Many applicant shave completed AP courses and exams as well.

2004 or earlier

I applied back in 2003 as an early decision candidate (and got in!). The process was all paper back then, and I am sure it has changed ... but I liked that Barnard had an open-ended essay question as opposed to other places that were SO specific. I had an alumna interview me on campus -- I now interview prospective students on a volunteer basis, and it is a key part to a students eventual decision to enroll (if the experience is positive or negative) ... it also gives admissions a little window into the actual PERSON.

2008