My ranking is based on my experience within my major. Auburn's core curriculum offers opportunities to study a variety of fields without being overwhelming or distracting from a student's major. Class sizes are good on the whole, more good be done to lessen the size of upper-level science courses. Professor accessibility and research opportunities from undergraduate students are superb; the focus placed on undergraduates at Auburn is outstanding. Grading is fair, professors will reward students for hard work but are unafraid to hand out low-marks; all A's (and B's) must be earned. The workload could seem heavy at times, but considering that my major is geared for future doctors and pharmacists, it is more than understandable that we should feel overwhelmed at times.

Auburn has an outstanding quality of life. The city is extremely safe, Auburn residents love meeting students, and everyone overall just loves being an Auburn student. Compared to larger markets (Atlanta, DC, etc.) housing is unbelievably inexpensive and well-kept. The cost of living is low as well with lower food prices and public transportation provided through the university. The library is open 24 hours during the school week and has quite a bit of space, providing an excellent study resource for students. Overall, few if any Auburn student would go anywhere else.

Auburn does not use the Common Application, but the application is simple and straight-forward, asking mostly only demographic information. Recently, students were asked to attach a list of extracurricular activities as well. Some scholarships are merit-based and some are merit and need-based; Auburn offers a large amount of need-based aid as well. The ability to "stack" scholarship offers from outside sources, university-wide and department-specific funds allows students to build a package up to the cost of attendance. Scholarship opportunities have increased dramatically since the recent capital campaign, specifically Freshman Scholarships. Auburn has Early Action but no Early Decision; Early Action is non-binding and is based solely on GPA and ACT/SAT test scores. Regular decision takes into consideration the extracurricular activities attachment as well as any other considerations brought to the attention of the admissions committees.

Auburn has a large amount to study abroad in countries like Spain, Italy and France, I know several people who went to these countries and loved it. Class sizes range from huge (up to 300 people) to small (up to 30 people.) It depends what class you take, such as beginning science, everyone needs it so they have a larger class size. They have Core Requirements so they can produce a well rounded student into the world, classes you must take include math, science, composition, literature and social science. After you complete these, you move on to your majors supporting coursework and/or prerequisite classes. Then they have outlined in a bulletin they give you during orientation your major requirements to graduate in that major. They also have readily availiable Academic Advisors on hand to help students with their plan of study.

When I came here, freshman could live off campus, but now they have built brand new dorms that are similar to apartments which I would have considered if I didnt already live off campus. Auburn has a very low crime rate and a small town field. I know all my neighbors in my apartment complex and have never had anything happen to me, my roommates or my apartment. They offer a large amount of dining services on campus which is good because they require new students to participate in a dining plan. Auburn University and the city of Auburn work very close together to ensure safety and a great time for all their residents, not just students. Not only is there a small town atmosphere but you have the convience of a city, there is a mall, walmart and target right down the road, as well as gas stations and great food places located everywhere. Because of this small town atmosphere with city convience I chose to go to Auburn.

I applied before Labor Day in 2006, which I believe helped me to be accepted. They do give preference to those with alumni. It is great to write a short paragraph about activities not involved in academics such as a job or sports. They ask questions such as why will you benefit Auburn, which you will have to write a short answer too. Overall the application process was very easy.

They have gen. ed. courses that are required. But not too many. Majority of general classes have many meeting times. As you specialize however times get rather limited. Work load can be tough depending on how you schedule. In COSAM advising is always available. All professors so far want you to come see them and are willing to meet around your time if you cannot meet during office hours.

There are 3 different areas to live at. Of them I have lived in two. Both are decent, no health issues, nothing rotting etc... Dining is nearby all housing areas and some have late hours. I do not fear walking on campus. We have emergency boxes we can press if we are in danger. Library is spacious and a wonderful resource. Overall Im extremely happy with life here and wouldn't choose another college.

Essays are fairly easy.

Make sure to fill out FAFSA by March 1st. AU has lots of scholarship opportunities.

Wonderful!

essays, early and regular decisions with early being slightly easier

Speaking strictly with regards to the Engineering Department, as I have little experience with other departments, academic advising, course structure, research opportunities, and career marketability are all top-notch. Class sizes are often relatively large, but many of these large classes can be taken as Honors classes, which are much more intimate and high-quality for the most part.

The application is fully online save for the required scores and documents that must be mailed. I do not believe that Auburn University uses the Common Application. Four short essays as well as a few sections of personal information are required. Admission is largely based on test scores and high school GPA, as are scholarship decisions. The necessary entrance/scholarship requirements are clearly outlined on the Auburn University website.

Within the Honors College class sizes are reasonably small, of course regular core classes have much bigger class sizes. There a many study abroad opportunities and it is highly encouraged by all colleges to spend a semester abroad. The core class requirements are broad as to make students well-rounded.

Typical application process, short essay questions, many scholarship opportunities within different colleges as well as the Honors College which sends you an invitation to apply if you are eligible.

I took most of my core classes before attending Auburn but the few I did take the classes were huge and taught by a student. The classes for my degree were very intense, the professors were there if you needed to ask a question but they didn't want to influence the way you executed the projects. The grading was very objective as it has to be in art.The class sizes were just right but would have been better if smaller. I was in school from 8:00-5:00 everyday then add homework I had no time for anything (job, friends, social life). My adviser was great never had a problem getting classes, but I always pre-registered so I wouldn't have any trouble. The only thing I would have liked to had was a class where the instructor was from outside the University working in the real world to teach us what happens when you get a job. It is nothing like school.

At Auburn you aren't required to live on campus as a freshman but there are advantages to being a memeber of a residential community. On campus there are 3 housing communities with 30 residence hall in total. All within walking distance of the academic buildings. As soon as you enroll you'll attend Camp War Eagle or S.O.S. to get to know your way around the campus. TigerCard is your ID for checking books out, gain access to buildings and get into events. You can use the card to dine on, can make purchases from merchants around town.There are 16 dining venues across campus with seven unique concepts located in the new student union. There are 11 computer labs across campus, high speed internet in the residence hall.There is a medical clinic full-service primary care facility. Campus recreation provides programs such as weight room, fitness room, seven multi-purpose courts (basketball, volleyball, badminton) multi-purpose rooms (aerobics, martial arts, wrestling) 10 indoor racqueball courts, 17 outdoor tennis courts, club sport field, intramural sports field. There is a low crime rate because Auburn is a small-town. Campus supports security measures with closed circuit surveillance system, nightitme police escourts, and nightly tiger transit security shuttle. In emergency students are alerted using phones, email, text messaging. With ID student have unlimited access to the transit system. There are 18 lines which run throughout town and campus. Student are allowed cars but are assigned to a limited parking zone.

I transferred in so I just applied using common application for transfer.

2004 or earlier

The academics at Auburn University are excellent. There are a wide variety of courses that provide unique opportunities to students. Professors are very accessible. The university also encourages all students to study abroad.

I definitely recommend living on campus for at least a year to make connections and friendships. It is also extremely convenient. The cost is similar to other schools. The library is large and has many resources for students. On campus dining also has many good options from Chick-fil-a to Au Bon Pain and Papa Johns. The community is extremely involved in the university. I love the community and the university. I feel completely safe on campus. I could not be happier with my experience at Auburn.

The application process was the most efficient and easy to use of all the schools I applied to. They provide excellent scholarships that don't require a separate application. If you meet the academic qualifications you automatically receive the scholarship.

Very competitive program, however there is a lot of group and collaborative work. Professors are very available, all have open door policies. Class sizes are small enough to make a large university feel more like a family or smaller school atmosphere. If you put time into getting to know your professors, then they will put time into getting to know you and maximize your experience as a student.

Excellent financial aid and scholarship opportunities. The application process is no different than the other colleges on Auburn's campus, however the standards are set slightly higher since the program is very challenging.