“Good place”
July 2018FORMER STUDENT

People are very friendly and open. Academic track can be very flexible. Lots of resources.

Professors/instructors could care a little more. More interested in research than teaching.

Comments

Consider the size of the classes and the degree you want to seek. Get something useful!

“Arizona State”
December 2015CURRENT STUDENT

A large school with a plethora of ethnic variety, a rapidly rising reputation and countless alumni for networking opportunities.

The school has a reputation of being a party school, because of it the general public may not think highly of the school's name.

Comments

If you are coming to party, consider looking elsewhere as the school is taking great measures to control the party scene. If you are coming for an education, look no further as ASU is truly a place where you get out what you put in. The opportunities can be endless.

“Gets You Where You Need To Go”
October 2015FORMER STUDENT

Large selection of classes, very large integration of online classes, relatively inexpensive tuition. Lots of clubs and a large variety of opportunities. Social life is obviously abundant. Relative location to Phoenix allows for lots of opportunities for internships and jobs while in school. Relatively good location to travel from. Very active attempts to promote integration into programs and extensive advising for freshman. ASU also has a relatively simple class registration system and it's easy to get information about graduation requirements.

Size is also a downside to some regards, quality and dependability of fellow students' contributions can be a downside in certain class setting. Hasn't integrated the usage of student ID cards well and their dependence on integrating with a particular bank only made that harder, my graduate institution and those of others I've spoken to is much more intuitive. Financial aid and student assistance is poorly communicated - they don't typically make students aware that if they or their parent is rejected for a PLUS loan, they can access the full Stafford amount, which is actually a big deal given the COA. Also don't provide (or at least didn't provide) other assistance like short-term emergency loans, book loans, etc. which I've seen at other institutions. Prestige just generally isn't that high academically, definitely carries a "party school" reputation.

Comments

I've come to think more and more that while a bachelor's degree is necessary, a post-secondary degree is generally even more and more necessary. In that regard, I think ASU is a GREAT school to attend for undergrad. There's a variety of opportunities and experiences available and it's generally a great place to go have fun when you're 18-22, and with a decent amount of work, emerge with a solid enough GPA to get to grad school. That being said, for some very specific programs/careers, prestige may matter, and that is where ASU does lag.

Always something to do.

Application process, scholarship opportunities must usually be applied for separately.

Quality of life at my school is great. I love living in the downtown community because it really does feel like a home away from home. Everything is there when you need it and so easy to get to.

Admission process to my college is pretty rigorous. After completing the priority classes, one must apply to the Nursing School and take the MCATS.

In terms of ASU as a whole, I would say that the academic aspect is good. You get out of classes what you put in. If you don't really try, you might squeak by with a low C, but you will forget all of it as soon as the class is over -which is essentially pointless and a waste of resources.

For Barrett, The Honors College there is a moderate-considerably higher requirement of academic effort and quality. The honors classes tend to be more vigorous as well as inspiring. You are able to learn on a more interconnected interdisciplinary level than most other undergraduate classes provide. If taking a non-honors class, you can make it an honors class by making a contract with the professor to do some extra task (report, project etc) in addition to all other normal class requirements, where upon adequate completion one receives honors credit. Furthermore, before graduating from the Barrett each undergraduate student must either write an honors thesis or present a creative project that takes up a considerable amount of time and effort. If this is not approved and completed, the student doesn't receive credit.

It is adequate. There are much worse and much better. The experience is what you make it.

For ASU general admission was not difficult at all and I think most people could likely get in as long as they have graduated high school and have adequate reading and writing abilities.

For Barrett, The Honors College, it was fairly difficult to gain admission. I actually had to apply twice, and was accepted on the second try. They pick people who are more dedicated to school and learning than the average ASU student. Additionally, I would say that the typical Barrett student has a higher overall reading and writing comprehension and competency than the general student body. That is not to say other people aren't capable and intelligent too, but they are essentially in higher concentrations in Barrett than are found in many aspects of the rest of the school.

The professors are incredible. They have a clear passion for what they are teaching and researching. Not one lecture is boring. Not only that, but they hold office hours through out the week so if any student had a question, you could meet with them after class. Class size was never really an issue. I expected to have classes over 100 students but what I was surprised about was that most of my classes had 50 students or less in them. It amazed me. I think what makes this university great besides its academics is the opportunities for internships, jobs and campus clubs to join.

Residence Halls are expensive but my scholarship helped pay for most of it. It was a great experience. Everything was so convienient, the library, dining hall, rec center! I was never unhappy with the resources here.

It was very simple, it just asked for your basic information, choice of academic program and it required to have your scores and transcripts sent to the university.

The Polytechnic campus is a pretty intimate campus. Most classes are about 20-30 kids tops which is cool because then the professor is available to talk to you after class. Also, you can see the professors around campus, mingling with other students or staff. For this reason, it's easier to get along with the students and gives you more opportunities to do independent study programs with teachers.

Everything is clean and new. Most of the Polytechnic campus is actually recyled from the old Williamsfield air force base so it just has a nice feel to it of being 'green' and giving back.

For ASU, you just apply and you are either accepted or denied. For Barrett, the honors college at ASU, you must apply, submit two letters of recommendation from two adults in your life and submit an additional essay about why you should be choosen.

Classes are competitive for those that choose to excell. My workload is moderate to heavy b/c I take 16-22 hours a semester. My major requirement classes are varied and there are many interesting courses to choose from. There are plenty of well known professors and opportunities available to students.

The cost of living is varied as it depends on one's income, resources, and standards. I live in a modest townhouse with a couple friends, rent is reasonable, I am in a safe, convenient location, and I am very happy and content with my situation. On campus, there are many resources offered to students, our library system is awesome, we have a safety escort system, and I generally feel safe.

The application process was fairly simple and easy to figure out. ASU staggers its deadlines which made things less stressful. I took advantage of the early action application process and found out by the end of my first semester, senior year of high school that I was admitted.