Strong theory first year; strong practical experience second and third years

Good; the low-level neighborhood is offset by all the courts and government offices adjacent to the school, and the City of San Francisco

Form and essays

2004 or earlier

tldr

Urban campus, some housing in the MacAllister Tower but many students live elsewhere in SF/Bay area.

I was admitted through the LEOP program. This gives students from underrepresented backgrounds but lower grades or lsat scores to attend law school. I have enjoyed the program and it has helped me become the top 30% of my class.

there are some excellent professors here, most of whom are quite friendly and accessible; class sizes are a little large; the atmosphere is competitive on by virtue of the fact that classes are graded on a curve and there are a large number of very smart and dedicated students here

an attraction of this school is that it offers relatively reasonably priced and quality housing right on campus; the neighborhood is not the best, but there's ample security, and the housing is a block away from where classes are help and a few blocks away from downtown and other nice neighborhoods; the neighborhood is safe during the day

fairly standard application; limited scholarship opportunities

Classes of ~75 typically use socratic method. Workload is heavy but manageable. Lots of opportunities for gaining practical experience and good network of employers.

Facilities are adequate, but there are lots of great students and student orgs. It's been really easy to make friends and has been a wonderful experience so far.

Essays, LSAT, Grades, etc. are required. Many need-based financial aid and scholarship programs available.

Everything I need except a grocery store!

Hastings has a great mix of practical skills courses and more theoretical courses. The practical skills courses such as Negotiations, Mediation, Trial Advocacy, and Appellate Advocacy, are taught by great professors with real-word skills.

The curve is competitive but students are friendly and form great study groups.

Hastings offers lots of research opportunities with professors, and judicial externships with judges at the state and federal courts.

Our campus is surrounded by all of the courts- the CA state courts, and the 9th Circuit which offers lots of opportunities to get judicial externships, and makes it easy to get to and from work and class. We are in the middle of SF, so the environment is urban and we have all of the advantages of being in a big city. Public transportation is great, so it is easy to get around the city. It is also easy to get to downtown SF, where all of the big law firms are, and a lot of students work downtown part time.

There are so many excellent teachers here, but a few duds as well--but that's anywhere I suppose! Hazzard is a "must take", along with Hadar Aviram, Dorit Reiss, Evan Lee, Clark Freshman, George Bisharat, Richard Boswell, Lisa Faigman and Kate Boch!

So many excellent events, convenient to EVERYWHERE in the city! UN Plaza farmer's market twice a week, Costco, WholeFoods and Trader Joe's all within a mile from campus. The Tenderloin is known as a "bad" area but crime rarely affects student life (drunk students walking home late from a bar get purse or cell phone snatched--could happen anywhere in the city and they should have called Campus Safety of a cab for a pickup!!!!)

Easy process, Hastings really looks for diverse and accomplished backgrounds, life experience is valued here!

There is a mix of classroom environments. Overall, I think the diversity is good, but I prefer for it to be more hands-on / practical study.

I especially enjoyed and benefited from the LEOP program as it provided academic and social support during my first year of law school. The LEOP program was instrumental in helping me navigate the challenges that I encountered as a first-generation college and graduate student.

Cost of living is expensive in our city. The facilities are adequate. There is need for more extensive community relations.

essay, LSAT, LSAC/LSDAS, financial aid and scholarship opportunities; LEOP. I benefited from the LEOP admissions process because it took into consideration the challenges I had to overcome.