The level of difficulty varies from professor to professor. Some are more practice oriented and less theory and visa versa. I don't feel any one of them was totally theory and all regularly use real life application examples, and most use Texas specific examples. Like any school, the quality of professors varies with older ones who should retire and make room for younger, more enthusiastic profs and others who I would have enjoyed having every single semester.

The classes are all of very high quality. They're extremely practical, using theory only as a teaching device. The Socratic method, while initially daunting produces good results in STCL students. We have advisers who advise a group of less than 10 students. Though class sizes are somewhat large, I also came from a undergraduate school where 30 was a large class. The atmosphere is very community-oriented, and usually competitive horror stories (like taking essential books etc.) would never be tolerated. Grading is very tough, and no one will accuse STCL of grade inflation. You work, you make the grade, there are no falsely inflated GPAs here. Professor Gerald Treece, a great legal personality in Houston, teaches 1L courses as well as the nationally 3rd-ranked advocacy programs and is a dynamic and engaging educator, even the newer professors fit right in.

Cost of living is cheap. Campus, though not fancy, is very functional. We have excellent facility, and a library that is superior to all others in the city. Computer labs are abundant, and the moot courtroom is wonderfully appointed. The dining and neighborhood were excellent. It is also very safe.

I spoke with a admissions counselor both when he came to my school as well as during a campus visit before I made my final decision. Their LSDAS system was very simple, much easier than others, such as Texas Tech. I received some financial aid, and the raise in tuition for my 2L year was much lower than what I experienced in undergraduate and was in response to the current recession.

Quality of classes is very good. The professors strike a great balance between theory and practical study. The Socratic method is alive and well. The curve is lower than most schools. The faculty is excellent and the study abroad programs are plentiful and worthwhile.

Library is great. Advocacy Program is great. Food is bad.

Personal Statement

The professors are engaging and many are dynamic. They expect diligence but provide a thorough, demanding and rewarding legal education. The staff work very hard to provide networking and prospective employment contacts. The advocacy program is first-rate and recognized at #3 in the nation. The school is located in downtown Houston, Texas and provides access to exciting downtown life as well as an impressive array of employment opportunties. Every major legal employer is located here. I've been told by several employers that the caliber of the graduates is first-rate, and I feel very fortunate to be getting my JD from this institution.

The faculty and staff are amazing, but the facilties (excepting the Courtroom) are pretty dismal. The library is okay. I realize it cannot compare to the library at UT-Austin, and is certainly better than that which is provided at St. Mary's in San Antonio. However, the copiers and printers are almost always broken, or jam. It is very frustrating. The staplers provided for the students are usually lacking staples, and most of the tools just don't work or don't work well. It doesn't seem to be anybody's job to ensure these items are working. I've been in the computer lab and printed documents, only to find toner was out and the documents unreadable. I've also been working and discovered no one working and the printers are out of paper. When student workers are on duty, they are either unwilling or unable to provide any assistance. It introduces unnecessary stress into an already very stressful experience. I've learned to carry my own stapler, paper cbut there is little answer for when the printers/copiers don't work. Also, though the technology department touts that you can send print jobs directly from your laptop, I've never gotten that to work. Student workers, as well as technology department staff members have worked on it. It will print a test job, but when I attempt to send one of my own documents, I receive a spooler failure or it simply never shows up at the release station. I've given up on that 'feature.'

Additionally, the school is not open 24 hours. We are currently less than two weeks from our first exam, and the library may have just extended hours to 2a.m., though I haven't confirmed this. (They were closing at regular hours last week, which is 10p.m.) This causes me hardship because I do not have any options where I live. I've had to scope out alternate locations which remain open, and found one. (Starbucks at Post Oak seems to be the only such location!)

Additionally, though the Financial Aid staff are wonderful, the school doesn't have the capability to direct deposit disbursements. My bank has only one location in San Antonio and though it has an application where I can deposit online (with use of a local scanner, which is also not available at STCL computer lab), they don't accept deposits larger than $2500 with that application. I have to mail those checks and am delayed another week before I have access to those funds.

The courtroom, however, along with the advocacy program is first-rate. I can walk in there, breathe deeply and remember why I am putting myself through all this misery! :) And, I love downtown Houston near our school. There are some great places to eat, drink, and shop. It's great!

Teachers do an excellent job incorporating the Socratic Method. Class sections are small enough that you can easily get to know other students in your section. Classes are highly competitive.

The academics are challenging. The school offers a variety of programs, but the focus is definitely on the advocacy program. Most students here are part of it in some capacity. It takes some searching to find the other programs. There are good opportunities for study abroad as well as a transactional law certification program. I have enjoyed most of the professors I have had up to this point.

From what I could tell it was mostly based on LSAT and undergrad GPA.

Socratic method is heavily used. Student recitation is stressed. First year student recitation is stressful, but not too difficult to do. Workload is easily manageable for most. Legal Reading and Writing (LRW) courses are mandatory. Faculty is outstanding. Study abroad opportunities abound. Class size is approx 90 students for first-year classes, 60 for 2L and 3L courses. Advocacy is among the best in the nation.

Take LSAT, write personal statement, fill out application.

We have a wide variety of classes available at South Texas. The professors are excellent and bring with them a lot of practical real-world experience from their legal work prior to becoming professors. In addition, South Texas has excellent law journals, especially the South Texas Law Review, and a nationally renowned advocacy program. South Texas is part of a consortium of schools (with California Western, William Mitchell, and New England School of Law) which provides excellent stud abroad opportunities in places like Santiago, Chile, Malta, Italy, Ireland, and England.

The cost of living in Houston is comparable to other major metropolitan areas, and is likely less than areas like Dallas, Austin, etc.

The admissions process is pretty average as far as there not being anything too unique or different from other law schools' applications.

First year classes are pretty big, ie: 70 students per section. I've never had to stand to recite in a class before, which I was a little surprised about at first. Some of the more practical classes that I feel should have been taught in a more rule-based way (ie: crim law, contracts) were taught in a more theoretical way. Almost every class does random recitation, and if it's not random, it's usually in alpha/seat order.

I don't really remember what the application essay was about, but an LSAT score was required. I had to apply to law school via the LSAC website, which was pretty convenient because all the information about the application process was located in one place. South Texas is a private law school, so they have a high cost of attendance, which means they offer plenty of financial aid to cover your living expenses if you don't work during law school. I'm also always getting emails about new scholarships that are available for students, but I myself have never applied for one.

First year courses are almost all taught with the Socratic method and are mostly random recitation--forcing you to read and be ready for class, which is a good thing and establishes good habits. After that you get a mix of classes done with Socratic method and assigned recitation or purely voluntary recitation. The difficulty of the exams stays consistent across the years, most classes are curved, and the skills classes are time consuming, challenging, but very valuable.