The faculty has continued to improve over the last few years, and the quality of the instruction is top notch. I always appreciated the fact that while the faculty members were significant scholars, they also really cared about teaching and enjoyed interacting with students. There are some very interesting summer abroad programs. The class sizes were very manageable.

I think the quality of life at the school is excellent. There are now two great options as far as where to attend school -- Carlisle, PA or State College. Both offer great options. I lived in Carlisle and loved it. It is a great community, a small college town in Central PA where everyone is friendly. It is an awesome environment for law school. You can get really nice apartments / houses for extremely low prices, all within walking distance of the school (normally within 3 or 4 blocks).

The application process is fairly standard, nothing too out of the ordinary. The school has become much more selective since the time I applied as it has vaulted significantly up the rankings.

2007

Quality of classes varies, selection is not always ideal, Socratic method is sporadic, academic advising is minimal, class sizes vary, it is not cut-throat competitive but it is still law school, lots of opportunities to do research, grading varies, faculty is great

Cost of living is very low, facilities are new but could be better, library is fine, housing is plentiful, dining is adequate, downtown is awesome if you like to drink and party, very safe town, has basically everything you need.

My first year courses were high quality and heavy on the Socratic method. Penn State offers both theory classes and practical opportunities through moot courts, clinics, and advocacy classes. My advisor was always willing to spend as much time as I needed to sort through things. Class sizes were ideal, not too big, and research opportunities were available to students willing to seek them out. Grading was fair, faculty was strong, and every summer study abroad programs were offered, one in particular which always featured a U.S. Supreme Court Justice as a professor. The workload was challenging but manageable.

Penn State's University Park Campus is in State College, PA, so the cost of living is very reasonable and the community is both safe and entertaining. The school has brand new, state-of-the-art buildings in both State College and Carlisle, so students attending Penn State Law will have the best in library facilities, computer labs, moot courtrooms, and general facilities. Housing is available and reasonable. The communities are very welcoming and supportive of the law school community. State College, PA is called Happy Valley, so I would say that it rates highly in overall happiness. Additionally, for better or worse, the law students have fully embraced the Penn State football team and have a great time during the fall with tailgating and cheering the Nittany Lions and Joe Paterno on.

Penn State requires a personal essay, describing why you want to attend law school. The LSAT scores have risen in recent years and they provide competitive scholarship opportunities based upon merit and, I would presume, need. Their admissions office did a great job directing me through the admissions process and answered every question, spent all the time necessary, etc. I had a very positive experience. Elena DeLuca in particular is a great contact.

2009