“Local Intern Given Meaningful Work, Not Relegated to Data Entry or Trivial Tasks”
Omaha, NE2018VERIFIED INTERN

I was able to do a lot of independent work and hone my application development skills in new and exciting ways. I also had access to technology that was prohibitively expensive to procure on my own, which was a massive plus! Union Pacific's technology departments are not afraid to try new things and fail. We're very ambitious here.

I think this is more of an IT gripe than anything else. I'm a very social person and I enjoy interacting with my team. However, that opinion is not held by the majority of people who work here.

Don't be afraid to ask questions or make a mistake. That is exactly what this internship is for. You're going to get a lot of opportunities to work with technologies and business practices that are totally outside the realm of anything you've done before. Don't get overwhelmed! Your managers expect you to be inexperienced and are here to provide guidance and leadership.

Advice to Management

I think the intern orientation could be a little more thorough. There was so much about company policy and culture I was not aware of until I got well into it. I especially think individual departments should provide intern orientations.