Thrivent IT Internship Program logo

Thrivent IT Internship Program
Thrivent

“Summer of learning at Thrivent”
Minneapolis, MN2019VERIFIED INTERN

My mentor was fantastic, but my whole team provided communal mentorship.

My manager made time to check in with me individually.

The company had multiple intern events and opportunities to meet leadership, and interns took it upon themselves to organize events and dinners for themselves.

If I was stuck or waiting on something and my mentor was working on something else (more important, with a coworker), they'd give me a brief overview of what they were working on and let me "shadow" them for a bit so I could see other, higher-level projects in progress.

The office cube walls are very high and grey, and there's not a lot of natural light (but that is changing with the new building being constructed).

Your average IT/software development intern at Thrivent probably won't be doing cutting-edge development, but the experience you get is solid and widely useful.

Advice to Management

Keep supporting interns the way you do - you seem to have struck a good middle position of being supportive and receptive but not overbearing.