Go to Why Intern Here page
Hanson Student Internship Program logo

Hanson Student Internship Program

“Trusting Tomorrow's Engineers with Today's Roads”
Jacksonville, FL2019VERIFIED INTERN

The employees for this company are hands down the best part. They are always super helpful, love when you ask questions, and are always looking to help you understand the task at hand rather than just throwing it at you to complete. The schedule freedom is also a wonderful perk. As long as you're up front about when you can and can't come in to the office, they are always understanding.

Frequently, there can be down time where there's not a lot of work coming into the office, or at least not stuff that interns can really handle. This doesn't sound like much of an issue until your supervisors want you to charge more time to billable projects, but you have nothing billable to work on. Also, not having work to do can make the day drag on very slowly.

Expect to be pushed. Expect to be handed things you don't understand. Expect that you are going to have questions about it, and that's okay. That's what you're here for, to gain valuable real-life experience. If you knew everything already, you'd be working there full-time instead of going to school.

Advice to Management

I think that, at least in my office, interns weren't necessarily assigned the best supervisors to support their needs. For example, being assigned a supervisor that travels often, is difficult to reach/communicate with, or isn't involved in a lot of the work being fed to interns can cause difficulties in the internship. I'd also like to see more networking, fun type of events for the staff. They are done here and there, but maybe a set once-a-month thing would be nice to promote collaboration and teamwork.