“Constant Learning and Growth”
Minneapolis, MN2017VERIFIED INTERN

The help and support that I receive on a day to day basis is incredible. I am always treated with respect and professionalism. Everyone is excited that I am here, and all the interns are encouraged to have informational interviews with other employees. I have had the opportunity to attend many tours and events specifically for the interns, which has helped me to learn more about Xcel Energy. I sit in my own cubical amongst all the other employees, with a phone, laptop, and 2 monitors for my desktop. My supervisor is flexible and a great leader. He gives me work to do, but lets me have space to do it and learn on my own. I typically work from 8-4:30, but have the option to move that around- for example, I can come in at 8:30 and leave at 5:00. I enjoy being in Minneapolis as well. There is so much going on, so it is fun to walk around on my lunch break and see the other busy people in the skyways. I feel like the work I am doing matters. Overall, this is a great experience for my first internship. I also get paid time off and intern benefits (like retirement). How much I am paid and given shows how much Xcel Energy cares about their interns!

My job requires that I sit at a desk looking at a computer most days, which can be very tiring. I sometimes find it difficult to be motivated and energetic, because I become tired and move slowly. It is also very quiet, which is good for focusing but hard sometimes to be creative.

Make sure you learn about the culture of the organization. Look at what a typical day is for an employee. It is important to understand what type of work environment fits your needs the best and what will help you to be successful. Be open minded and a sponge for information. I have found that employers like a person that is excited about learning, and they want someone that will bring a new perspective to their work. I did not know anything about eLearning or design before I started, but they chose to hire me anyway. When organizations are looking for interns, they do not expect you to know everything.

Advice to Management

The only thing that I can think of is more in person training in the beginning!

Uppers Downers Advice to Potential Interns Advice to Management Sample Interview Questions Would You Recommend