Plante Moran Internship logo

1,021 Ratings

1,021 Intern Reviews
“Great learning experience!”
Chicago, IL2019VERIFIED INTERN

Definitely the flexibility and the fact that I had the ability to do what I wanted with the internship. I also loved being treated as a normal staff instead of a lowly intern. I never made a single copy or made a coffee run. I learned a lot and met a lot of great people. All the staff seemed eager to share everything they knew with me which I loved.

Probably that it was just slow. It's not like it's the fault of the firm, though, it's just the nature of the industry and the fact that summer is a slower period of time in accounting (especially assurance services). The firm does a pretty good job of trying to get everyone scheduled and give the interns a structured project to work on so that they have something to do during a slow period. They're very understanding that it's slow and as long as you're trying to find work they don't mind if you have literally nothing to do. Like, you can sit there and watch training videos as a last resort. Just do your best to find work and everyone will be happy.

I wish I had known how slow the summers were. It was fine for the most part but there were several long days when I struggled to find work to do. My advice is to get in early and force yourself to get comfortable introducing yourself to people in order to find work. Your network is your best asset. Also, don't be afraid to ask questions, but also take time to figure stuff out on your own. Most interns just immediately ask questions when they don't understand something, but managers and in-charges appreciate when you take the time to try and teach yourself. Google is a good friend. Don't worry about not knowing enough or not being smart enough; Plante Moran doesn't expect you to know anything. They just expect you to come ready to learn. So be open-minded, don't worry about making mistakes, and expect to learn a lot!

Advice to Management

Honestly, there isn't much, as they already do a fantastic job. One thing I wish I knew as an intern was that I could schedule my own manager shadow days instead of waiting for someone to schedule them for me. If you reach out to staff, they're more than happy to work with you. I didn't know that I could schedule my own shadows until the very end of the internship and I wish someone had told me this sooner.