Navigant Consulting, Inc. Summer Associate Program logo

Navigant Consulting, Inc. Summer Associate Program
Navigant Consulting, Inc.

“A position that provides the opportunity to learn every healthcare payment system from the brightest minds in the field”
Chicago, IL2013VERIFIED INTERN

I learned more than I ever have. I am in school for healthcare management and the Affordable Care Act is obviously a big part of the cirriculum. It is one thing to learn about reimbursements and payment strategies in a book and quite another to work on real life cases. I got to work a wide variety of projects that covered nearly every reimbursement scenario in the market today. I can't imgaine any of my colleagues had an internship that provided them this unique opportunity. That is what is amazing about consulting - every project can be something new and different. What sets Navigant apart is that our healthcare department is not insular. The state payer people don't only work with state payer people. I was part of the private payer group, but since there is so much collaboration and overlap between groups, I got to work on state projects as well. I haven't run into other consulting firms that have this great of a group dynamic and whose teams are so free-flowing. The collaboration at Navigant was a great part of the internship. Add to that the 2-day retreat for Payer Transformation and I really saw how much everyone genuinely likes working with (not against) each other. There is no competition for clients, everyone helps each other with their work. I also loved how they treated their interns. I was not treated like an intern actually. I was given difficult work and learned a lot because of it. additionally, every Wednesday HR put together an intern lunch where different divisions of the firm would come talk to us about what they did. So even though I worked in healthcare specifically, i got to see what energy, construction, disputes & investigations, etc. were working on. It was great to learn about the company as a whole, allowing me to see how stong other departments were as well. Plus the firm took us to a Cubs rooftop!

A few times I was given the task of doing research on the internet. It was only for about a day or two total, but I would prefer to be working on project work. I guess it is natural for everyone to have to do this type of work thoguh, and is not necessarily reflective of the internship.

Recognize that this field of work keeps you busy! But the knowledge you gain is invaluable and the perks are great:)

Advice to Management

Recruit a bit better - it was difficult for me to figure out how to go about applying for an internship. They could formalize application process a bit more.