“Intro to Strategy Consulting... Fluffed with Wonderful Social Activities”
Cambridge, MA2012VERIFIED INTERN

The experience was incredible. My project allowed me to truly integrate into a case team, and my input and work were significant in the team's deliverables at the end of the project. This made the experience rich, rewarding, challenging, and representative of the full-time position. I was able to see what working at Monitor would really be like, and that is one of the main takeaways you want to have after an internship: an idea of whether or not you want to work for that company full-time.

The social aspect of the internship was also hugely defining of the experience. We had really fun events, like trapeze, rock climbing, painting, sailing, barbecues, and more. At a firm that so values its great culture, this was really important. Getting to meet people all across the firm was really benefical for me, and only solidified my belief that Monitor's people are simply the best there are.

Because of how short the internship is, it was difficult to get a full understanding of my team's workstream's impact on the overall client project. However, I was able to arrange a call after the internship, once the project was over, to get an update on how the project ended. That was really helpful!

The hours were also longer than I would have liked, but after all, it is consulting. And it got me to realize that there really is a difference between liking the work enough to do it 9-5 and liking the work enough to be doing 60-70-80 hours a week. I appreciate that I got to realize this now, and not after I went blindly into a full-time position.

Well...given the recent acquisition of Monitor by Deloitte, I'd say you have to be even more comfortable with ambiguity than a typical consultant (and typical consultants need to be comfortable with ambiguity given the nature of the work!). Things will be changing and coming together and not everything is set in stone just yet. But the plans will unfold. I guess it is just a matter of whether or not you are comfortable joining a firm that has recently gone through a merger. It's not for everyone.

I don't think too much else of my experience is relevant, as I worked for Monitor, and Monitor no longer exists. I don't know what the new Monitor Deloitte thing will look like.

Advice to Management

I know some of my fellow interns felt underutilized. We chose to intern at Monitor because we wanted to be challenged. And for such intellectually curious and motivated people, it is just truly frustrating to feel underutilized. So maybe put in place a more rigorous selection process for cases to receive interns?