Softheon Summer Internship logo

Softheon Summer Internship

“Summer Internship”
Stony Brook, NYApril 2018FORMER INTERN

Intern group project was easily one of my favorite parts. It was great being in charge of your own project, working with other interns, and having something else to do when you felt burnt out from your usual work.

Everyone that you work with really takes time to help you if you need it. I never had trouble finding someone to guide me along the way or to help walk me through a problem. I really felt like I could learn a lot from everyone.

I always felt like my work here was appreciated. I always received feedback on everything that I did and nothing was treated as "just an intern project."

Change is generally pretty fast. If things aren't working out (in terms of teams or applications), you can generally expect something to be done about it quickly.

A TON of swag, free food, amazing HR staff.

It's hard to know who does what and where, especially when things change and people move around. Of course, CEWIT is limited in the location and number of rooms, but for a company that is relatively small, it can sometimes feel like some teams are isolated from everyone else.

Working with old code with technology never feels good. It feels worse when you're working with old technology while everyone else is shifting to newer frameworks and libraries. There are a few of applications that look and feel outdated, but someone has to maintain it until a newer or better version comes out.

Waiting for responses has probably been the most frustrating part of my experience. I've had tasks assigned to me that have been pushed back multiple sprints because I was simply not able to get a response back in time, either from another employee or from a client.

Having more robust code tests would have a lot of headaches afterwards. It's too easy to push breaking changes that have not been tested enough.

This was my first internship experience and I did not regret it a bit. It was the best introduction I could have had to a small tech-y company. Don't be turned off just because it's in healthcare and you don't have an interest in healthcare.

I did not need any previous experience, just solid foundations in CS and development.

The upside of working in a small company is that even as an intern, you can probably make a big difference in how things work or how things will turn out if you speak up.

I can only speak as a software development intern, but you will definitely learn a lot here. Languages and frameworks will be new, but familiar. I feel that I've actually used everything that I learned as an intern in my classes. Class projects and future internships are a lot easier once you know good coding practices and workflows, which Softheon is a great place to start with.

Uppers Downers Advice to Potential Interns Advice to Management Sample Interview Questions Would You Recommend