RBC Capital Markets Summer Analyst/Associate Program logo

RBC Capital Markets Summer Analyst/Associate Program
RBC Capital Markets

“Exciting window into the financing of corporate America”
New York, NY2017VERIFIED INTERN

Getting an assignment with a quick turn around time that required all hands on deck and the opportunity to work one on one with a senior banker. There was immediate feedback and getting to see my work in action quickly and have it be successful for the client and the firm was extremely rewarding.

I think moving forward there could be better clarity in midsummer review sessions. While it is rewarding to get positive feedback, it would have been more helpful to have points of improvement listed out so I could take decisive action.

Pay the utmost care to the tiny details because they all contribute to the overall goal of giving the client the most reliable information for their financial position. Aim to be the person that supports the team and catches the little things that sometimes get overlooked like font size/footnotes -- the client notices and you never want your team to say "we should have caught that"--even if it means comment on someone else's work.

Advice to Management

Personally, I wish I had the opportunity to attend RWomen, Rfuture, etc. events to connect more with everyone at the bank and meet potential mentors. I always felt like to go would be an inconvenience for my team in case they needed anything done, and I wish that a member of the team had offered to come with us to the events to show that its okay to leave the desk and get more involved in the overall bank culture, or potentially encouraged us to go on our own. I feel like I missed an opportunity to connect with people/groups that I would otherwise never meet.