Barclays Investment Bank (Americas) Functions and Technology Summer Analyst and Associate Programs logo

Barclays Investment Bank (Americas)

“The Best Summer I Have Ever Had”
New York, NY2017VERIFIED INTERN

The fact that this internship was rotational was great because it gave us Finance interns much more exposure to the company as well as the different positions offered here. I also loved having both a Junior and Senior Mentor to help us along the way. The networking events and the RISE challenge we had were greatly planned and were great ways to network with people. I also loved the fact that we were encouraged to go to all the other events not planned by HR and especially network with Directors who we usually would be intimited to approach. I throughly enjoyed the Finance Speaker Series talks we had because they set up in an initimate setting with very senior people, which allowed us interns to feel much more comfortable speaking our mind, asking questions, and leave an impression on people with a powerful influence within the firm. Lastly, I loved the corporate culture that Barclays has set up. The people here are extremely collaborative, supportive, and genuinely willing to help which helped shape my experience over these last 10 weeks.

There really was nothing I did not love, except the fact that the cafeteria closed down halfway through the summer.

My advice to a potential candidate would be to cherish every single moment you have with your fellow peers. I have formed and fostered some lifelong relationships in just a small matter of time, so it would be to network not only within the company but with your peers as much as you can. Also, another small piece of advice is that you will doubt your skillset and your intelligence, but that is okay! We are all here to learn and hone our skills, so be curious, don't be afraid to ask questions even if you think they aren't great, be yourself, and have fun!

Advice to Management

I think one thing management could work on is to match your major to your first rotation or maybe allow us to give a preference as to what area we would like to be in. Although I understand it is important to allow us to learn about as much as we can and gain exposure to different desks and businesses, a lot of interns were placed in fields they had zero prior knowledge about. So, maybe instead of the first rotation being a random selection, allow us to express a preference or match what we are studying in school to what our rotations will be.