U.S. Cellular is the fifth-largest full-service wireless carrier in the United States, providing national network coverage and industry-leading innovations designed to elevate the customer experience. The Chicago-based carrier offers coverage where the other carriers don’t and a wide range of communication services that enhance consumers’ lives, increase the competitiveness of local businesses and improve the efficiency of
government operations. U.S. Cellular has the Highest Wireless Network Quality Performance in the North Central Region, according to J.D. Power, and 99 percent of customers have access to 4G LTE speeds.
U.S. Cellular’s Internship Program operates, across its enterprise footprint for a 10-week summer program, under the primary premises:
• To invite diversity and innovation into the organization through the fresh perspective and energy of its student interns.
• To create awareness that U.S. Cellular has been deemed an employer of choice and is a potential destination employer for early career talent.
• To provide experiential learning to each intern to bolster their individual courses of academic studies in preparation for specialized careers upon graduation.
The company prides itself on attracting the highest caliber of intern by offering:
• Competitive pay based upon the level of education completed. Hourly rates range between $19.00 (undergraduate) to $32.00 (2nd year Masters) per hour.
• Top Intern Contributor Scholarship recognizes superior contributions to the team, quantifiable results, individual initiative and personal development. Award winners receive a scholarship to assist with college expenses.
• Full integration into the company’s corporate culture, the Dynamic Organization, including a networking and learning event with peers, executives, and leaders in the Chicago headquarters location.
• Real-world, professional career experience where team input and participation is essential. U.S. Cellular is an energetic and challenging work environment where individual development is paramount to drive superior results not only for the organization but the individual intern
U.S. Cellular strategically partners with select colleges/universities nationally as well as focusing on schools that are:
• Geographically located within its footprint so students don’t need to travel far to stay close to home or school.
• Offering majors in disciplines that are a match for both students and its business needs.
• Inclusive; attracting students as diverse as the communities it serves.
The company remains engaged at many universities across its footprint that offer programs in disciplines that meet its organizational needs for education in Accounting/Finance, Engineering, HR, I.T., Marketing, Operations, Sales and Supply Chain like:
• DePaul University
• Illinois Institute of Technology (IIT)
• University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC)
• University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
• Iowa State University
• University of Iowa
• Indiana University
• University of Michigan
• University of Tennessee - Knoxville
• University of Wisconsin - Madison
U.S. Cellular® Intern Program Advantages
At U.S. Cellular, a key objective is to provide a world-class experience for our customers. This requires the very best of the best talent in every area of our Dynamic Organization - people who understand and embrace our passion for success and individuals who are self-motivated to learn, grow, and excel in exciting new roles.
U.S. Cellular offers a large variety of internships annual across our footprint and in virtually all major departmental disciplines:
- Human Resources
- IS/Information Systems
Posted requisitions detail the respective educational requirement (undergraduate or graduate) along with the corresponding discipline of study. U.S. Cellular requires interns to be currently enrolled (minimallycompleting their sophomore year at the time of applying) through graduate study. We do consider/hire intern candidates who have graduated within six months of the internship term .
The U.S. Cellular internship requires a full-time (40 hours per week) commitment for the full 10 week summer program. Extensions beyond the normal 10-weeks are determined on a case-by-case basis depending on departmental need as well as the availability of the intern.
In addition to those individuals demonstrating strong skill sets and a professional demeanor, our organization looks for those who can:
- Thrive in an environment of cross-functional collaboration.
- Rise to the challenge and apply unique perspectives to a rapidly-evolving, technology-driven industry.
- Appreciate the value of diverse perspectives and work toward a common goal.
- Desire to learn and grow in a real-work setting, on a seasoned team.
Patricia Gonzalez Macias, Talent Attraction Programs Manager
Number of Interns: 21 to 50
Duration: 6 to 12 weeks; June through mid-August
Academic Level: College Sophomores, College Juniors, College Seniors, Recent College Graduates, Graduate Students, Business School Students