Mercer’s investment consultants help clients analyze the investment alternatives and performance of their retirement, 401(k), and other institutional and related funds. Our recommendations are supported by approximately 1,000 full-time consultants advising over 2,700 clients with assets in excess of US$4.0 trillion globally.
For more than 30 years, Mercer Investment Consulting has provided the highest quality of investment advice and practical solutions to corporations, foundations, trustees and endowments on a global basis. We assist with every aspect of institutional investing including the
• Establishment of goals and objectives
• Selection of investment managers and trustee/custodians
• Monitoring of investment performance
• Evaluation of insured products and investment administration consulting for internally and externally managed funds from strategy, structure and implementation to ongoing portfolio management
The first step of your career in investment consulting is to work as an Investment Consulting Intern. In this role, you will use your drive and strong analytical and communication skills to achieve clients’ goals ? within budget and on time, applying a sense of urgency and high standards of excellence.
Working in a stimulating environment, you will have opportunities to hone expertise and relevant skills as you advance to higher levels of consulting in the investment industry, while building a platform for career growth.
In will work strategically with a team of highly skilled investment consultants to develop and deliver customized solutions for institutional clients, such as sponsors and trustees of pension funds, endowments and other institutional asset pools by performing analysis, clarifying data and reporting using Mercer’s proprietary tools. An Investment Consulting Intern can expect to:
• Work in a fast-paced, energetic, action-oriented environment
• Receive training in key procedures and processes
• Critically analyze different investment markets, managers’ investment styles and portfolio characteristics and evaluate their impact on investment performance each quarter
• Produce accurate and detailed client reports through analysis of client-specific investment data, in support of consulting colleagues
• Assist in producing quarterly presentations which will review the general state of the economy, stock/bond market performances both domestically and internationally, economic trends and changes in regulations affecting investments
• Collect data needed for quarterly performance report and analyze the client’s portfolio performance, including performance of each of the funds within the client’s investment options.
• Have relevant, outcome-driven interactions with clients, fund managers and colleagues
• Communicate with investment and money managers and custodians to gather and/or clarify client-specific data for reporting
• Closely examine and monitor developments at investment management firms and notify clients of critical issues in an accurate and timely manner
• Play an important role in investment manager searches, mutual fund selection, asset allocation studies and other investment-related activities
Internships are paid on an hourly basis and are hosted for 10-12 weeks during the summer, typically beginning in early June.
2014 Investment Consulting Internships are projected to be available in:
Atlanta, Chicago, New York, San Francisco and St. Louis.
Qualified candidates for an Investment Consulting Intern position will have:
• Progress towards a bachelor’s degree in finance, economics, mathematics or other business-related areas with strong quantitative and analytical course content
• Minimum GPA of 3.0/4.0
• Availability to work 10-12 weeks during the summer
• Strong analytical skills and attention to detail
• High proficiency in Excel
• Good technical skills, including proficiency in Microsoft Office
• Interest in pursuing a Certified Financial Analyst (CFA) designation or MBA degree
• Self-motivation and an ability to work well in a highly collaborative team environment
• Excellent organizational, interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
• Ability to multitask, manage multiple priorities and work in a rapidly changing and dynamic environment
• High-level attention to detail and an understanding of its application to the bigger picture
• Eagerness to learn and keep up to date with the investment industry and market conditions
To be eligible for consideration, candidates must be authorized to work in the United States. Please note that at this time, the Company does not intend to sponsor work visas with respect to these positions or to provide these positions as OPT or CPT.
Please note that, to be eligible for internship consideration, you must still be a currently enrolled student at the time of the internship. If you have completed your degree or will complete your degree prior to Summer 2013, please consider Mercer’s other available career opportunities.
Mercer is an equal opportunity employer. M/F/D/V
155 N Wacker Dr
Chicago, IL 60606
Number of Interns: 10 to 20
Duration: 6 to 12 weeks
Academic Level: College Juniors
New York, NY
Saint Louis, MO
San Francisco, CA