Mercer's human capital consultants help clients, including top-level executives, board members and HR professionals, optimize business performance by addressing their human capital issues. Specifically, consultants and analysts help clients manage, reward and engage talent to drive business performance. We stay ahead of the competition by providing best-in-class information, unsurpassed global reach, dedicated support services and innovative solutions. Mercer’s ability to compete is driven from powerful tools, intellectual capital, high quality of work, leveraged resources and top talent.
The first step in your career with Mercer's Talent segment is to work as a Consulting Summer Associate in our Rewards, Leadership & Organization Performance and/or Workforce Analytics & Planning pactices. In this role, you will work with a broad range of clients and industries in a stimulating environment, participating as an integral member of project teams to diagnose issues and design strategic solutions that support clients’ success.
For MBA and master’s degree-level candidates with relevant prior work experience, the first step in your career with Mercer’s Talent business is to work as a Consulting Summer Associate. Consulting Summer Associates will have the opportunity to:
• Serve as a project manager in collaboration with senior consultants, developing project timelines and budgets and managing members on project teams for client and research projects. Understand project components and processes to make sure analyses are correct.
• Use Mercer’s proprietary tools and public filings to gather pay practices and policies. Review clients’ compensation packages, corporate performance and performance management practices.
• Provide quantitative and qualitative analysis and draw meaningful conclusions. Perform data analysis using advanced, dynamic Microsoft Excel modeling. Write and structure client presentations/reports, including the development of recommendations presented to senior management, executives and boards of directors. Draw conclusions from the data for project managers’ and senior consultants’ review. Work closely with project managers and senior consultants to determine which exhibits should be included in final client presentations. Client presentations typically involve a high level of customization.
• Help write and structure client presentations, including development of recommendations presented to HR leaders, senior management, executives and boards of directors
• Apply computer and research skills to understand financial performance, talent management trends, and pay practices and policies for particular clients and within the broader marketplace. Use proprietary tools and public filings to gather financial data. Develop and review client peer group lists.
• Research other sources to solicit industry knowledge, company news, competitor reports on industry trends, etc.
In addition, you may be asked to:
• Design base, short- and long-term incentive pay programs, performance measurement frameworks and performance management systems
• Evaluate clients’ strategic business objectives and their implications for rewards and other HR policies
• Participate in client meetings, including fact-finding interviews and presentations, and manage smaller projects and work streams of larger client projects
• Help clients achieve responsible executive remuneration by translating business strategies and shareholder expectations into talent management systems
Internships are paid on an hourly basis. Internships are hosted for 10-12 weeks during the summer, typically beginning in early June.
2014 Human Capital Summer Associate internships are projected to be available for summer 2014 in:
Atlanta, Chicago, Los Angeles, New York, Philadelphia, and San Francisco.
Qualified candidates for a Talent Consulting Summer Associate position will have:
• Progress towards an MBA, master’s in industrial and labor relations or related degree with an anticipated graduation date of December 2013 or later
• Significant coursework in finance, economics, statistics, mathematics, human resources (HR) and/or accounting
• Three to five years of relevant work experience in management consulting, compensation, finance, human resources or accounting preferred
• Availability to work 10-12 weeks during the summer in one of the following locations:
Atlanta, Chicago, Los Angeles, New York, Philadelphia, San Francisco.
Please indicate your top 2-3 location preferences in your cover letter
• Project management experience
• Excellent organizational skills and ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously with strong attention to detail
• Strong analytical skills, both quantitative and qualitative, and a strong background in Excel required
• Experience in data analysis, financial modeling and presentation design
• Intellectual curiosity, seeking opportunities to develop new skills
• Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
To be eligible for consideration, candidates must be authorized to work in the United States. Please note that at this time, the Company does not intend to sponsor work visas with respect to these positions or to provide these positions as OPT or CPT.
Please note that, to be eligible for internship consideration, you must still be a currently enrolled student at the time of the internship. If you have completed your degree or will complete your degree prior to Summer 2014, please consider Mercer’s other available career opportunities.
155 N Wacker Dr
Chicago, IL 60606
Duration: 6 to 12 weeks
Academic Level: Graduate Students, Business School Students
Los Angeles, CA
New York, NY
San Francisco, CA