Mercer’s Employee Health and Benefits (EH&B) business has the world’s most influential benefits brokerage and consulting capabilities. We strategize with clients of all sizes and industries to find benefits solutions that fit their needs. We bring the optimal combination of local-market knowledge and nationally driven best practices. Our innovations translate into superior benefits for clients and distinguish Mercer in the marketplace.
For large employers, we offer unique solutions that drive health and productivity gains. For smaller employers, we can leverage relationships with vendors to deliver innovative solutions scaled for easy implementation.
We deliver broad-based brokerage and consulting services through a national network of client teams that manage client strategy, vendor management, financial reporting, evaluation, administration, regulatory compliance and communication. These teams are composed of benefits specialists who know the health market and are supported by Mercer’s world-class resources, including state-of-the-art technologies and a range of world-class information, tools and talent.
Our national specialty practices provide thought leadership and breakthrough ideas on:
- Total health management, including consumerism, productivity, absence management, behavioral health and pharmacy
- Global health strategy and brokerage solutions
- Vendor performance and audit
- Life and disability management
- Provider performance, including provider measurement and transparency, high-performance networks and clinical innovation
Our client focus, integrity, expertise and innovation are why clients choose Mercer. We are also committed to setting the industry standard for ethical and transparent business practices.
The first step in your career with Mercer’s health and benefits business is as a Health & Benefits Intern, either on the general track or the actuarial track. As an H&B Actuarial Intern, you will work closely with senior consultants, partnering with client companies, in the design, financing, pricing and administration of their health and welfare programs. You will review current plan designs, contribution strategies and funding arrangements, and conduct benchmark studies to develop short- and long-term strategic goals that meet your client's benefit and financial needs. Our stimulating and learning-filled environment will help you build strong relationships with your colleagues and our clients.
An H&B Actuarial Intern can expect to:
- Perform basic cost projections using client cost and enrollment data
- Analyze vendor renewals and plan experience and estimate future plan costs
- Price medical & prescription drug plan designs using proprietary Mercer tools
- Develop employee contribution strategies to meet employer cost objectives
- Assist in the development of customized pricing and valuation models
- Develop basic underwriting and actuarial skills as you build an awareness of health care plan design, cost factors and the renewal process as well as industry products, services and tools including Mercer H&B products, the vendor/carrier market, and budget-setting, rate-setting and evaluation.
Internships are paid on an hourly basis, and the hourly rate depends on educational and SOA exam progress as well as location. Internships are hosted for 10-12 weeks during the summer, typically beginning in early June.
2013 Employee Health & Benefit Actuarial Internships are projected to be available for summer 2013 in:
Atlanta, Chicago, Houston, Louisville (KY), Los Angeles, Minneapolis, New York, Newport Beach (CA), Phoenix, Richmond (VA), San Francisco, and Seattle.
Qualified candidates for an EH&B Actuarial Intern position will have:
• Progress towards a bachelor’s in math, statistics, economics, business, finance, or other related field
• Minimum GPA of 3.0/4.0
• Availability to work 10-12 weeks during the summer
• Superior analytical, mathematical and project management skills
• Strong command of Microsoft Excel
• A commitment to achieving a Society of Actuaries designation as demonstrated by successful actuarial exam progress or other related professional certification
• Excellent organizational, interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
• A high degree of self-direction and the business acumen to work within a rapidly changing environment
To be eligible for consideration, candidates must be authorized to work in the United States. Please note that at this time, the Company does not intend to sponsor work visas with respect to these positions or to provide these positions as OPT or CPT.
Please note that, to be eligible for internship consideration, you must still be a currently enrolled student at the time of the internship. If you have completed your degree or will complete your degree prior to Summer 2013, please consider Mercer’s other available career opportunities.
Mercer is an equal opportunity employer. M/F/D/V
155 N Wacker Dr
Chicago, IL 60606
Number of Interns: 21 to 50
Duration: 6 to 12 weeks
Academic Level: College Juniors
Los Angeles, CA
Newport Beach, CA
New York, NY
San Francisco, CA