HITT Contracting Inc. is a nationally ranked turn-key commercial general contractor with offices throughout the country. The company’ focus extends to government, law firms, corporate office interiors, and related base building. Over 1,000 team members strong, HITT delivers quality construction and critical strategic services for its clients from coast-to-coast, approaching each job with the big picture in mind and incorporating pre-construction, estimation, sustainable construction, and virtual construction resources whenever necessary.
A Construction Intern participates in a hands-on internship experience in the “Cornerstone Phase” of the four-phased HITT Futures Leadership Program. Construction Interns are placed with Futures Program mentors for the duration of their summer work at HITT, participating in day-to-day operations of the project management and site operations teams.
This structured training and experiential employment period is used as an opportunity for the candidate to familiarize themselves with the different facets of commercial general contracting while learning the way HITT conducts business relative to others in the construction industry.
Further, this period is also used by the candidate to become familiar with HITT’s history and corporate culture. It is the intent that at the end of the Intern period that each successful candidate would be offered an opportunity to advance within the Futures Program.
HITT’s summer internship unites students from collegiate construction programs nationwide to start building their industry networks in an interactive professional setting. The structured program is always evolving to fit the demands of its top tier participants. Construction Interns are immersed in HITT operations and quickly become productive team members with meaningful work and high quality deliverables.
Construction Intern Responsibilities include:
- Manage subcontractor and supplier coordination, material tracking, file management, document control (submittals, RFIs and change orders) and progress reporting.
- Assist the preparation of bid packages and work with team members to solicit and evaluate subcontractor bids
- Support both administrative and construction projects/procedures, reviewing proposals/specifications and drawings, execute material takeoffs, prepare cost estimates and attend preconstruction meetings and client walk-throughs
- Collaborate with on-site project teams to assist with project layout, construction drawing and trade coordination, verification of site conditions, safety and quality control
Construction Intern Compensation
- Work approximately 40 hours per week for the duration of the 10-week construction internship program (no overtime available)
- Interns are paid $17-21/per hour
- Current student pursuing an undergraduate or graduate degree from an accredited university within the construction, engineering, or business concentrations strongly preferred
- Ability to work approximately 40 hours per week for the duration of the 10-week construction internship program (no overtime available)
- Ability to successfully manage multiple, competing priorities in a deadline driven environment
- Ability to learn sector/project-specific software systems including but not limited to: ProCore project management software, Adobe, BlueBeam, Microsoft Office suite (ex. Project, Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, etc.),
- Ability to actively participate in social events, weekly intern classes, and HITT culture activities
- Exceptional customer and client focus, ability to succeed in a team environment
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Strong positive attitude, ability to follow direction, take initiative, display desire to learn
- Strong written and verbal communications skills
2900 Fairview Park Drive
Falls Church, VA 22042
Number of Interns: 21 to 50
Duration: 6 to 12 weeks
Academic Level: College Freshmen, College Sophomores, College Juniors, College Seniors, Graduate Students
Falls Church, VA
New York, NY
South Florida, FL