athena employs over 100 interns in a variety of departments and office locations each summer. Interns are given challenging projects that directly impact the business. Many hiring teams compete for intern talent by crowdsourcing the most meaningful and impactful projects ideas from employees (the winning ideas get interns!)
Examples of projects tackled by interns in 2016:
The First Trans-Inclusive EHR: let’s build the first EHR (electronic health record) with intentionally designed workflow to care for transgender patients. This intern will build on the scoping and research done by athena’s Trans-Inclusion Committee, as well as work done by the athenaCollector team to add additional fields for recording gender identity, and display that demographic information appropriately to each user role.
The Evolution of PCP Practice: Conduct analysis on a derived dataset that captures health care utilization over time by patient and provider cohorts. The specific analysis will consist of determining how the practice of primary care physicians has changed over the last five years. This intern will write brief reports on his or her research, which will then be incorporated into blog posts and/or journalistic articles posted on athenaInsight, athena’s new content web site.
Succeeding in a Value-Based World: The shift from fee-for-service (FFS) to alternative payment models (APMs) is already underway, and MACRA implementation beginning in 2017 will further accelerate change. In order for athenahealth to continue to succeed, we must understand the landscape and develop the capacity to support our clients’ evolving needs. This intern will research and identify industry trends that affect our clients and provide a set of recommendations to further the success of athenahealth and our clients.
Though the departments and office locations interns work in vary, the staples of the athenaInternship experience are consistent for all:
- Seminar Series: interns meet and learn from leaders across the company for a macro-level view of what makes athena tick
- Networking & Fun: most employees describe athena as a “work hard play hard” culture, and we practice what we preach! We show interns the best of our culture and the cities we live in. Social events on and off campus are a great way to bond with your peers and to experience life as an athenista!
- End of Summer Presentations: all interns complete their summer experience by presenting to department and company leaders to showcase the work they did, the impact they made, and to share recommendations for the future.
Interns sit in the Boston, Austin, Atlanta, San Fran, and Belfast, Maine offices. Workspace is open, modern, collaborative, and dog-friendly. Interns and employees alike enjoy perks like food trucks, roof decks, donut Fridays, free parking and shuttle services, and weekly outdoor concerts. All employees are paid competitive rates.
While specific requirements vary by role, the following is required of all interns:
- Must be enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program
- Flexible, adaptable, team-player
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Intellectual curiosity with a genuine interest in our mission to make health care work as it should
Evan O’Meara, Campus Recruiting Department
Number of Interns: 101 or more
Duration: 6 to 12 weeks
Academic Level: College Sophomores, College Juniors, College Seniors, Graduate Students, Business School Students, Law School Students
San Francisco, CA