With $580 billion in assets, HSBC North America Holdings includes HSBC USA, HSBC Canada and the HSBC Finance Corporation, which provides retail banking, credit cards, lending, insurance and other consumer services. In the U.S., HSBC's business lines are commercial banking, personal financial services, private banking and global banking and markets. The vast majority of its 460-plus branches are in New York state, but others can be found in Connecticut, New Jersey, Maryland, Delaware, Illinois, Oregon, Washington State, California, Florida, Virginia and Washington, D.C.
HSBC offers global banking and markets internships that allow successful applicants to help the firm's efforts to offer clients a wide spectrum of investment banking expertise, with a range of financial products and services that help them to achieve consistent, long-term performance. The 10-week internships are open to students in their penultimate year of university.
Each program offers a combination of practical experience and classroom training. During the internship program, successful applicants will be set measurable objectives and receive feedback throughout the 10 weeks. There will be many people they can call on for support. Their manager will be able to give them guidance on their career options. They’ll be assigned a mentor who will help them to get the most out of the experience, and a buddy to share ideas with and who they can call on for advice. There will be regular business and social events to attend so they can build a network of global contacts, which will prove invaluable to them in the future. They can also take part in sustainability initiatives, which could help them become a future leader of HSBC, while adding value to the communities in which the firm works.
There are five internships that fall under this category:
1. Banking Internship - This internship is offered in the U.S., as well as China, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Korea, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Taiwan, United Arab Emirates, and the UK. The program offers exposure to projects in a fast-paced investment banking environment, preparing interns for a successful banking career with international opportunities. Interns can work in two categories:
Advisory Coverage – these teams originate, develop and execute corporate transactions and capital raising projects for global customers in most major industry sectors. Activities include mergers and acquisitions, divestures, joint ventures and financial restructurings.
Coverage – these teams provide informed advice on a full range of products and services in specific regions or industry sectors. The objective is to drive global, profitable client relationships built on trust and understanding.
2. Capital Financing Internship - The internship is offered in the U.S., as well as France, Hong Kong, Singapore, United Arab Emirates and the UK. The program will offer interns an opportunity to gain an insight into one of the firm's product areas (asset finance; debt capital markets; equity capital markets; leveraged and acquisition finance; mergers and acquisitions; or project and export finance), with a view to developing a successful international career as a specialist within Capital Financing.
3. Markets Internship - Markets at HSBC provides sales and trading services to a range of clients worldwide, including the world’s central banks, government agencies, international corporations, financial institutions and hedge fund managers. Interns will be part of the firm's international team of specialists, gaining experience on a project or a number of transactions. This will help them to build their knowledge of sales or trading within Markets, as well as their analytical and communication skills.
Sales - Interns will learn about developing and nurturing relationships with customers, communicating general market views and specific investment solutions.
Trading - Interns will focus on helping with orders for customers and keeping them updated with news and order flows, as well as communicating information to sales.
This internship program is open to U.S. students, as well as students from Hong Kong and the UK.
4. Global Research Internship - This internship, offered in the U.S., Hong Kong and the UK, offers a solid grounding in Global Research. By gaining an understanding of different research methodologies, and honing analytical and communication skills, interns will have the ideal preparation for a successful international career as an analyst in investment banking. Interns will learn about the firm's macro, sector and company-scaled research and its strength in emerging markets and climate change. Throughout the internship, they’ll be involved in projects and transactions. They’ll learn from specialised research analysts and economists, gain a detailed insight into HSBC’s strengths in the financial services industry. Interns will gain hands-on experience, which will build their technical knowledge of investment banking and the role of Global Research. Interns will also develop their behavioural, analytical, interpersonal and presentation skills.
5. HSBC Securities Services Internship - This international internship is only available to students in Hong Kong and the UK. It offers a thorough insight into one of the world’s leading securities services providers. HSBC Securities Services provides asset and portfolio services to corporate, institutional and government investors and issuers worldwide and the internship program will help interns to develop the skills, experience and network necessary for a successful international career in investment banking. Throughout the program, interns will build their expertise in one of the following areas: custody services, investment operations, fund administration, middle office services, corporate trust or loan agency. They will gain experience of projects and client exposure, and have the chance to learn more about products and services across HSBC Securities Services. Structured training will help interns become familiar with relevant products, systems and customers, and increase their knowledge of the HSBC Securities Services business, the regulatory environment and changes in the financial markets.
To be considered for the internship, you will be a student in their penultimate year who:
Has a 3.2 GPA
Has a well-developed interest in international markets and finance
Enjoys working at a fast pace in a constantly evolving marketplace
Has enthusiasm for understanding long-, medium- and short-term trends in the global economy
Is intellectually curious
Has a global outlook
Is proactive and innovative
Is a team player with outstanding interpersonal skills, strong commercial acumen and a flair for problem solving
Has the highest standards of behaviour
Is self-motivated, confident, articulate and willing to take on new challenges
Has strong numerical and analytical skills
Has strong communication and relationship-building skills
Has strong presentation skills
Is fluent in business English
Additional requirements are based on specific regions. Check www.hsbc.com/careers for more specific information related to your region.
HSBC North America Holdings
26525 North Riverwoods Blvd.
Mettawa, IL 60045-2000
Duration: 6 to 12 weeks
Academic Level: College Juniors
Degree Track: Bachelor of Arts
Minimum GPA Preferred: 3.00-3.49
Hong Kong, China