AeroVironment is a technology solutions provider with a 40+ year history of practical innovation in the fields of unmanned aircraft systems (UAS) and electric vehicles (EV). Founded in 1971 by noted physicist and engineer Dr. Paul MacCready, AeroVironment develops breakthrough technologies that create entirely new product categories, including UAS and electric vehicle solutions, and also minimize our impact on the environment. AeroVironment’s culture is one of applied innovation, where individual creativity, curiosity and passion combine in a collaborative environment to create a brighter future.
Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Conducts general engineering and design of RF systems.
- Documents designs with engineering drawings and written descriptions.
- Writes fabrication and test procedures.
- Supports flight test operations, some travel may be required.
- Performs design engineering using CAD or electronics software.
- Performs performance analysis of designs.
- Entry level engineering support activities.
Required Qualifications & Background
- Requires Junior standing or higher towards Aero/Mechanical/Electrical/or Computer Science degree or equivalent min.
- UAV or Robotics experience desired.
- General Engineering fundamentals, mathematics, physics, material properties.
- Must have some electronics or computer based course work; Design/drafting/CAD experience desirable.
- Flight test or R/C experience a plus, Hands-on experience with tools a plus.
- Familiarity with process controls a plus - Will work on government contracts.
- Excellent verbal and written skills - Leadership experience - Team Player.
- Familiar with software tools in their area of expertise / education.
- Familiar with office software and computer based productivity tools.
This position requires you have access to data and technology that is subject to the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR). Applicants cannot be hired until they are qualified to have such access.
What We Do
Building on a history of technological innovation, AV designs, develops, produces, and supports an advanced portfolio of Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) and efficient electric energy systems. Agencies of the U.S. Department of Defense and allied military services use the company’s hand-launched UAS to provide situational awareness to tactical operating units through real-time, airborne reconnaissance, surveillance, and target acquisition. Commercial and governmental entities use AV’s clean transportation solutions such as electric vehicle test systems and electric vehicle fast charge systems, as well as its clean energy solutions.
We look for the following in our intern candidates:
- A GPA of 3.0 or above and a major in any of the following: aerospace engineering, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, or computer science/software engineering.
- We also look for extra-curricular activities that relate to a student’s major or hobbies that pertain to our business such as the Design/Build/Fly competition or RC plane experience. Experience with batteries and/or industrial vehicles as well as an interest in renewable energy is also a plus.
- Communication skills and the ability to work in a team environment are also important.
We typically hire college juniors and above into our internship program. By college junior, we mean one who has obtained junior level standing in one’s major (not overall).
*U.S. citizenship or permanent residency is required.
900 Enchanted Way
Simi Valley, CA 93065
Number of Interns: 10 to 20
Duration: 6 to 12 weeks
Academic Level: College Juniors, College Seniors, Business School Students
Los Angeles, CA