The Associate Intern role is responsible for learning and applying their technical skills and working as part of a team carrying out tasks under close coaching and supervision. They should complete all assigned tasks in a timely, efficient manner and actively search for additional responsibilities when time permits in order to become familiar with all aspects of responsibilities within YHB and to meet their Internship learning goals.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
Technical Expertise & Work Quality
- Develops an understanding of the business and the Associate role.
- Gain familiarity with relevant firm technical resources, computer applications and demonstrate effective use of these resources, as well as develop basic file and workpaper organization techniques.
- Complete specific tasks, reports and deliverables within assigned timeframes and budgets.
- Works as an effective team member to complete project components and assignment tasks.
- Follow Firm guidance regarding secure use of hardware, software and client information.
- Demonstrate a common sense approach to problem solving, clearly identifying issues and/or problems as they arise.
- Possess or attain a clear understanding of the engagement objective in order to perform only the necessary procedures.
- Assists in research gathering as requested.
- Demonstrate effective communication skills, keeping relevant Firm and client personnel informed.
- Follow the Firm’s time reporting requirements including timely entry of daily time for payroll and billing purposes, when required.
- Seeks to gain knowledge of client businesses.
- Display confidence in expressing ideas and alternative solutions.
- Communicate with others in a tactful and business-like manner.
- Present themselves to clients in a professional manner.
Personal Participation & Professional Development
- Listen carefully to others, take notes, ask questions and seek clarification of instructions and tasks which may not otherwise be clearly understood (e.g., asking follow up questions to gain clarity, discern opinion from fact, respects different perspectives).
- Maintain the confidentiality of information obtained in public accounting work.
- Address all issues in a professional and respectful manner with other interns and YHB employees.
Leading & Developing Others
- Understand the importance of cooperation and teamwork. Demonstrate this understanding by maintaining positive working relationships with superiors, clients and other team members, which requires an attitude of helpfulness, a focus on team success, and the consideration of ideas from others.
- Serves as an ambassador to their University by demonstrating great leadership skills and striving toward goals established between themselves and their University instructors.
1) Working toward degree qualification – will be completing Intermediate Accounting by the start of the Internship and on track to complete requirements to be licensed as a CPA.
2) Strong interpersonal and relationship building skills.
3) Team player with a positive “can do” approach.
4) Strong communication skills.
5) A general and growing knowledge of firm products and services.
6) A general understanding of market trends including opportunities, global and local business initiatives.
Will Murphy, CPLP, SPHR, SHRM-SCP
YHB (Yount, Hyde & Barbour)
Number of Interns: 10 to 20
Compensation/Benefits: Academic Credit, Paid
Duration: Less than 6 weeks
Academic Level: College Juniors, College Seniors