2019 Vault Rankings
BDO’s Core Purpose is Helping People Thrive Every Day. Our Core Values reflect how we manage our work, our relationships and ourselves. As an employee of the firm, you will live true to our Core Values of people first, being exceptional every day in every way, embracing change, feeling empowered through knowledge and choosing accountability. Our Core Values are the standards by which we conduct ourselves day in and day out, both internally and externally.
Core Tax Internship:
BDO is a place for energetic self-starters who can think and act like entrepreneurs. The Core Tax Services Intern will be responsible for utilizing his / her educational background as well as organizational skills in the service of firm's client base through the preparation of returns and extensions under the supervision of more experienced Core Tax Services professionals. This opportunity will allow you to gain a unique hands-on perspective on our firm’s practices and people, as well as beginning to forge the critical relationships that will help maximize your chance for success in your career.
Ensures both that (a) clients comply with all applicable authorities, while at the same time minimizing their tax and reporting burdens, and (b) self and client service teams comply with all Firm policies, standards, and the BDO Tax Quality Manual (“TQM”).
- Effectively uses referencing system and workpapers that ties to the return
- Completes tasks and organizes file to minimize rework by reviewer;
- Ensures data is collected to comply with filing requirements;
- Takes initiative on impending due dates/engagement letters
- Works with tax software applications to complete simple tax returns for review
- Performs quarterly estimates and prepares extensions
- Assists with responses to notices from the Internal Revenue Service
- Assists in the projection of year-end filings
ASC 740-10 (FAS 109 and FIN 48) Tax Accruals
Correctly and proactively applies Firm policies, standards, and the BDO Tax Quality Manual (TQM) regarding FAS 109 and FIN 48.
- Assists with components of income tax provisions.
Assists with developing, recommending, and implementing efficient and effective methods to maximize client benefits, especially by decreasing clients’ current and future taxes.
- Operates online research tools to gather pertinent tax information;
- Monitors tax law and client factual developments on a regular basis, daily or weekly but at least bi-weekly;
- Develops and communicates to client service team personnel, viewpoints regarding how those developments might affect clients;
Other duties as required
BDO is a place for energetic self-starters who can think and act like entrepreneurs. As an Intern in our Assurance practice, you will begin to utilize your educational background as well as your organizational skills as you serve the firm's dynamic client base. You will assist in problem solving and fact-finding, working side-by-side with more experienced team members who can provide you with direction, coaching and learning opportunities. This opportunity will allow you to gain a unique hands-on perspective on our firm’s practices and people, as well as beginning to forge the critical relationships that will help maximize your chance for success in your career.
- Participates in a structured on-the-job training program and become familiar with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and Generally Accepted Auditing Standards
- Becomes familiar with BDO specific audit methodology to assist with various stages of the audit process
- Provides various support functions to the audit staff during engagement
- Communicates with the clients' customers, creditors, banks and related parties concerning audit issues
- Prepares and document work in working papers utilizing BDO specific tools and templates
- Contributes ideas/opinions to the audit teams and listen/respond to other team members’ views.
- Completes one assigned accounting or audit related research project and able to present findings to a panel of Assurance professionals
Other duties as required
Start Your Career
There are few world-class accounting firms. Far fewer that offer a culture so rich in professional opportunity – and not just for senior professionals. At BDO, we make it a priority to provide our interns and entry level professionals with mentorship, flexibility, and learning opportunities. In short, everything needed to learn and grow as professionals.
- Enrolled in a Bachelors or Masters program in Accounting or other relevant field required
- Pursuing a Masters degree in Accounting or other relevant field preferred
- Leadership experience preferred
- Actively pursuing school credits to become a CPA
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, specifically Word, Excel and PowerPoint
Other Preferred Knowledge, Skills Abilities:
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to follow instructions as directed
- Ability to work effectively in a team setting
- Positive attitude and willingness to learn
BDO USA LLP
One Bush Street
San Francisco, CA 94104
Phone: 415 490-3319
Number of Interns: 101 or more
Duration: 6 to 12 weeks
Academic Level: College Juniors, College Seniors, Recent College Graduates, Graduate Students
San Francisco, CA