Coronavirus Update: Our team is here to help our clients and readers navigate these difficult times. Visit our Resources page now »

Skip to Main Content

Home Explore Careers

Insurance Underwriters

Certification, Licensing, and Special Requirements

Certification or Licensing

The Institutes offers the associate in commercial underwriting (AU) associate in commercial underwriting-management (AU-M) designation. Requirements for the AU and AU-M include completion of designated course work (usually lasting two years) and passing a comprehensive examination. The institute also offers a more advanced professional certification, the chartered property casualty underwriter (CPCU) designation. Course work for the CPCU usually takes five years, and a candidate must pass eight courses/examinations, covering such subjects as accounting, finance, business law, and commercial risk management.

Join Vault Gold to unlock this premium content

Earnings - Outlook - Resources & Associations and more

Submit a Review and Get 7 FREE DAYS of Vault Gold

Are you a student? You may have FREE access.

Vault partners with thousands of colleges, universities and academic institutions to provide students with FREE access to our premium content. To determine if your school is a partner, please enter your school email address below.

Featured Companies