2021 Vault Rankings
At a Glance
“Flexibility in schedule and freedom.”
“Great colleagues; people-centric values.”
“Interesting client work.”
“High sales growth expectations.”
“Compensation could be higher.”
“Competitive in some specialty areas.”
“Human capital consulting; works with big clients.”
About Mercer LLC
Mercer believes in building brighter futures by redefining the world of work, reshaping retirement and investment outcomes, and unlocking real health and well-being. Mercer’s more than 25,000 employees are based in 44 countries, and the firm operates in over 130 countries. Mercer is a business of Marsh & McLennan (NYSE: MMC), the world’s leading professional services firm in the areas of risk, strategy and people, with 76,000 colleagues and annual revenue of $17 billion. For more information, visit www.mercer.com. Follow Mercer on Twitter @Mercer.
Different names, same business
From the beginning, Mercer has been in the business of making a difference in people’s lives. In 1945, William M. Mercer, Ltd. began in Canada and grew to become a premier provider of actuarial and benefits consulting services. Acquired by Marsh & McLennan Companies in 1959 and merged with its employee benefits department, the firm expanded through growth and acquisition to become a global leader in health, wealth, and career.
Breaking down the business
Mercer organizes its business around three key areas: Health, Wealth, and Career, each with distinct areas of practice.
Mercer is a global leader in the health and benefits marketplace, and is the largest health benefits broker in the United States. The firm delivers trusted advisory services, brokerage and innovative solutions that help employers and their employees derive greater value from their benefits and achieve better health outcomes. Mercer’s experienced local teams, enhanced by the intellectual capital and thought leadership of our national firm, enable us to deliver advice and solutions across health, pharmacy, compliance, technology and benefits administration. Whether for a small business, domestic employer or large multinational firm, Mercer delivers health and benefits solutions that meet each employer’s unique needs. Outside the US, Mercer’s Health business goes to market with its Marsh & McLennan sister business Marsh, as “Mercer Marsh Benefits.”
Mercer is the world's largest institutional investment advisor with more than $15 trillion in assets under advisement and $321 billion in assets under management. The firm is also a global leader in the provision of actuarial and related services. Its Wealth business provides services to clients in four broad areas:
- Defined Contribution (DC) - DC plans are now the primary source of retirement income for many individuals. Mercer's consultants work with clients to design, plan, and manage customized DC plans that can help improve retirement outcomes for employees while meeting workforce management needs. They also advise sponsors on investments, governance, and management of fiduciary risk through the firm's DC OCIO offerings.
- Defined Benefit (DB) - Mercer’s interdisciplinary team of specialists provide clients with holistic advice and an integrated approach to managing pension cost, size, and risk. The firm's innovative strategies can help DB plans deliver optimal outcomes to meet clients’ objectives, bringing together actuarial, administration, and investment services for a seamless experience. A range of advisory and delegated services are available.
- Not-for-Profit - As a trusted advisor and recognized industry leader, Pavilion, a Mercer Practice, advises endowments, foundations, healthcare organizations and faith-based institutions on essential investment strategy decisions appropriate to their missions and spending requirements. Pavilion offers a full suite of services especially tailored for not-for-profit organizations.
- Financial Intermediaries - Mercer offers extensive capabilities to help financial intermediaries overcome today’s market challenges by improving governance, reducing costs, and enhancing their clients’ return potential.
Mercer brings breakthrough thinking and innovative products and solutions to help HR deliver impactful business outcomes in three key areas:
- Design and implement workforce strategies to position clients for success today and into the future. Mercer helps clients craft a compelling employee experience through attraction, retention, learning and reward strategies that help employees thrive throughout their careers. By helping clients embrace the new shape of work, Mercer guides the transition to flexible work arrangements.
- Enable companies to evolve, transform and navigate the journey of constant change needed to stay competitive. Mercer curates, implements and integrates leading HR technologies to help clients succeed in a digital age. They redesign work processes and reassess HR’s value to enhance the experience for employees and HR.
- Align executive programs to business objectives to enhance company performance and achieve shareholder objectives. Mercer acts as trusted advisors to design executive and director compensation and benefits programs and ensure corporate governance.
The company's extended offerings include a dedicated M&A business, which is part of its Multinational Client Segment.
Multinational Client Segment (includes M&A Consulting and International Consulting)
To help optimize the specific financial, risk management and HR, opportunities and challenges faced by global organizations, Mercer has a dedicated team, the Multinational Client Segment (MCS) that focuses on advising multinational clients across all areas of service. Led by global client managers and global consultant experts, our team develop global-level strategies for both global and local implementation to ensure optimal outcome. This enables the deployment of the full power of Mercer worldwide to serve the needs of multinational clients, while striking the right balance between local needs and the globally agreed-upon strategy.
1166 Avenue of the Americas
New York, NY 10036
Phone: (212) 345-7000
Employer Type: Subsidiary
Stock Symbol: MMC
Stock Exchange: NYSE
President & CEO: Martine Ferland
2020 Employees (All Locations): 25,000