2020 Vault Rankings
At a Glance
“Smart, down-to-earth people.”
“It can be difficult to juggle multiple cases at the same time.”
“Lack of predictability/agency in working hours.”
“Promotion structure is rigid.”
“Highly regarded in its niche.”
“Strong brand Econ consulting.”
About Cornerstone Research
In the increasingly complicated world of commercial litigation, attorneys often need help sifting through complex economic or financial issues. Cornerstone Research is the place they turn to for help. The firm has worked with top-tier law firms throughout its existence, and has represented firms in a diverse group of industries including finance, telecommunications, high tech, manufacturing, and energy.
Cornerstone Research provides attorneys with consulting for many facets of the litigation process. That includes finding high-quality expert witnesses, as well as providing economic and financial analysis to attorneys as they navigate the complexities of litigation and regulatory proceedings.
To the courtroom and beyond
If you were to believe everything you see on TV, the process of preparing for a trial involves a group of lawyers debating before one of them wins over the judge or jury with an emotive argument. The reality, of course, is a lot more complicated—as Cornerstone Research's list of services will attest. The firm has six main areas of specialization that law firms can draw upon as they prepare for cases: consulting with attorneys, engaging and working with expert witnesses, conducting research and analysis, consulting on internal and regulatory inquiries, consulting in motion practice, and preparing for deposition and trial.
The first of these categories is the broadest. Given the many complexities that can arise in a legal case, attorneys call upon Cornerstone Research to analyze key issues related to business, economics, or finance. Cornerstone Research's consultants fill that role, bringing their expert knowledge, as well as the firm's network of faculty experts and industry specialists. In the event a case makes it to the courtroom, the firm's services can extend through the trial and even to post-trial briefs.
The vast majority of undergraduates who join Cornerstone Research eventually leave to earn graduate degrees, with most pursuing MBAs. Other departing consultants choose to pursue PhDs in economics or finance, or law degrees. The firm takes formal steps to help consultants with the application process. It brings in admissions counselors from Wharton, Stanford, Duke, MIT, Kellogg, Chicago, and other top institutions to give presentations and talk to students about their respective schools and the requirements for admission.
At Cornerstone Research, we foster a strong, collegial culture, rooted in thriving teams. This emphasis on collaboration has enabled us to successfully adapt to the challenges arising from COVID-19. We continue to refine our approaches thoughtfully, in response to state and local guidance, and the client and employee feedback we solicit on an ongoing basis. Current initiatives include:
- Firmwide working-from-home model to ensure all employees’ health and safety
- Frequent office meetings with a focus on fun and community building
- Biweekly surveys to gauge workload, connectedness to colleagues, and overall well-being
- Regular communications from senior leaders about progress on firm decisions and continuing projects
- Team check-ins to promote positive, open communication
- Resources to help employees cope with challenging situations through support groups and information sharing
- Firmwide wellness offerings for employees to participate in activities such as virtual yoga and meditation
- Enhanced IT support and allowances for office equipment and supplies
Cornerstone Research is successfully operating and staying connected to our clients, experts, and to one another. We continue our recruiting activities to attract qualified applicants for consulting roles to join us in 2021. These efforts include:
- Summer internships: We remain committed to hosting the summer analysts and interns who will join us for a six-week, virtual program. If we are able to return to fully operational offices before June 15, an in-person option may be available.
- Virtual recruiting events: Throughout March and April, we hosted a number of virtual recruiting events, including information sessions and externships. We are prepared to offer additional virtual events in the summer and fall as needed (although we hope to see students on campus).
Two Embarcadero Center
San Francisco, CA 94111
Phone: (415) 229-8100
Employer Type: Private
Chief Executive Officer: Rahul Guha
President: Yesim C. Richardson
Managing Director and Chair: Cynthia L. Zollinger
2019 Employees (All Locations): 775
Los Angeles, CA
New York, NY
San Francisco, CA
Silicon Valley, CA
Antitrust and Competition
Bankruptcy and Financial Distress Litigation
Consumer Fraud and Product Liability
Corporate and Government Investigations
Corporate Transaction Litigation
Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA)
Energy and Commodities
International Arbitration and Litigation
Labor and Employment