At Willkie, people are our most valued asset. From the day you start at the Firm as a young lawyer, you are an integral part of the Willkie community and, whether you choose to remain here for the rest of your career or decide to move on to other endeavors, you will always be a part of the Willkie family.
There are many reasons to work at Willkie. At its simplest, our fundamental goal is to provide our attorneys with the highest-quality training, early responsibility and the opportunity to work on challenging and cutting-edge matters in a collaborative environment where people genuinely get along with each other.
Our Integrated Global Practice
Our firm consists of 600 lawyers spread across nine offices in six countries but we view ourselvs as one firm. Across each of our strategic areas of practice, the Firm’s experience is both deep and broad, seamlessly marrying a wealth of subject matter expertise with significant knowledge of the particular rules and regulations as well as customs and cultures in each of the markets where we operate. Attorneys in different practice groups and offices regularly collaborate on matters big and small to deliver the highest quality of service to our clients. Click here for a sampling of recent noteworthy matters on which we have worked.
Our Investment in Our People
Investing in your professional growth is a top priority. Throughout your career, you will have access to a wide array of exceptional training and professional development programs, which are complemented by our personal and tailored approach to mentoring, all of which is geared to giving you the tools to allow you to reach your fullest potential.
Our Commitment to Mentoring
We are committed to mentoring at all levels. While we offer a range of formal mentoring programs and opportunities, associates are also encouraged to develop informal mentoring relationships.
- New Associate Mentor Program- All new associates are assigned a career advisor partner and an associate liaison mentor who together provide invaluable support and assistance as the associate integrates into the Firm’s culture.
- Senior Associate/Partner Advisor Program- All attorneys starting at fourth-year are offered the opportunity to select a partner advisor to supplement existing mentor relationships and provide guidance on the important transition from a junior to mid-level attorney.
- Women’s Mentoring Circles- Our Women’s Professional Development Committee has developed a mentoring network to enhance communication among women at the Firm. Click here for more information on our mentoring circles program.
- Lateral Associate Integration– To allow for a smooth and seamless transition , the Firm organizes from time to time seminars for recent lateral hires, which cover a host of topics including the firm’s history, management structure, firm economics as well as an overview of the different practice groups.
- Senior Associate Advisory Network- A team of senior associates is on call to answer questions from junior associates on specific assignments or projects as well to serve more generally as another career guidance resource.
- Interactive Assigning System– Assigning Partners regularly meet with associates to discuss workload, individual preferences and experiences, all of which are taken into account in distributing work assignments.
- Early Responsibility- Associates are encouraged to step up and challenge themselves by taking on greater responsibility on each matter at the outset so that they can expose themselves to a wide range of tasks and hone their skills.
Our Training and Professional Development Programs
The Firm’s training programs are designed to help develop well-rounded, highly competent attorneys at every level.
- Weekly In-House Seminars– we offer an extensive program of in-house training presentations conducted by Willkie partners and senior associates, as well as external speakers, on topics ranging from developments in the law (at introductory and advanced levels) to financial analysis to practical lawyering and business skills.
- Summer Trainings- Our summer associates receive immediate exposure during orientation to the types of work we do and the clients we serve in our Practice Area Spotlights. We also provide three fundamental training seminars: Presentation Skills, Mock Arbitration and Corporate Negotiations — each spanning several weeks during the summer program.
- First Year Seminar- Halfway through our associates' first year at the firm, we bring all first-year associates back together for seminars and workshops focused on professional skills, such as communicating effectively, and fundamental business topics, including Acounting "2.0" and Firm Economics.
- New Associate Orientation- Our orientation program includes a comprehensive overview of Firm and is accompanied by department-specific “boot camps” intended to provide new associates with the basic skills needed to start their careers at Willkie.
- Fourth-Year Seminar- At the pivotal transition period from junior to mid-level associate, we host a seminars and workshops that cover topics including the business of the Firm, management skills and business development as well as department-specific skills training.
- Senior Associate Briefing- As partnership prospects grow closer, the Firm provides senior associate classes with an in-depth program that focuses on developing each associate’s business development and marketing skills.
Our Alumni Network
Many people spend their entire careers at Willkie, while others leverage the skills they gain and relationships they build at Willkie as a foundation for their next venture. Our vast network of Willkie alumni have gone on to prominent positions both in the legal field and outside including CEOs and General Counsels of Fortune 500 companies, federal and state judges, members of Congress, top-ranked federal and state government officials, and distinguished academic institutions. Biennially, we host an alumni reception in New York that draws hundreds of former Willkie attorneys to reconnect with old friends and colleagues.
The Willkie Community
We take great pride in our work, but we have also not lost sight of the importance of getting to know one another on a personal level and building lasting relationships. We have a well-deserved reputation for our friendly, open-door culture and we work hard to maintain that atmosphere. In addition to monthly “informal gatherings” in the office, we host a range of all-attorney events outside the office, which over the years have included a ping pong tournament, a boat cruise, an indoor team mini golf, a family event at the Central Park Zoo, a casino night and an ice skating party. Each department also hosts social events and team building activities that have included bowling competitions, dodge ball tournaments, volunteer days at local chartable organizations and barbeques at partners’ houses.
Our Diverse Backgrounds
We know first-hand the benefits of a diverse and inclusive workplace and actively work to recruit, retain and promote people of all backgrounds and cultural experiences. Our clients, many of whom conduct business on a global scale, expect a workforce as diverse as today’s global marketplace, making for a stronger team that is more adept at creative problem-solving.
Our Commitment to Helping Others
Our Firm has a long-standing commitment to improving the lives of those unable to afford legal representation. We work with a wide network of legal services organizations to source and staff pro bono matters, and, in particular, have an active practice representing asylum seekers and other persons with complex immigration problems. Click here to learn more about our pro bono work.
Each year, we also offer associates from all departments the opportunity to take a four-month paid externships at a local pro-bono organization, during which they function as full-time attorneys with responsibilities for meeting clients, drafting pleadings and other filings and appearing at court hearings. At the present time, associates can choose to serve their externship at the following pro bono organizations:
- Her Justice - Her Justice provides legal services to indigent women and children in New York City in the areas of matrimonial, family and immigration law.
- MFY Legal Services, Inc. - MFY provides free legal assistance to residents of New York City on a wide range of civil legal issues, prioritizing services to vulnerable and under-served populations.
- Washington Lawyers' Committee - The Washington Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights and Urban Affairs was established in 1968 to provide pro bono legal services to address discrimination and entrenched poverty in the Washington, DC community.
We have been honored by the numerous awards we have received for excellence in our commitment to the community, including:
- Wilkie has been named the winner of Human Rights First's 2017 Marvin Frankel Award for its "oustanding pro bono service to refugees and asylum seekers."
- The Federal Bar Council recognized Mary Eaton as the 2017 recipient of the Thurgood marshall Award for Exceptional Commitment to Pro Bono Service.
- The New York State Bar Association recognized 33 Willkie attorneys in its 2016 Empire State Counsel Spotlight Edition of Pro Bono News, which recognizes members of the NYSBA who devoted more than 50 hours to pro bono legal services in 2016.
- Her Justice honored Willkie attorneys with a 2017 Commitment to Justice Award for their outstanding representation of a pro bono client in a domestic abuse case.
- On February 12, 2017, litigation associate Shaimaa Hussein was named "Litigator of the Week" by the American Lawyer for her role as part of a Willkie team that successfully reunited a 12-year-old Iranian national with her mother at JFK airport.