2022 Vault Rankings
- New York#15
At a Glance
“Strong teaching culture and plethora of mentors.”
“Real, substantive work from the start.”
“Sometimes weird hours due to time differences.”
About White & Case LLP
Founded at the dawn of the 20th century, White & Case has grown from its New York beginnings to become a truly global law firm. The firm has 44 offices across 30 countries—including eight in the U.S.—and is well known for its experience handling cross-border and multi-jurisdictional cases and transactions.
Big Apple Roots
Using their own savings accounts, Justin DuPratt White and George B. Case opened their eponymous firm in downtown Manhattan in 1901, profiting quickly thanks to their relationship with Henry P. Davison, a prominent financier who became a senior partner at JP Morgan & Company. Thus, White & Case’s first clients were entities that had been formed or financed by JP Morgan. White & Case also advised White’s alma mater, Cornell University. In 1926, the firm opened its first foreign office in Paris—the beginning of the firm’s international expansion that continues today.
A Longtime Pioneer and the Original International Law Firm
White & Case is renowned for its track record and extensive experience in global M&A, finance, antitrust, arbitration, and financial restructuring and insolvency. Today, the firm’s client roster includes 75 percent of the Global Fortune 100, 25 percent of the Fortune 500, startups, governments, sovereigns, and state-owned entities.
The firm works across two dozen practice areas, from antitrust/competition to white collar/investigations. Among the 17 industries it works in are consumer products, financial institutions, manufacturing and industrial, media, mining and metals, oil and gas, pharmaceuticals and health care, power, private equity, real estate, technology, and more.
White & Case pioneered the international law firm model and has long been a leader in the expansion into emerging markets, often helping to create and write the laws of new jurisdictions. With cross-border expertise and multi-office teams composed of local, U.S., and English-qualified lawyers, the firm is well positioned to continue its ambitious growth trajectory, focusing on some of the world’s most respected and well-established banks and businesses, as well as startups and sector disruptors.
The firm’s global mindset extends to its practice, and lawyers are encouraged to explore opportunities to work abroad. Associates at White & Case have opportunities to pursue temporary assignments abroad, international client secondments, and long-term opportunities at one of the firm’s overseas offices.
Diversity and Inclusion: A Track Record of Success and Ambitious Plans
A regular in Vault’s diversity rankings, White & Case is a recognized a leader in the DEI space. The firm has also achieved Mansfield Certification Plus in recognition of its achievements, including reaching at least 30 percent diverse lawyer representation in a number of current leadership roles and committees.
The firm is home to six active affinity groups in the U.S.—Alianza, the Hispanic American network; the Asian Affinity Network; the Black Affinity Network; the Middle Eastern Affinity Network; and Spectrum, the LGBT+ Affinity Network.
News & Awards
- White & Case advised joint stock company Kaspi.kz, the largest payments, marketplace and fintech ecosystem in Kazakhstan, on its initial public offering of global depositary receipts on the London Stock Exchange (LSE). Total value of the offering amounted to US$1 billion.
- White & Case achieved victory in the Delaware Court of Chancery for Anthem, Inc. in a trial against former merger partner Cigna, as the Court determined that Cigna breached the US$54 billion merger agreement, and relieved Anthem of the obligation to pay the US$1.85 billion contractual termination fee. Anthem also defeated each of Cigna’s claims.
- White & Case advised Flying Eagle Acquisition Corp. (NYSE: FEAC), a special purpose acquisition company (SPAC), on its US$3.5 billion business combination with Skillz Inc., a mobile gaming platform based in California.
- White & Case advised Neoen on the development and project financing of the 460 MWDC Western Downs Green Power Hub in southeast Queensland, Australia. It will be Australia’s largest solar farm, with the capacity to power 235,000 homes.
- 24 Band 1 U.S. rankings, 2021—Chambers & Partners
- #1 ranking by value for Global M&A, H1 2021—Thomson Reuters
- #7 ranked overall firm in the American Lawyer’s Diversity Scorecard, 2021 (8th consecutive year earning top 10 ranks)
- #1 Most Innovative Law firm in North America, 2020—The Financial Times
- Top 10 Firm for Associate Satisfaction and Career Development, 2021—Chambers Associate
1221 Avenue of the Americas
New York, NY 10020
Phone: (212) 819-8200
Chair: Hugh Verrier
Hiring Partner: Joseph Brazil
Total No. Attorneys (2021):
2K - 2.5K
No. of Partners Named 2021:
1st year: $205,000
2nd year: $215,000
3rd year: $240,000
4th year: $275,000
5th year: $305,000
6th year: $330,000
7th year: $350,000
8th year: $365,000
Summer Associate: $3,950/week
Kasey M. Stein
Associate Director, Americas Campus Recruiting
No. of U.S. Offices: 8
No. of International Offices: 37
Los Angeles, CA
New York, NY
Silicon Valley, CA
Washington, DC I Abu Dhabi
Employment, Compensation and Benefits
Financial Restructuring and Insolvency
Mergers & Acquisitions
*See firm website for complete list of practice areas and industries.