At a Glance
“Plenty of work with responsibility, rather than meaningless busy work.”
“Inability to plan your workflow.”
About Venable LLP
The venerable, mono-monikered Venable is a titan of the mid-Atlantic I-95 corridor (where seven of its nine offices are located) and is home to nearly 800 lawyers. Venable complements a conventional BigLaw practice with Beltway-specific work.
A Morphing Midsized Regional
Call it a victory for career services: Venable, Baetjer & Howard was formed in 1900 when Richard Venable, a law professor in Baltimore, partnered with two of his former students. The firm has grown substantially since the millennium, thanks largely to a series of mergers to bolster its Beltway contingent, tech offerings, and litigation department. These changes landed the firm two locations in California and one in New York. And in 2018, the firm bolstered its IP practice by merging with Fitzpatrick, Cella, Harper & Scinto, doubling its NYC presence.
Venable specializes in corporate and business law, complex litigation, intellectual property, and government affairs. The firm’s litigation practice carries a particularly heavy workload in products liability, toxic torts, and environmental law cases, with corporate defense being the group’s overwhelming forte. They’ve defended entities as widely varied as Wal-Mart, Merck, ExxonMobil, Perdue Farms, and Ford Motor Co.
The firm has a strong IP team that focuses on a range of areas, including copyrights, domain names, ITC matters, licensing, litigation, patents, trade secrets, trademarks, and unfair competition. Many of its attorneys are armed with technical degrees—from applied molecular biology and biochemistry to computer engineering and electrical engineering to molecular genetics and organic chemistry, and more—and some served as USPTO examiners before coming to the firm.
With an eye toward helping early-stage companies, Venable has developed Venable Venture Services, which helps startups with all of their multidisciplinary needs. Among areas the firm counsels on are corporate structure, employment issues, financing, IP transactions and counseling, and regulatory issues.
Venable is no slouch when it comes to political experience—the firm’s past and current attorneys include a U.S. attorney general, a DC attorney general, two Maryland deputy attorneys general, four members of the Senate (Arkansas, Indiana, and two from Maryland), four members of the House (California, Arkansas, Maryland, and Michigan), a former head of the DEA, a secretary of transportation, an administrator for the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, and eleven federal judges.
Perhaps most noteworthy among Venable’s who’s-who are Francis Murnaghan, who sat on the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals for 21 years, and Senator Paul Sarbanes, who co-sponsored the Sarbanes-Oxley Act and is father to John Sarbanes—a 17-year veteran of Venable and current member of the House.
News & Awards
In the May 2019 edition of The Legal 500 for the United States, Venable LLP was ranked in 14 practice areas, including Tier 1 in the following two categories: Tax—Not-for-Profit (Fortune 1000 private foundations, and national trade associations and charities) and M&A/Corporate and Commercial—M&A: Middle-Market (sub-$500m). In addition, 60 attorneys were ranked and six attorneys were named “Leading Lawyers.”
In April 2019, Chambers USA released its 2019 list of law firm and attorney rankings in the United States. This year, 58 Venable attorneys and 21 practice groups were ranked at the state and national levels.
In November 2018, The Venable Foundation Inc., the philanthropic arm of the law firm Venable LLP, awarded $105,000 in grants benefiting three DC-based women’s organizations that empower and support the healing of women and young girls who are survivors of sexual abuse, domestic violence, and human trafficking. FAIR Girls, House of Ruth, and My Sister’s Place each received a $35,000 grant.
In November 2017, The Venable Foundation, Inc., the philanthropic arm of the law firm Venable LLP, awarded a one-time impact grant of $750,000 benefiting five legal aid organizations in the firm’s respective communities, including Baltimore; Los Angeles; New York; San Francisco; and Washington, DC. The following grant recipients received $150,000: Bay Area Legal Aid, Legal Aid Society of the District of Columbia, Legal Aid Foundation of Los Angeles, The Legal Aid Society—New York, and Maryland Legal Aid.
- Venable achieved victory for Taylor Swift and members of her management team in a civil lawsuit brought against them by a former radio disc jockey over an incident that occurred at a 2013 promotional event.
- Venable represents the estate of Robert Indiana, the American pop artist best known for his “LOVE” design, in complex litigation in the Southern District of New York over the protection of his artistic legacy.
- Venable represented Vectura Ltd. in a winning lawsuit brought against GlaxoSmithKline LLC and Glaxo Group Ltd. (GSK) for infringing a patent covering three important GSK medications.
- Venable served as deal counsel to private equity fund GenRock Capital Management in its acquisition of four restaurant franchise groups consisting of 190 restaurants and 41 parcels of related real estate.
- In 2019, Venable was named a Lawyers of Color Diversity & Inclusion Leader.
- In 2019, Venable was recognized by The American Lawyer as a “Top Firm” for Diversity.
- In 2019, Venable was recognized by Yale Law Women in Its Top Ten Firms for Gender Equity and Family Friendliness Report.
- In 2018, the DC Breastfeeding Coalition recognized Venable’s DC office with the Silver Level Award during its Breastfeeding-Friendly Workplace Awards.
- In 2018, Venable received top honors from LCLD for its diversity and inclusion efforts.
600 Massachusetts Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20001
Phone: (202) 344-4000
Managing Partners: Lawrence H. Gesner & Daniel P. Moylan
Hiring Partner: Robert J. Bolger
Total No. Attorneys 2019:
750 - 1K
1st year: $190,000
Summer associate: $3,650/week
No. of Summer Associates:
57 total (52 2Ls; 5 1Ls) (2019)
Senior Director of Legal Personnel & Attorney Recruiting
Los Angeles, CA
New York, NY
San Francisco, CA
Tysons Corner, VA
Washington, DC (HQ)
Corporate Law & Business Transactions
Government & Regulatory Affairs
Technology & Intellectual Property
*See firm website for complete list of practice areas and industries.