2021 Vault Rankings
At a Glance
“People are generally friendly and helpful.”
“We have interesting clients and exciting work.”
“Work is not distributed evenly.”
“The lack of transparency.”
“Compensation is under market.”
About Venable LLP
The venerable, mono-monikered Venable is a titan of the mid-Atlantic I-95 corridor (where seven of its nine offices are located) and is home to nearly 800 lawyers. Venable complements a conventional BigLaw practice with Beltway-specific work.
A Morphing Midsized Regional
Call it a victory for career services: Venable, Baetjer & Howard was formed in 1900 when Richard Venable, a law professor in Baltimore, partnered with two of his former students. The firm has grown substantially since the millennium, thanks largely to a series of mergers to bolster its Beltway contingent, tech offerings, and litigation department. These changes landed the firm two locations in California and one in New York. And in 2018, the firm bolstered its IP practice by merging with Fitzpatrick, Cella, Harper & Scinto, doubling its NYC presence.
Venable specializes in corporate and business law, complex litigation, intellectual property, and government affairs. The firm’s Litigation practice carries a particularly heavy workload in products liability, toxic torts, and environmental law cases, with corporate defense being the group’s overwhelming forte. They’ve defended entities as widely varied as Wal-Mart, Merck, ExxonMobil, Perdue Farms, and Ford Motor Co.
The firm has a strong IP team that focuses on a range of areas, including copyrights, domain names, ITC matters, licensing, litigation, patents, trade secrets, trademarks, and unfair competition. Many of its attorneys are armed with technical degrees—from applied molecular biology and biochemistry to computer engineering and electrical engineering to molecular genetics and organic chemistry, and more—and some served as USPTO examiners before coming to the firm.
With an eye toward helping early-stage companies, Venable has developed Venable Venture Services, which helps startups with all of their multidisciplinary needs. Among areas the firm counsels on are corporate structure, employment issues, financing, IP transactions and counseling, and regulatory issues.
Venable is no slouch when it comes to political experience—the firm’s past and current attorneys include a U.S. attorney general, a DC attorney general, two Maryland deputy attorneys general, four members of the Senate (Arkansas, Indiana, and two from Maryland), four members of the House (California, Arkansas, Maryland, and Michigan), a former head of the DEA, a secretary of transportation, an administrator for the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, and 11 federal judges.
Perhaps most noteworthy among Venable’s who’s-who are Francis Murnaghan, who sat on the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals for 21 years, and Senator Paul Sarbanes, who co-sponsored the Sarbanes-Oxley Act and is father to John Sarbanes—a 17-year veteran of Venable and current member of the House.
News & Awards
Venable added three leading complex commercial litigators to its growing national Commercial Litigation practice in the San Francisco office. John S. Worden and Jean-Paul Cart, formerly of Schiff Hardin LLP, joined the firm as partners. In addition, Steven E. Swaney joined the firm as counsel.
Venable elected 12 attorneys to the firm partnership. The new partners—from Venable's Baltimore; Los Angeles; New York; San Francisco; Tysons; and Washington, DC, offices—are emerging leaders from a broad cross section of the firm's practice groups, including Commercial Litigation, Corporate, Environmental, Intellectual Property, Political Law, Real Estate, Tax and Wealth Planning, and Zoning and Land Use.
Venable promoted 18 attorneys to counsel. The new counsels—from Venable's Baltimore; Los Angeles; New York; Towson; Tysons; and Washington, DC, offices—represent a broad cross section from the firm's four divisions: Business, Government, Intellectual Property, and Litigation.
The Venable Foundation, Inc., the philanthropic arm of Venable, awarded the Maryland Food Bank (MFB), the largest charitable food provider in Maryland, a grant of $100,000. The grant will support MFB's food distribution operations, technology upgrades, and Lawyers' Campaign Against Hunger, which is an annual fundraiser to distribute meals.
- On behalf of FCA US LLC, Venable asserted claims in the U.S. International Trade Commission seeking to exclude certain motorized vehicles and components thereof that are imported, sold for importation, or sold after importation by Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd of India and Mahindra Automotive North America, Inc.
- Venable’s team provided comprehensive legal support to Mike Bloomberg’s 2020 presidential campaign. The firm advised on a range of day-to-day issues impacting the campaign, including campaign finance, ballot access, voter access, content and advertisement review, and vendor contracts.
- Venable LLP represented JBG Smith Properties in its plans to redevelop buildings in National Landing in Arlington County.
- 59 Venable attorneys and 23 practice groups were ranked at the state and national levels, 2020—Chambers USA
- Tax - Not-for-Profit (nonprofit and tax-exempt organizations) (Tier 1); M&A/Corporate and Commercial - M&A: Middle-Market (sub-$500m) (Tier 1), 2020—Legal 500
- Hatch-Waxman Patent Litigation, Patent Prosecution, Product Liability & Recall, General Patent Litigation, Patent Strategy & Management, 2020—LMG Life Sciences
- IP Litigation, Prosecution, Transactions, 2020—IAM Patent 1000 – The World’s Leading Patent Professionals
- Trademark, 2020—World Trademark Review 1000: The World's Leading Trademark Professionals
600 Massachusetts Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20001
Phone: (202) 344-4000
Managing Partners: Lawrence H. Gesner & Daniel P. Moylan
Hiring Partner: Robert J. Bolger
Total No. Attorneys 2021:
750 - 1K
No. of Partners Named 2020:
1st year: $190,000
Summer Associate: $3,650/week
Melissa N. Meyer
Director of Associate Recruiting
No. of U.S. Offices: 8
No. of International Offices: 0
Los Angeles, CA
New York, NY
San Francisco, CA
Tysons Corner, VA
Washington, DC (HQ)
Corporate Law & Business Transactions
Government & Regulatory Affairs
Technology & Intellectual Property
*See firm website for complete list of practice areas and industries.