2022 Vault Rankings
About Troutman Pepper
In July 2020, Atlanta-based Troutman Sanders joined forces with Philadelphia-native Pepper Hamilton to form Troutman Pepper Hamilton Sanders LLP. The firm is home to more than 1,100 lawyers across 23 U.S. cities.
Cheesesteaks & Peaches
Troutman Sanders was founded at the tail end of the 1800s in Atlanta. In the intervening 100+ years, the firm has grown primarily through mergers, which have given it a nationwide footprint.
Pepper Hamilton was launched more than 125 years ago in the City of Brotherly Love, where it strictly remained for 80 years. In the second half of the 20th century, the firm began branching out from its Philadelphia roots, establishing offices around the U.S.—a steady expansion that included some mergers.
In 2020, the firms merged, creating a megafirm with more than 25 domestic offices. The firm's leadership brings together the legacy firms, with Steve Lewis of legacy Troutman Sanders serving as chair and Tom Gallagher of legacy Pepper Hamilton serving as vice chair.
Troutman Pepper lawyers work across more than 20 practice areas. Among the industries it serves are construction, energy, finance, health sciences, insurance, private equity, real estate, and technology.
The firm is home to a bustling corporate and securities practice. Through its Troutman Pepper SEED™ Program, the firm works with startups as they launch their businesses, offering legal counseling and access to basic legal documents, as well as mentoring on board development, business plan development, and investor relations. The program offers participants an alternative fee structure.
Like many large firms with presences in DC and big-time clients, Troutman Pepper has a “government relations” arm. Troutman Pepper Strategies is a stand-alone firm that assists the clients of its law firm sibling with consulting and lobbying services on issues including agriculture, energy and environment, insurance and health care, appropriations and project funding, telecommunications and technology, and transportation and infrastructure. Troutman Pepper Strategies has offices in four cities: Atlanta; Washington, DC; Raleigh; and Richmond.
Troutman Pepper lawyers are offered a plethora of training resources, starting with its Entry-Level Associate Academy for junior associates. Lawyers continue to receive formal training through the firm's Attorney Professional Training Program, which includes training at the firmwide and practice-area levels. The firm also embraces the value of informal training, encouraging lawyers to learn on the job alongside senior lawyers and also to develop client skills by interacting with clients early on.
The firm is also focused on creating an inclusive environment—a priority that both legacy firms brought to the table. According to the firm, both Pepper Hamilton and Troutman Sanders had been long-time participants in the Human Rights Campaign’s Corporate Equality Index, each scoring 100 percent.
Even before Troutman Pepper was formed in July 2020, our legacy firms implemented a comprehensive plan to successfully navigate the COVID crisis, and the firm has performed extremely well throughout the pandemic. Our focus has remained on the health and welfare of our people and their families, as well as keeping the firm strong and well-positioned to continue serving our clients at the highest level. Achieving that higher commitment to client care requires recruiting law students and attorneys who are passionate about developing satisfying and collaborative relationships with the clients they serve, and we know that diverse teams generate better and more creative solutions. The firm continues to prioritize the health and safety of our people and candidates while working to increase the diversity of our candidate pool and new hires through a variety of innovative recruitment efforts. In 2021, we implemented a hybrid format summer program, utilizing many of the tools and tactics we’ve taken advantage of during the pandemic to create unique and meaningful virtual interactions, while also offering in person opportunities for both in-office work and social events.
News & Awards
- Legacy Pepper Hamilton represented United Egg Producers in an antitrust case alleging a price-fixing conspiracy brought by 12 major grocery store chains. A jury rejected all claims, giving the firm’s client a complete win.
- Legacy Pepper Hamilton represented TELA Bio, Inc. in an IPO of four million shares to raise $60 million. TELA Bio is a commercial-stage medical technology company that designs and develops tissue reinforcement materials used in soft tissue reconstruction.
- Attorneys in legacy Troutman Sanders’ Multifamily Housing Finance practice have handled major portfolio transactions, including serving as lender’s counsel for Holliday, Fenoglio, Fowler, L.P. on its $800.45 million portfolio refinancing through Freddie Mac.
- Legacy Troutman Sanders defended a suit brought by a minority of the grandchildren of deceased Atlanta businessman O. W. Rollins challenging the management of several established trusts with assets valued at over $1 billion. After nine years of litigation and three different trial judges, the team achieved a favorable settlement.
- Healthcare Law Firm of the Year, 2019, 2018, 2017—Americas M&A Atlas Awards [Pepper]
- Construction Law Firm of the Year, 2018—Chambers USA [Pepper]
- “Law Firm of the Year – Energy Law,” 2020 U.S. News—Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms” [Troutman]
- Project Finance Practice Group of the Year, 2019—Law360 [Troutman]
- “Best Place to Work for LGBTQ Equality,” 2020 Corporate Equality Index, Human Rights Campaign Foundation [Pepper and Troutman]
600 Peachtree Street
Atlanta, GA 30308
Chair: Steve Lewis
Vice Chair: Tom Gallagher
Hiring Partners: Tambry Bradford (West Coast), Jeffrey Carr (Mid-Atlantic), Stephanie Greer Fulcher (North Carolina), Maia Harris (New York, Boston), Kimberly Hargrove (DC), MollyDiRago (Chicago, Detroit), Stephen Piepgrass (Virginia), Sara Richman (Philadelphia), Brian Watt (Atlanta)
Total No. Attorneys (2021):
1K - 1.5K
No. of Partners Named 2021:
A total contribution-hours target of 2,000 hours.
1st year: Starting salaries fall between $125,000 and $190,000, based on the local market.
Nicole J. Archibald
Director of Legal Talent Acquisition
No. of U.S. Offices: 23
No. of International Offices: 0
Los Angeles, CA
New York, NY
Orange County, CA
San Diego, CA
San Francisco, CA
Silicon Valley, CA
Virginia Beach, VA
Capital Projects & Infrastructure
Consumer Financial Services
Environmental & Natural Resources
Finance & Restructuring -
Government & Regulatory
Health Sciences Intellectual Property
Health Sciences Litigation
Health Sciences Transactions
Insurance & Reinsurance
Labor & Employment
Lobbying & Public Affairs
Multifamily Housing Finance
Tax & Benefits
White Collar & Government Investigations
*See firm website for complete list of practice areas and industries.