Established in Dallas in 1887, Thompson & Knight has been at the forefront of groundbreaking litigation and transactions that have historically shaped the legal and business communities in Texas and the Southwest. With more than 300 attorneys in the U.S., Mexico, Europe, and North Africa and nine offices that strategically tie to the Firm’s core practices, Thompson & Knight maintains its influence today. In 2018, Thompson & Knight was ranked among the top firms in the United States in 27 areas of law in U.S. News - Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms,” and our attorneys handled client matters in more than 65 countries worldwide.
Thompson & Knight recognizes that Associate integration and development is critical to the long-term success of the Firm as a whole. We provide ongoing, customized training for entry-level, mid-level, and senior Associates to help them develop skills that will make them successful Partners. Our goal is to facilitate growth at every stage so that each TK Associate reaches his/her full potential.
“One thing that sets Thompson & Knight apart is its investment in attorneys. The Firm really believes in preparing its younger attorneys to become leaders in the Firm and strives to help associates develop their practices and the skills necessary to build lasting careers.
- Jasmine S. Wynton, Associate
TK’s Practice Managers coordinate with the Firm’s Partners on the assignment of work projects to ensure Associates are fully utilized and challenged, while also protecting their quality of life. Each Associate is also designated a Partner mentor to personally guide him/her through every stage of his/her career.
“The senior attorneys are truly interested in mentoring and supporting the next generation of TK lawyers, and the Firm allows you to get substantive, interesting work experience and client interaction from very early on in your career.”
- Craig Carpenter, Associate
Whether you’re a law student or an experienced lateral, you’ll find we offer a host of challenging and rewarding professional opportunities as well as all of the resources you need to begin and build your practice.
At Thompson & Knight, it’s all about the people. The people are what make us the sophisticated, collaborative, and collegial Firm we are.
“The best thing about working at Thompson & Knight is the people. It is special to be able to work with such intelligent and accomplished professionals who are also caring and down to earth.
- Dasha K. Hodge, Associate
With a reputation for superior service and value, our clients know us as business-minded, proactive, relentless, and results-oriented. We hire and invest in the highest quality of people and value diversity of talent, thought, and practices.
“You will be shocked at how much talent resides within TK. It will help you take your practice to the next level.”
- Phillip G. Oldham, Partner
“I have worked with Thompson & Knight for many years, and the Firm consistently provides exceptional client service. Their depth of experience and sharp focus on our specific needs is why I enjoy our business relationship.”
- Thompson & Knight Client
Thompson & Knight is recognized and respected for the legal skills and practical judgment we offer clients across many industries and practices. Some of these clients include:
- The world’s largest real estate investment trust
- One of the world’s three largest telecommunications companies
- Two of the top three largest medical device companies in the world
- Eight of the 10 largest U.S. oil and gas exploration and production companies
- Eight of the top 10 largest U.S. banks
- Six of the top 10 chemical producers in the world
- Four of the largest U.S. airlines
- Four of the eight largest automakers in the world
- Three of the largest U.S. for-proﬁt hospital chains
The Firm takes particular pride in its depth of experience in the energy industry. Thompson & Knight was named “Law Firm of the Year” in Natural Resources Law (2018) and in Oil & Gas Law (2011-2013, 2015, 2017) by U.S. News – Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms.”
Our culture – the key reason for our success – emphasizes teamwork and an unparalleled commitment to excellence. We are dedicated to developing and maintaining a diverse and inclusive environment to enhance our delivery of outstanding legal services and value to our clients. Proof of that commitment is reflected in our numbers:
- 13 diverse and female attorneys hold practice group and Firm leadership positions
- 60% of Associates are women and/or self-identify as ethnically or LGBTQ diverse
- 53% of recent laterals and new hires are women and/or self-identify as ethnically or LGBTQ diverse
- 40% of Management Committee members are women and/or self-identify as ethnically diverse
- 63% of attorneys elected to non-equity Partner in 2019 are women and/or self-identify as LGBTQ diverse; one promoted woman was previously a part-time Associate.
Our Women’s Initiative Group focuses on developing mentoring relationships and marketing opportunities and hosts regular events for female attorneys and clients alike. Through the LGBTK Affinity Group, the Firm is building a stronger sense of community among our LGBTQ attorneys and allies to guide their advancement and careers.
The Firm’s reputation and approach to client service supports a long-standing history of strong economics and consistent financial performance as well as a desire to remain independent in the face of a changing and consolidating legal environment. We are proud of what we have accomplished and look forward to our future.