Located in 22 financial capitals across the globe, Skadden attorneys advise clients on many of their most important and complex matters, the types of deals and cases that earn headlines, move markets and shape the law.
Working on such significant matters will accelerate your development, placing you ahead of the curve by preparing you with the breadth of knowledge necessary to understand clients' business strategies and find solutions to their most challenging legal dilemmas. The experience gained and impact made at Skadden will create ripple effects that will last your entire career. Let's begin to carve your path.
- Named a 2019 Law360Firm of the Year for receiving Practice Group of the Year awards in six categories: Benefits, Energy, Mergers & Acquisitions, Securities, Sports & Betting, and Tax
- Selected for the 2019 Global M&A Deal of the Year at The American LawyerIndustry Awards, for representation of Twenty-First Century Fox, Inc. in its $71.3 billion acquisition by the Walt Disney Company.
- Named the 2020 U.S. News — Best LawyersLaw Firm of the Year for Mergers and Acquisitions Litigation and for Securities Litigation as part of the publication’s Best Law Firms survey.
- For the nine consecutive years, named to The BTI Consulting Group’s list of top litigation law firms, The BTI Fearsome Foursome. The firm also was named a Powerhouse for Securities and Finance Litigation. Skadden is the only firm named to both lists in every edition of the BTI Litigation Outlook.
- Selected for the most Transatlantic Legal Awards for the third year in a row by The American Lawyer and Legal Week, in June 2019. Skadden received awards for Transatlantic Antitrust Team of the Year, Transatlantic Investigations Team of the Year and Transatlantic Restructuring Team of the Year.
A Culture of Lifelong Learning
Skadden provides attorneys with specialized training specifically tailored to their experience level throughout their careers — from summer associates to associates to partners to Skadden “alums." Our training programs are designed to give our attorneys the skills, support and mentorship they need to work on our clients' most complex challenges. Our training curriculum reflects our commitment to our most valuable assets — our attorneys.
- Junior associates participate in our full-time Associates’ Comprehensive Education (ACE) program, which provides Skadden-specific legal- and business-skills training during their first few months at the firm.
- Mid-level associates focus on client service, networking, finance, management and professional practice.
- Senior associates and counsel are provided opportunities to enhance their leadership skills, communication and presentation styles, client service abilities, mentoring, marketing and business development strategies, and networking efforts.
- Diversity, Equity and Inclusion is a core value of the firm, which we support with education and training at all experience levels. Workshops and lecture topics include racial equity, identifying and interrupting unconscious bias, leading inclusive teams, cross-cultural awareness and fostering belonging and allyship.
- Our Business Development Academy, for all attorneys, builds competencies essential for leveraging legal skills into internal and external opportunities. The programs focus on successful networking, deepening client relationships, and understanding, assessing and addressing client needs.
- Skadden alumni are invited to networking and reunion events and are offered CLE programs through the firm that assist them in maintaining their legal skills and empower them to advance throughout their careers.
- The firm recognizes that attorneys can further develop legal skills through involvement in nonbillable matters that support both Skadden and the communities we serve. The following efforts therefore also count towards the firm's hours target:
- pro bonowork, without limit on total hours
- "shadowing" senior attorneys, for junior associates up to 100 hours
- up to 150 nonbillable “productive hours” credit, which includes up to 50 hours for efforts to support our overall diversity, equity and inclusion, and recruiting activities.
- As our attorneys gain more exposure to their practices, many work with the firm's career counselors and coaches, staffed both internally and externally, to strategize about their next steps. Whether associates choose to build their practices at Skadden, transition in-house with a client or to a federal agency, join a start-up, or embark on something entirely different, the firm's partners, coaches and counselors can serve as a tremendous resource.
Why Work Here?
At Skadden, you'll work on the type of bet-the-company cases and deals that will be featured in future law school case books.
But don't just take our word for it. Skadden is a veteran member of The American Lawyer's "A-List" rankings of the "most successful" law firms, based on associate satisfaction, pro bono commitment, revenue per lawyer and diversity among lawyers.
Why else do associates enjoy working at Skadden?
- Benefits: The firm provides a variety of programs and benefits, including parental leave, domestic partner health and tax gross-up benefits, back-up child care, a reduced-hours program, a flexible maternity leave program, our Sidebar sabbatical program, discounted gym memberships and technology allowances.
- Flexibility: With 22 offices around the world and more than 50 practice areas, Skadden maintains a global presence that affords us the ability to try to accommodate attorneys' interests in transferring locations and practice areas to satisfy professional and personal interests.
- Professional development: In addition to our formal mentoring program, you'll have day-to-day interactions with many of the leading attorneys in your field. Our Attorney Development Partners and Training Committees ensure that associates receive relevant training and mentoring at all levels. The firm's Career Development Program offers career programming and counseling from internal and external resources, and notifies attorneys about professional opportunities with clients.
- Attorney Affinity Networks:Our affinity networks for attorneys who self-identify as women, people of color, LGBTQ+, military veterans and/or parents, and allies to those communities, facilitate relationship-building and provide an additional forum for professional and leadership development for associates and counsel. All of our affinity networks play a key role in the firm’s law student recruitment, attorney mentoring, career development, workplace inclusion and social responsibility objectives. The affinity networks are open to all attorneys who are interested in participating.
- Well-Being: Skadden is committed to creating a culture and tone that supports mental health, substance abuse and overall well-being. Our Live Well/Work Well platform offers robust resources and training that focus on four spheres: emotional, financial, physical and social. In addition, we are a signatory to the ABA Well-Being Pledge, highlighting our dedication to improving well-being not only within the firm but across the legal industry. The firm has dedicated resources to this priority by hiring a global head of well-being.
Career Options: Limitless
While many of our attorneys spend their entire careers here, Skadden has served as a springboard for judges, professors, CEOs, general counsel, bankers, journalists, authors, prosecutors and senior members of federal agencies. Often, attorneys return to Skadden after gaining additional experience outside the firm, either through firm-organized externships or secondments, or through endeavors pursued on their own.
Our alumni network links more than 8,000 former Skadden attorneys who connect through our alumni website, online directory and Alumni Update magazine. The directory allows for professional and social networking. We also provide a Career Opportunities Program, where clients post job listings for alums.