Sidley is one of the world’s premier law firms, with a practice highly attuned to the ever-changing international landscape. The firm has built a reputation for being a powerful and insightful legal adviser for global businesses, with more than 2,000 lawyers in 20 offices worldwide. With a more-than-150-year history, we have a long-standing commitment to legal excellence and to delivering successful results for clients in all types of legal matters—from complex transactions to high-profile litigation to innovative regulatory issues to pro bono representations that help those in need. We provide extraordinary opportunities for summer associates and associates to assist our clients with these important matters and to grow professionally in a team-oriented environment with an unparalleled firm culture.
LEADERSHIP IN LAW
We are proud of the range and caliber of the clients we serve. Many of our clients—from financial institutions and investment banks to Fortune 500 companies, hedge funds and private equities—are household names and at the forefront of their respective industries, professions and markets. Our success is born as much out of knowledge of the law as it is out of the strong relationships we build with our clients.
The firm strives to maintain an environment focused on teamwork and cooperation, and values the skills and knowledge that each individual brings to a project. Our lawyers and professional staff collaborate at all levels and treat each other with genuine respect. We believe our culture sets us apart from many other firms and enhances the experience, development and career satisfaction of our lawyers and staff alike.
- 73 Fortune 100 companies were Sidley clients during 2019
- 31 practices ranked Band 1 across Chambers Global and Chambers USA in 2020
- 1 of 3 law firms to be ranked in the BTI Client Service 30 every year since 2001
Our reputation for excellence is built on a foundation of hiring the best people and providing them with outstanding training and support. We are dedicated to enhancing the career satisfaction and ongoing development of our associates and experienced lawyers. In 2020, Chief Learning Officer magazine named Sidley to its annual list of the LearningElite. We have received this prestigious honor every year since the award’s inception in 2011 and remain the only law firm to have earned this recognition.
We invest significant time and resources into recruiting the next generation of Sidley lawyers. Our summer associate program provides individuals an exceptional opportunity to further develop their skills and to gain a realistic view of law firm life while working alongside some of our best and brightest lawyers. Associates who join the firm are offered an attractive and competitive salary and extensive benefits package that provides a variety of choices to meet their needs. Our associates also have access to comprehensive resources to assist them in reaching their professional goals, including programs by an award-winning training team, practice group-sponsored training and individual partner commitment to teaching, mentoring, coaching and career guidance.
Here’s what some of our recent summer associates and associates had to say about what they love about Sidley:
- “I focused on two qualities while evaluating law firms: content and culture. Sidley undeniably works on the most sophisticated, complex content with first-rate clients. Importantly, I chose Sidley because its culture fosters collegiality, excellence and balance. I couldn’t be happier.”
- “Sidley has proven to be a superb place to begin my legal career. The partners at the firm take an interest in helping associates develop their legal skills from day one.”
- “What really struck me was the fact that all of the lawyers I worked with were willing to take the time to provide feedback and mentor. My summer experience confirmed that Sidley is an excellent place for young lawyers.”
A RECORD OF RESULTS
- Law Firm of the Year” in Securities Regulation and FDA Law – 2020 U.S. News – Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms” Survey
- Best Law Firm, Asset Management – 2020 AsianInvestor Asset Management Awards
- 2020 “Firm of the Year” in Capital Markets (Overseas); Corporate Compliance; Healthcare, Pharma and Life Sciences; and Real Estate and REIT – China Business Law Journal
- Asia Pacific Team of the Year: High Yield – 2020 IFLR Asia-Pacific Awards
- 2019 Financial Services Regulation Firm of the Year – Chambers USA Awards
- 2019 “Practice Groups of the Year” in Appellate, International Trade, Life Sciences and Telecommunications – Law360
- “Top Foreign Law Firm” for India-Related Work – India Business Law Journal 2019
- “Firm of the Year” in Data – Security; Life Sciences – Regulatory; and Trade & Customs – 2019 Who's Who Legal Awards
- 2018 Competition & Regulatory Team of the Year – The Lawyer Awards
DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION
Sidley has long been a pioneer in workplace diversity and inclusion initiatives. We are committed to hiring, training, and promoting outstanding lawyers who reflect the global marketplace and communities that we serve. Our ongoing efforts to become a more diverse organization include a Diversity and Inclusion Scholarship for second-year law students, as well as a Prelaw Scholars Initiative, which helps to build the pipeline of diverse lawyers entering the profession. We are also proud to be one of the first law firms to participate in the OnRamp Fellowship, a program designed to facilitate the re-entry of experienced female lawyers into the legal profession after time out of the workplace.
- Perfect 100 score, Human Rights Campaign’s 2020 Corporate Equality Index; “Best Places to Work for LGBT Equality” – Human Rights Campaign
- U.S. and UK Gold Standard Certification, 2020 – Women in Law Empowerment Forum
- 2020 Best Law Firms for Diversity – Vault
- “Best Law Firm for Women” 2019 – Working Mother magazine
- Champions for Disability Inclusion in the Legal Profession Award – American Bar Association Commission on Disability Rights
A TRADITION OF SERVICE
At Sidley, we stand firm in our dedication to advancing the fundamental principles of equality, inclusion, and justice. We are committed to action in support of these principles, including through our pro bono representation, which amounted to more than 148,000 hours of work in 2019. We have also maintained a long-standing commitment to volunteering our time and resources to many causes that assist those in need. This includes working in local schools, colleges and law schools, helping individuals and families who are homeless, providing gifts to needy children over the holidays, and supporting nonprofit and legal services organizations, such as Chicago Cares , New York Cares, United Way, the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association, and Cycle for Survival.