2022 Vault Rankings
At a Glance
“The people–great colleagues.”
“Billing hours is not a fun way to measure your contributions.”
About Seyfarth Shaw LLP
Seyfarth Shaw is home to more than 900 lawyers across 17 offices in the U.S., U.K., Australia, and China. While it is highly regarded for its labor and employment practice, the full-service firm advises on a broad range of legal areas, including litigation, tax, immigration, corporate, real estate, and employee benefits. The firm operates through a distinctive client service model called SeyfarthLean, incorporating the Lean Six Sigma method into its practice.
Seyfarth Shaw’s labor and employment roots run deep. The firm was founded in Chicago in 1945 by Henry E. Seyfarth, Lee C. Shaw, and Owen Fairweather as a labor and employment firm. Its early days saw its attorneys helping draft the Taft-Hartley Act of 1947 and building a strong practice in labor arbitrations, pension matters, and Title VII matters. The firm began expanding across the U.S. in the ’70s with offices in DC, Los Angeles, and New York. Today, the firm has 12 domestic offices and five international offices—including the firm’s new Seattle office, added July 2020.
Seyfarth’s practice spans a variety of key areas, including workouts and bankruptcy, commercial litigation, securities litigation, construction, corporate, employee benefits, environmental, government contracts, intellectual property, real estate, trade secrets, trusts and estates, and—its specialty—labor and employment. Its clients range from Fortune 100 to midsize companies to startups and include publicly traded and privately held companies, as well as various types of funds. Seyfarth clients hail from a variety of industries, including financial institutions, newspapers and other media, technology, hotels, health care organizations and airlines.
Seyfarth has one of the largest U.S. Labor & Employment practice in a full-service firm. With more than 400 attorneys in this practice alone, the firm advises in a wide range of areas, including employment discrimination, international employment law, OSHA/MSHA, wage and hour litigation, ERISA, California Labor Code litigation, and much more. The firm is skilled in handling labor matters and regularly appears before the NLRB, SCOTUS, the National Mediation Board, state labor boards, and labor arbitrators. The firm consistently ranks among the top five in Vault’s Labor & Employment ranking.
Customized Career Paths
As is fitting for a firm that isn’t afraid to innovate, Seyfarth’s promotion and development structure has moved away from the traditional lockstep model. As associates, attorneys are compensated and advanced based on their individual merits and at varying rates—which could be either faster or slower than with a class year model, depending on the circumstances. The firm’s professional services group offers another alternative for attorneys by tailoring arrangements according to each attorney’s legal skill level, their desired time commitment, and overall total contribution aspirations.
Seyfarth responded to the COVID-19 crisis by launching the Belonging Project. Through this, we are offering opportunities and programs to support diverse law students and lawyers during the pandemic. This initiative contributes to diversity in the legal profession and encourages others to contribute and leverage their expertise and resources. We offer webinars focused on professional and personal development, one-on-one coaching, and a curated resource center devoted to well-being and professional growth.
News & Awards
- Beginning with Seyfarth’s efforts to help draft the Taft-Hartley Act of 1947, the firm earned a reputation for serving clients at the forefront of labor negotiations. Continuing this tradition over the years, the firm expanded its leadership position and invested time and effort into building expertise across areas of emerging risk for its clients that grew from labor arbitrations, pension administration, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and disability discrimination.
- Seyfarth obtained a victory in a recent Supreme Court case which held that employers may require employees to enter into an arbitration agreement containing a waiver of the ability to participate in a class or collective action against an employer.
- Seyfarth prevailed in unanimous decision by the Supreme Court in a case under the Dodd–Frank Act regarding the definition and application of the term “whistleblower” under the Act. The Court held that whistleblowing employees seeking to sue for retaliation under the Act must provide notice to the SEC before suing their employer.
- Mansfield Rule 4.0 Certified, 2021—Diversity Lab
- Gold Standard Certification, 2021—Women in Law Empowerment Forum
- Perfect Score in Corporate Equality Index for 13 Consecutive Years
- “Practice Group of the Year,” Employment Law, 2020—Law360
- Recognized by the Financial Times as one of the world’s most innovative law firms for 10 Consecutive Years
233 South Wacker Drive
Chicago, IL 60606
Phone: (312) 460-5000
Chair and Managing Partner: Peter C. Miller
Hiring Attorneys: Steven Kennedy (Atlanta); Ariel Cudkowicz and Kristin McGurn (Boston); Frederick Smith and Eric Sidman (Charlotte); Cory Hirsch and Tracy Billows (Chicago); Mark Coffin (Houston); Nick Waddles (LA - Century City), Aaron Lubeley and Richard Mendelson (LA - Downtown); Lorie Almon and John Napoli (NY); Kristina Launey (Sacramento); Christian Rowley (SF); Denice Tokunaga and Thomas Wybenga (Seattle), Christa Dommers and Leon Rodriguez (DC)
Total No. Attorneys (2021):
750 - 1K
No. of Partners Named 2021:
Boston; Century City; Chicago; Los Angeles; San Francisco; Seattle; Washington, DC
1st year: $165,000
Summer Associate: $3,173/week New York
1st year: $180,000
Summer Associate: $3,461/week Atlanta, Charlotte, Houston
1st year: $160,000
Summer Associate: $3,076/week Sacramento
1st year: $150,000
Summer Associate: $2,884/week
National Director of Legal Recruiting
No. of U.S. Offices: 12
No. of International Offices: 5
Century City, CA
Los Angeles, CA
New York, NY
San Francisco, CA
Washington, DC I Hong Kong
Labor and Employment
*See firm website for complete list of practice areas and industries.