2020 Vault Rankings
At a Glance
“The lack of formal dress code and face-time requirements.”
"Early opportunities to get substantive experience.”
"Higher-than-average billable-hour requirement.”
“The hours can be tough.”
About Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan, LLP
Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan, LLP has been cultivating the persona of an eccentric genius—shocking the often-staid (OK, uptight) legal world with its unorthodox approach while awing them with sweeping successes in the courtroom. This global litigation firm has always had its own style: partners wear flip-flops, many cases go through an in-house mock trial system before they go to trial, and the firm eschews work from Wall Street banks because they can earn more by suing large financial institutions than by catering to them. Importantly, Quinn Emanuel tries lots of cases and walks away with a win more times than not (88 percent, to be exact). Not content with just a high rate of success, Quinn Emanuel also likes to go big, with five 9-figure jury verdicts, more than forty 9-figure settlements, and nineteen 10-figure settlements. It’s no wonder the firm has one of the highest profits per partner.
Young But Mighty
Founded in 1986, Quinn Emanuel is younger than many of its associates. But dealing with legal youth is the specialty of appellate chair Kathleen Sullivan, who previously served as Dean of Stanford Law School. Quinn Emanuel is now firmly established as a go-to counsel for some of the biggest, toughest litigation anywhere. The firm represents many of the world’s leading companies, including IBM, Google, Cisco, Fédération Internationale de Football Association, Qualcomm, Daimler, Sony, Johnson & Johnson, Pfizer, Sony, Hyundai, AIG, and Samsung, to name a few.
Globally, Quinn Emanuel has exported its litigation-only model to 14 offices in 10 countries outside the U.S. In the past decade, the firm has opened international offices in Brussels, Hamburg, Hong Kong, Mannheim, Munich, Paris, Perth, Shanghai, Stuttgart, Sydney, and Zurich.
The No. 1 firm in Vault’s General Commercial Litigation category, Quinn Emanuel’s litigation experience is wide ranging. Among the firm’s practices are antitrust, appellate, bankruptcy, corporate disputes, environmental, insurance, intellectual property, international matters, life sciences, media and entertainment, products liability, and much more. Its largest practice is intellectual property, and more than 100 lawyers at the firm hold degrees in hard sciences or engineering. The firm’s mass torts practice has been widely recognized; its lawyers have been involved in such notable matters as the Fukushima nuclear accident, the BP oil spill, and the 9/11 terrorist attacks. The firm also boasts a notable appellate practice with extensive experience before the Supreme Court, federal courts of appeal, and state appellate courts.
Reach the Summit
Some firms treat their attorneys to dinners or tickets to a game. Quinn takes its crew hiking—and we’re not talking about a local trail in the firm’s backyard. Associates and partners pack their bags and head to locations around the world for hiking and bonding all on the firm’s dime. Past locations include Interlaken, Switzerland; Dolomites, Italy; Taos, New Mexico; Talkeetna Mountains, Alaska; The Laugavegur Trail, Iceland; and Grand Canyon, Arizona.
News & Awards
Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan LLP has elected the largest partner class in the firm’s history, Managing Partner John B. Quinn announced today. Half the new partners are women, four come from offices outside the United States, and three come from diverse backgrounds. “We have the best young lawyers anywhere—it’s part of our commitment to bringing clients the best,” Quinn said. “Our electing so many partners this year reflects the quality of our hiring and our ability to train and nurture the world’s best young legal talent.” The elections took place at Quinn Emanuel’s annual partnership meeting on Saturday, December 1, 2018.
- Represent Oro Negro in a $1bn lawsuit against its creditors for conspiring to drive it out of business. The firm also represents its U.S. shareholders in a NAFTA arbitration against Mexico.
- Returned $1.74bn to creditors of Lehman Brothers Holdings in litigation against Citibank regarding the valuation of derivative securities.
- Won an ITC exclusion order and jury verdict for Qualcomm finding Apple infringed four patents, leading to successful settlement of worldwide high-profile licensing dispute.
- Won a ground-breaking appeal for Walter Merricks CBE, on behalf of 46 million consumers, overturning the refusal to certify his class action against Mastercard, for unlawful anticompetitive interchange fees.
- Quinn Emanuel was awarded the National Impact Case Award at the Benchmark Litigation Awards for its work on the Waymo v. Uber matter. (2019)
- Law360 has once again (for the fifth time) named Quinn Emanuel one of the four firms general counsel “view as the most fearsomely competent litigators and the ones they least wish to see on the other side of the table.” (2018)
- Law360 selected Quinn Emanuel as a 2018 “Practice Group of the Year” in six practice areas: Banking, Intellectual Property, Product Liability, Securities, Trials, and White Collar.
- The firm was shortlisted for U.S. Law Firm of The Year by Legal Business 2018.
- Quinn Emanuel was named “Transatlantic Investigations Team of the Year” and John B. Quinn named “Transatlantic Law Firm Manager of the Year” by the Transatlantic Legal awards. The awards, which were judged by a panel of senior editors and reporters from The American Lawyer and Legal Week, recognized firms, lawyers and in-house legal departments for their work spanning the world’s two largest and most fiercely competitive markets. (2017)
865 S. Figueroa Street
Los Angeles, CA 90017
Phone: (213) 443-3000
Managing Partner: John B. Quinn
Hiring Partner: Bill Urquhart
Total No. Attorneys 2019:
750 - 1K
1st year: $190,000
2nd year: $200,000
3rd year: $220,000
4th year: $255,000
5th year: $280,000
6th year: $305,000
7th year: $325,000
Summer associate: $3,654/week There is a $105,000 clerkship bonus for federal judicial clerks. Qualifying double clerkships are eligible for $125,000.
Summer Associate Offers:
20 out of 20 (2Ls) (2018)
No. of Summer Associates:
20 total (14 2Ls; 6 1Ls) (2018)
Los Angeles, CA (HQ)
New York, NY
Salt Lake City, UT
San Francisco, CA
Silicon Valley, CA
Antitrust & Competition
Bankruptcy & Restructuring
Class Action Litigation
Crisis Law & Strategy Group
Cybersecurity & Data Protection
Domestic U.S. & International Arbitration
Employment Litigation & Counseling
Intellectual Property Litigation
International Trade Commission Proceedings
Investigations, Government Enforcement, & White Collar Criminal Defense Practice
Latin America Practice
Lender Liability & Other Banking Financial Institution Litigation
Life Sciences Litigation
Litigation Representing Plaintiffs
Media & Entertainment Litigation
Product Liability & Mass Torts Litigation
Structured Finance & Derivatives Litigation
*See firm website for complete list of practice areas and industries.