2022 Vault Rankings
- Pro Bono#13
- Firm Culture#20
- New York#23
At a Glance
“Unlimited pro bono hours counting towards bonus.”
“The hands-on mentorship.”
“Everyone is so nice and helpful.”
“Bonus paid in March.”
“Working in BigLaw is a demanding job regardless of which firm you work at.”
About Paul Hastings LLP
Over the last few decades, Paul Hastings has grown from a mid-market U.S. firm to an international outfit with strengths in employment, tax, and business law and big-name clients in more than 80 countries. With offices in Beijing, Hong Kong, Seoul, Shanghai, and Tokyo, the firm has become especially strong in Asian market dealings.
It Started with Three
In 1951, Harvard law grads Bob Hastings, Lee Paul, and Leonard Janofsky pooled their ambition to form a new firm in Los Angeles. They divided the workload three ways: Janofsky handled employment law matters, Paul dealt with litigation, and Hastings managed business law. In 1962, Charles Walker joined the trio as a partner, adding his name to the masthead and establishing a tax practice. Walker took a brief sojourn from the firm in the 1970s to accept a position in the Ford administration as Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for Tax Policy but soon returned to his tax work at the firm.
The firm grew over the next few decades organically—rather than merging or acquiring other firms—including overseas in Asia and the U.K.
Doing It All
Paul Hastings has long been synonymous with employment law. The firm regularly appears among the top 10 firms in Vault’s Labor & Employment ranking and is the only firm to have been named twice as The American Lawyer’s Labor and Employment Litigation Law Firm of the Year. Among the firm’s specialties include employee benefits and ERISA, employment discrimination, international employment issues, labor management, and restrictive covenants.
Another of the firm’s notable practices is real estate. The firm takes a cross-disciplinary approach to real estate work through which lawyers in the practice area work together with the firm’s corporate, securitization and structured finance, and tax teams to assist with all aspects of a real estate transaction. The firm is in the top 10 in Vault’s Real Estate ranking.
Of course, Paul Hastings’ expertise extends far beyond these two practice areas. The firm has a bustling transactional practice with more than 450 lawyers across the globe counseling on M&A, private equity, venture capital, and much more. The firm’s client list spans more than a dozen industries, including aircraft finance and leasing, energy, development and construction, health care, franchise and distribution, government affairs, hotels and resorts, investment management, real estate, life sciences, IT and eCommerce, OSHA, sports, telecommunications and media, and securities finance and capital markets. To keep up with client demands during the global financial crisis, Paul Hastings also established a subprime mortgage and credit crisis practice area, focusing on bankruptcy and restructuring, regulatory matters, litigation and investigations, and government advisory services.
Many firms give back through pro bono work, but Paul Hastings takes it a step further with its generous charitable giving. In the past year alone, the firm has donated to more than 140 charitable organizations. And the firm matches up to $1,000 in charitable donations per each employee every year.
The events of 2020 were a watershed for our culture. This caused us to double down our efforts to support our people. We are fortunate to have the technology and flexibility to move to a virtual setting. With COVID-19 creating a new world for all of us, the Firm created myriad of resources:
- COVID-19 Fund: distributing financial grants to PH people and their family members who are experiencing financial hardships from both the direct and indirect impacts of COVID-19.
- Regular global speaker programs on mental health, resilience, coping and staying healthy, as well as hosted weekly mindfulness and yoga sessions.
- Bi-weekly newsletter providing helpful resources on mental, physical, social, and financial wellness during the pandemic.
- Enhanced Employee Assistance Program (EAP) with mental health assistance and access to a digital guided therapy program that provides support in the areas of stress, anxiety, or depression.
- Enhanced parenting and family care resources.
News & Awards
- Handling many of the largest-ever anti-corruption and bribery settlements.
- Guiding companies through game-changing transactions that span borders.
- Leading our industry in successfully defending patents across forums.
- Helping global technology leaders deliver innovation and drive growth.
- A top-ranked firm on The American Lawyer’s A-List of the Most Successful Law Firms in the U.S., 2020 (11 years in a row)
- Perfect score for LGBTQ Equality, for the 14th consecutive year, 2020—Human Rights Campaign
- A top-ranked firm in the Financial Times’ Innovative Lawyers Report across Asia, Europe, and North America
- Top 10 for Overall Best Law Firm to Work For, 2021 (nine years in a row)—Vault
- Top 5 for Best Overall Diversity, 2021—Vault
200 Park Avenue
New York, NY 10166
Phone: (212) 318-6000
Chair of Firm: Seth S. Zachary
Managing Partners: Greg M. Nitzkowski & Ronan O’Sullivan
Total No. Attorneys (2021):
1K - 1.5K
No. of Partners Named 2021:
1st year: $205,000
2nd year: $215,000
3rd year: $240,000
4th year: $275,000
5th year: $305,000
6th year: $330,000
7th year: $350,000
8th year: $365,000
Summer Associate: $3,942/week
Managing Director, Talent Acquisition & Enrichment
No. of U.S. Offices: 11
No. of International Offices: 10
Century City, CA
Los Angeles, CA
New York, NY
Orange County, CA
Palo Alto, CA
San Diego, CA
San Francisco, CA
Banking and Finance
Bankruptcy and Restructuring
Labor and Employment
Litigation and Dispute Resolution
Mergers and Acquisitions
Tax Advisory Services
*See firm website for complete list of practice areas and industries.